Rega P2 with Rega Fono MM Preamp into Edifer S880db's too loud at lowest volume

Hi Team,

I hope I have posted this in the right space, but was hoping someone could help with my problem of not being able to play my records at a quiet volume.

I purchased a Rega Planar 2, a Fono MM Preamp and a pair of Edifer s880db powered speakers for a nice minimalist turntable set up about 18 months ago.

It sounds great, but I can't get the volume down below a certain level, it just cuts out.

Is the Preamp too powerful?

Any help would be appreciated, I have tried to work this out myself but can't 100% nail it. Not sure if I need a Passive Volume Control or something similar?

Cheers,

Wade

FootHealer

Hi Wade,

Do the speakers do this with other sources? Perhaps try plug in a PC or CD player, even your phone and see if it does the same thing.

JBA6

Looking at the specs for the Fono MM and the Edifier speakers doesn't suggest the two would be incompatible but if you've not already tried this I suggest connecting the Fono MM to the Edifier's PC inputs instead of the Aux inputs. The PC inputs should only differ from the Aux by being less sensitive at 800mV instead of the Aux input's 600mV, there should not be any difference in sound quality. The other thing to try, again if you've not already tried this, is to switch the Edifiers from their default Classic mode to Monitor mode which according to the user manual " reproduces original and accurate sound". If after trying these things the sound still cuts out when the volume control is reduced below a particular setting then the volume control is probably faulty as there is no mention of this behaviour in the Edifier user manual.

If it seems the volume control is faulty then you could either look to get it replaced or you could add a passive stereo attenuator between the Fono MM and the Edifiers. A passive attenuator would allow you to set the Edifier's volume control to a higher setting for the same sound level.

--
JB

Hi Wade,

Do the speakers do this with other sources? Perhaps try plug in a PC or CD player, even your phone and see if it does the same thing.
Thanks for your reply :)

I connected my phone via bluetooth and it definitely went down to a quieter level before bottoming out in a similar way, going from some sound to nothing. Not sure if this behavior is normal or not?

Looking at the specs for the Fono MM and the Edifier speakers doesn't suggest the two would be incompatible but if you've not already tried this I suggest connecting the Fono MM to the Edifier's PC inputs instead of the Aux inputs. The PC inputs should only differ from the Aux by being less sensitive at 800mV instead of the Aux input's 600mV, there should not be any difference in sound quality. The other thing to try, again if you've not already tried this, is to switch the Edifiers from their default Classic mode to Monitor mode which according to the user manual " reproduces original and accurate sound". If after trying these things the sound still cuts out when the volume control is reduced below a particular setting then the volume control is probably faulty as there is no mention of this behaviour in the Edifier user manual.

If it seems the volume control is faulty then you could either look to get it replaced or you could add a passive stereo attenuator between the Fono MM and the Edifiers. A passive attenuator would allow you to set the Edifier's volume control to a higher setting for the same sound level.

--
JB
Thanks for the reply :)

I had already tried connecting to the PC input, no change in volume control :(

I generally have them set to Dynamic, but again no difference when switched to Classic.

Perhaps I should contact Edifer about whether the volume control could possibly be faulty.

Nico72

You could try using in line RCA attenuators at the end of the phono connectors. They can reduce by a given gain eg 12 dB, and will give you more range on the volume control

FootHealer

Thanks for your reply :)

I connected my phone via bluetooth and it definitely went down to a quieter level before bottoming out in a similar way, going from some sound to nothing. Not sure if this behavior is normal or not?
Using the phone via Bluetooth is not the best way to investigate the source of this problem...try plugging the phone, or a blu ray player, console, CD player, anything with an RCA out into the PC and AUX RCA in connectors via an RCA cable and see if it does the same thing.

Last edited:

FootHealer

Like you, I suspect the volume control is either poorly designed, or faulty. If you try a different source via RCA, you will know if it does the same thing, pointing the finger of blame at the speakers. If this us the case, either replace the speakers or keep them and get some RCA attenuators.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom