Rega Planar 1 ?

vectra1

Hi Guys.
Looking at adding a Turntable to my system
Thought a Rega Planar 1 would satisfy my needs.
Rest of my system is :
Rotel A11 Tribute amp and CD 11 Tribute cd player.
I have a couple of questions.

1) The Rega has a Carbon cartridge included.
The A11 is ready for an MM cartridge, Would the rega be plug and play?

2) I notice there are 2 different planar 1's available at present. I assume this is just model/year change?
One is gloss black and the other is Matt black, I would personally prefer the gloss but maybe someone can advise?
Matt Black one

Gloss black one.

I was also offered a Dual CS440 for the same price range.
Dual CS440

Any advice ?
Thanks

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Yes - it'll be fine with the Rotel.

I think the Matt is a newer model, but performance wise I doubt you'll notice any difference.

The Carbon is a pretty average (re-badged AT) cartridge. It's worth looking at an upgrade to the AT VM95E cartridge. Much better quality for little money, needs no major changes to the TT, with the added bonus of being able to fit a much better stylus module with no further changes needed.

vectra1

Sounds good.
It would be plenty good enough to get me going, then look at upgrading to the AT VM95E cartridge .
Thanks

D

Deleted member 824153

The Planar 1 is a terrific starter turntable and couldn’t be more simple to set up. Screw on the counterweight and you’re good to go. The matte black version is just a different design, it is exactly the same as the gloss P1. Just plug into the phono input of the Rotel and play your albums. The Carbon is a basic cartridge but it’s a pretty good to get you started. For the money, I don’t think you can get a better starter turntable.

vectra1

Well,
TT arrived and am well pleased with it. One thing I overlooked when researching was the lack of auto return. This is only minor but would probably had looked at others with this feature. Anyhow, as I said I am very pleased with it. After being out of the Vinyl scene for over 30 years I need to build up a collection again, so for now it had to be the obligatory "Dark side of the Moon" album.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
244656637_416123040154772_6025868902252683249_n.jpg
245121338_252457056827070_8014799725107444011_n.jpg

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Congratulation on your purchase, a very solid choice and from a sound/£ stand point it is very hard to beat.

One comment, as you have the speaker and the turntable on the same unit just keep an ear out for the speaker output interfering with the turntable (especially the bass end). Sometimes the bass of the speaker can excite the turntable (through the cupboard top) and set up resonances that affect the sound. May not happen but worth listening out for.

Also, I would be surprised if you can find many turntables with auto return on them these days, I've not seen a decent one in a while advertised. So, by not having it you are not missing out as I suspect you would have to trade convenience with sound quality plus without an auto return you get a few more steps in per day !

P.S. Nice Toes :)

vectra1

Congratulation on your purchase, a very solid choice and from a sound/£ stand point it is very hard to beat.

One comment, as you have the speaker and the turntable on the same unit just keep an ear out for the speaker output interfering with the turntable (especially the bass end). Sometimes the bass of the speaker can excite the turntable (through the cupboard top) and set up resonances that affect the sound. May not happen but worth listening out for.

Also, I would be surprised if you can find many turntables with auto return on them these days, I've not seen a decent one in a while advertised. So, by not having it you are not missing out as I suspect you would have to trade convenience with sound quality plus without an auto return you get a few more steps in per day !

P.S. Nice Toes :)
Thanks,
I am not worried about that speaker as it is part of my TV system.
I am running this setup to a pair of Oberon 5's.

Haha,
Only spotted the toes now. :facepalm:

vectra1

D

Deleted member 824153

Auto return strikes me as one more thing to potentially go wrong. Keep it simple. You’ve got to get up to turn the ruddy thing over anyway :rotfl:

vectra1

Auto return strikes me as one more thing to potentially go wrong. Keep it simple. You’ve got to get up to turn the ruddy thing over anyway :rotfl:
Yeah,
I am just a bit concerned in case I may be out of the room when the record finishes and keeps spinning.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
As per the above, the Q Up is dead straight forward to setup and will do what you're wanting (kind of).

Once your tonearm swings towards the label, the Q Up will lift the tonearm off the record. It won't return it however (unless you're Doc Brown from Back to the Future and are creative with inventions :D).

vectra1

I think the Matt is a newer model, but performance wise I doubt you'll notice any difference.

The Carbon is a pretty average (re-badged AT) cartridge. It's worth looking at an upgrade to the AT VM95E cartridge. Much better quality for little money, needs no major changes to the TT, with the added bonus of being able to fit a much better stylus module with no further changes needed.
Hi @BT Bob

I wonder if you could elaborate on this?
In what way would it be the AT-VM95E an upgrade?
Sound Quality?
If so,
could you describe?
I am not entirely impressed with how it sounds at the moment. When I stream from Tidal it sounds better than Vinyl.

Is THIS the one you mean?

daddy999

Hmm, before disappearing down the new cartridge rabbit hole, I would consider looking to add an external phono stage, they can change the whole dynamics of a turntable set up and if you can test one before buying, all the better.

D

Deleted member 824153

I would agree with the above. The Rotel is a very good amp but the built-in phono stage can be bettered elsewhere.

vectra1

TheHighFlyingBirds

Thanks, @daddy999 & @Costello

Anything in particular ?
The ifi Zen phono gets great reviews from users on here (on my shopping list). Other notable mention is the rega fono mini a2d mk2, which has the benefit of allowing you to hook up to a pc to record your vinyl.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Hi @BT Bob

I wonder if you could elaborate on this?
In what way would it be the AT-VM95E an upgrade?
Sound Quality?
If so,
could you describe?
I am not entirely impressed with how it sounds at the moment. When I stream from Tidal it sounds better than Vinyl.

Is THIS the one you mean?
I did an upgrade for a mate's P1+ and found it better in every way. More detailed sound, much greater dynamic range (deeper and more controlled bass and clearer highs. More "musical".
Also, better tracking (important on the P1 as adjusting the anti-skate is not straightforward) and less inner-groove distortion.

vectra1

I did an upgrade for a mate's P1+ and found it better in every way. More detailed sound, much greater dynamic range (deeper and more controlled bass and clearer highs. More "musical".
Also, better tracking (important on the P1 as adjusting the anti-skate is not straightforward) and less inner-groove distortion.
Is it a straightforward swap or does it need specific setting up?

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Is it a straightforward swap or does it need specific setting up?
It's about as straightforward as it gets. You won't need to adjust the height of the arm or the anti-skate.
You will have to adjust the alignment (you can download a template from the Vinyl Engine forum and print it out (they have a very accurately-measured like printed up & down and side-to-side that you'll need to check to make sure the scale is right), and then adjust the counterweight.
It sounds complicated, but as long as you're methodical, careful and take your time, it's quite straightforward.
There are a number of videos on youtube that show you how to do it.

vectra1

AT-VM95E fitted today,
My wife was upstairs and came down to ask me what have I done as the sound is much better.
I think that says enough.
Pre amp next.
Thanks for the advice

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
AT-VM95E fitted today,
My wife was upstairs and came down to ask me what have I done as the sound is much better.
I think that says enough.
Pre amp next.
Thanks for the advice
Welcome - glad you liked it.
As I'm on a roll........ ;)

I had a Schiit Mani that I like for MM cartridge. They're great value, if you can find one.
I was less happy with the MC performance, so after a bit of auditioning, I landed on the Cambridge Alva Duo. Excellent phono stage with a very good built in headphone amp.
The iFi Zen gets some good reviews as well - so look I'd look at that as well.
There's always the Rega Fono MM as well, of course, but I preferred the sound of the Mani (albeit with a different cartridge.
Good luck in the quest - you're in the rabbit-hole now....... ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR