Rega Planar 10 Turntable Review & Comments

In the summing up I thought was very poignant that the words "decent records" was used. I sometimes read turntable reviews and wonder sometimes if I am missing something, ie the bass was more detailed, controlled etc. I am not sure if I am supposed to appreciate this using my aged Planar3. I have tinkered in the past changing cartridges, tracking weights etc which do make noticeable changes, sometimes very noticeable but I would have to compare this turntable to mine I assume to really hear the differences, and that is not going to happen.

I think an interesting question is, is this better than the RP10 that is replaced?

The open cover bothers me. I started with my RP10 in suspended-frame mode, with the full cover. Then I went skeletal with the same cover the P10 uses for a while but was so paranoid about the exposed cartridge (not to mention dust ingress) that I went back to the full frame/cover. And what do you know, the suspended RP10 sounded better in my system as well... I will pick up the Apheta 3 once I've worn out my 2.

^ I know what you mean. I've got my RP10 is skeletal and I had a custom cover made which covers the whole TT and keeps all the dust out whist still allowing the it to be on display.
I've heard the Apheta 3 is marginally better so too this will be on my list once the 2 has worn out.
Ditch your Aria and swap in the Cyrus Signature Phono stage.

Oops my sig is out of date. I ditched the Aria and went Aura...

Custom cover would be my way to go with the P10 for sure.

Given the choice I would still go with a Gyrodeck as it is solid engineering, whereas the Rega while excellently engineered, looks like its been made to a fashion.

Bill

I borrowed a rega p8, my first proper foray into records. It was scary, as someone with big hands that don't keep steady I was scared of breaking something. It sounded amazing though, really good straight into my Devialet Expert 220. If you guys want a good phono stage then you really need to look at the newest Lejonklou ones. They're insanely good and I'd bet would out perform ANYTHING at the same price.

I like Rega's philosophy of 'less is more' even though perhaps they have taken it a little too far with some of their amplifiers.

Imho there is nothing more pretentious than some of those mega buck metal monster turntables, especially considering that it is mostly the cartridge that matters.

they have taken it a little too far with some of their amplifiers.
It's the sound that counts. Who needs a DAC and headphone socket? Or a remote to turn if off and on. The exercise does me good.

Given the choice I would still go with a Gyrodeck as it is solid engineering, whereas the Rega while excellently engineered, looks like its been made to a fashion.

Bill
Genuinely interested - which Gyrodek would you have in mind?

Oops my sig is out of date. I ditched the Aria and went Aura...

Filth, the Aura was one of the very best things I listened to last year and one of the very best phono stages full stop.

Ironically, in engineering terms, they are both pragmatic responses to known issues. Both try and keep the space between bearing and armboard stiff by overbuilding in that region and both try and reduce their absolute mass in specific areas. Obviously Michell uses suspension (albeit locked on my particular Gyro) whereas Rega feels it introduces more issues than it solves.

I've never fully shaken the idea that if John Michell had lived beyond 2003, the GyroDec would now look rather different- and if development had continued at the same pace as it had before, I suspect that some of the ideas and materials in the Planar 10 would be wearing a Michell badge too.

Doesn't appear much different to an RP10. Tweaked arm and ceramic brace between the bearing and arm plus some tweaks to the arm. I wonder if you were put the same cartridge on...

Rega always send the review models out with the latest gen of carts, so that potentially doubles perceived changes/improvements.

To those of you wondering whether the new Planar 10 is better than the RP10, imo, it is. I just recently upgraded my RP10 with the Apheta 2 to a Planar 10 with the Apheta 3. I know this isn’t an apples to apples comparison since I upgraded the cartridge as well. I had the RP10 for 4 years and my dealer gave me a nice trade in deal so I opted for the package including the cartridge. For reference my phono stage is the Luxman EQ500 that I upgraded from the Aria about a year ago (big improvement).

So what’s better? Bass definition and speed are definitely improved. Three dimensionality while excellent with the RP10 is even better with the Planar 10. I think dynamics are improved and the ability to hear further into the recording. I have the impression that tracking is improved but that’s just an impression not backed by measurements. Other intangibles are improved as well. The feel of the RB3000 arm “feels” better than RB2000 while cueing up a record. The control buttons on the new power supply have a better feel and work better than my old controller. I was using my RP10 in skeletal form with an aftermarket dust cover. I have no complaints regarding the new platter/tone arm cover of the P10.

I was able to trade in my RP10 and $3000 for the Planar 10 so I jumped on it. I know that I might have done better selling the RP10 outright but I didn’t want to go through the hassle of selling it on my own. If I would have only upgraded my cartridge to the Apheta 3, the street cost would have been $1600-1700 so for an additional $1400 I upgraded the TT as well so for me it was a no brainer. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom