Rega P1 pre amp to Yamaha avr??

sta99y

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I have recently got into the Turntable side of things but an avid movie fan.
So, my new turntable is the Rega P1, which goes into the phono input on my Yamaha RX-V2065.

my speakers are MA radius 225’s main and a Bk xxls400 sub.
Also I have a 250 centre and 180 surrounds for movies.

Been listening in pure direct and enhanced 2 channel incorporating the subwoofer.
Old vinyl I’m having to turn the volume to -15 to have a a reasonable listening level, newer upto date vinyl I can listen at around -30/-25…..

would I be better off using a phono pre amp into another input to…1 improve the sound quality, 2 to improve the volume output?

I hope I have made sense and looking for good info.
Regards
Darrell

Good afternoon all,

I have recently got into the Turntable side of things but an avid movie fan.
So, my new turntable is the Rega P1, which goes into the phono input on my Yamaha RX-V2065.

my speakers are MA radius 225’s main and a Bk xxls400 sub.
Also I have a 250 centre and 180 surrounds for movies.

Been listening in pure direct and enhanced 2 channel incorporating the subwoofer.
Old vinyl I’m having to turn the volume to -15 to have a a reasonable listening level, newer upto date vinyl I can listen at around -30/-25…..

would I be better off using a phono pre amp into another input to…1 improve the sound quality, 2 to improve the volume output?

I hope I have made sense and looking for good info.
Regards
Darrell
Hiya @sta99y

Can you confirm this is the Rega Planar 1 Turntable you have purchased please?
Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-18.38.35.png

If this is the case... then the likely culprit here will be the cartridge.. depending on the cartridge type, it will have an output of between 0.2mv to 7mv... for most phono inputs you will want a cartridge with around 4mv stock .. or higher..

The "rega carbon" cartridge, which is why i am asking on the turntable type.. only has an output of 2.5mv .. I do believe this is the shipped cartridge with the P1.. The Yamaha requires a minimal of 3.5mv input on the phono, hence why you have to crank the volume

You should only ever use the phono inputs on the receiver.... to avoid damage to the unit.

The alternatives to a cartridge replace is based on the type of cartridge.. if it is a MC .. then the manual for the yamaha states to use an in-line booting transformer or MC-head amp..

If the Cartridge is an MM type.. which i suspect it is.. you have only 2 choices.. live the higher volume pot setting.. or change the cartridge for a higher output type

Hiya @sta99y

Can you confirm this is the Rega Planar 1 Turntable you have purchased please?
Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-18.38.35.png

If this is the case... then the likely culprit here will be the cartridge.. depending on the cartridge type, it will have an output of between 0.2mv to 7mv... for most phono inputs you will want a cartridge with around 4mv stock .. or higher..

The "rega carbon" cartridge, which is why i am asking on the turntable type.. only has an output of 2.5mv .. I do believe this is the shipped cartridge with the P1.. The Yamaha requires a minimal of 3.5mv input on the phono, hence why you have to crank the volume

You should only ever use the phono inputs on the receiver.... to avoid damage to the unit.

The alternatives to a cartridge replace is based on the type of cartridge.. if it is a MC .. then the manual for the yamaha states to use an in-line booting transformer or MC-head amp..

If the Cartridge is an MM type.. which i suspect it is.. you have only 2 choices.. live the higher volume pot setting.. or change the cartridge for a higher output type

Yeap that looks like it has the Rega Carbon Cartridge then at 2.5mv .... thats why its quiet on the Yamaha :)

At least you know your options now...

1) Stay with the Carbon and up the volume
2) Swap the Carbon for a higher rated cartridge
3) - Not really advisable.. but you "could" run a head amp between the P1 and an auxillary line in .

Hey thanks for that,
Yes it is the shipped cartridge, MM carbon.
So a likely upgrade should be the first port of call?

would prefer a fairly easy swap, I am familiar from online videos of swapping cartridges such as Red 2M which looked fairly easy, any others you would say to have a look at……especially as the mv needs to be higher than the MM carbon I’m currently using.
Thanks again

Darrell

Hey thanks for that,
Yes it is the shipped cartridge, MM carbon.
So a likely upgrade should be the first port of call?

would prefer a fairly easy swap, I am familiar from online videos of swapping cartridges such as Red 2M which looked fairly easy, any others you would say to have a look at……especially as the mv needs to be higher than the MM carbon I’m currently using.
Thanks again

Darrell
Hiya @sta99y

I'm not a phono player person myself so in terms of cartridges.. I'm not the best to ask here... but the Cartridge would be the easiest option to upgrade..

I would ask on the main forum for the cartridge upgrade which can be found here..

Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates

Or ask the dealer where you got the P1... or visit somewhere like an Audio T where they have the P1 in stock with different cartidges on offer and have a listen to see what sounds right to you.. as each cartridge will sound different

Yeap that looks like it has the Rega Carbon Cartridge then at 2.5mv .... thats why its quiet on the Yamaha :)

At least you know your options now...

1) Stay with the Carbon and up the volume
2) Swap the Carbon for a higher rated cartridge
3) - Not really advisable.. but you "could" run a head amp between the P1 and an auxillary line in .
Run a head amp?

Hiya @sta99y

I'm not a phono player person myself so in terms of cartridges.. I'm not the best to ask here... but the Cartridge would be the easiest option to upgrade..

I would ask on the main forum for the cartridge upgrade which can be found here..

Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates

Or ask the dealer where you got the P1... or visit somewhere like an Audio T where they have the P1 in stock with different cartidges on offer and have a listen to see what sounds right to you.. as each cartridge will sound different
Ahh silly me, I thought I had posted it on there and just realised I’ve put it into the speaker section 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

anyway I’d like to thank you for your time and help so far! Appreciated!!
I will continue to search for a solution and give Audio T a shout up!!

mucho gracias

Moderators if my post needs moving to the correct forum, please accept my apologies and move as per….
Regards
Darrell

Run a head amp?
head amp = phono preamp. most turntables have a preamp built in ... with just MM units often needing the additional oompf.. but this is why it was so far down the list on my suggestions and why yamaha only mentioned it on their manual for low output MM cartridges.. NOT ... MC cartridges..

Don't forget the like my posts / mark with thanks :) Just helps me keep track of what i have answered :)

The AT VM95e is a worthwhile cart for the P1. Has 4mV output and is easy to fit on the rega, as similar tracking weight to carbo, and doesn't need arm height changing, plus only £40 on AV online and allows upgraded stylus in the future.

Thanks to @gibbsy for moving to correct forum

thanks to @Orobas for your explanations….
That's what we're here for and hope it was useful for you on this occasion. I do get some stuff wrong at times but this one was a relatively easy one to sort for you and the second @gibbsy moved the thread here.. you got your cartridge replacement answer :)

The AT VM95e is a worthwhile cart for the P1. Has 4mV output and is easy to fit on the rega, as similar tracking weight to carbo, and doesn't need arm height changing, plus only £40 on AV online and allows upgraded stylus in the future.
Bit the bullet @TheHighFlyingBirds: on the AT VM95e.
£39.99 one day delivery prime.
Would I need to invest in some scales?
Also a rega alignment protractor?

anything else I should be looking for?
Im fairly savvy with tech stuff tbh.
Regards
Darrell

Bit the bullet @TheHighFlyingBirds: on the AT VM95e.
£39.99 one day delivery prime.
Would I need to invest in some scales?
Also a rega alignment protractor?

anything else I should be looking for?
Im fairly savvy with tech stuff tbh.
Regards
Darrell
I just got a cheap digital scale from amazon that works fine to set the tracking weight.

Also you can get protractors from vinylengine, which you can print out. Cant remember which one is best. Although just saw a post that said they are not allowing new members, don't know if thats still the case. If it is, I might have them saved on my laptop so could send some over to you, one was a rega one.

One thing to be careful of when removing the existing cart is to pull the wires by using long nose pliers on the connector and not the wire itself.

I just got a cheap digital scale from amazon that works fine to set the tracking weight.

Also you can get protractors from vinylengine, which you can print out. Cant remember which one is best. Although just saw a post that said they are not allowing new members, don't know if thats still the case. If it is, I might have them saved on my laptop so could send some over to you, one was a rega one.

One thing to be careful of when removing the existing cart is to pull the wires by using long nose pliers on the connector and not the wire itself.
Yeh scales are around a tenner, I looked today and also on vinylengine, a free print out pdf but not taking new members.

flea bay is a fiver for a rega so I will pick up too.
I guess the cartridge comes with the weight setting….
But thanks for the offer….

Yes I have seen to hold the connector part and it the wire to pull cable off the cart connectors…..

@Orobas
@TheHighFlyingBirds

upgrades are done…..

installed new Cartridge, aligned with rega protractor card, need to check weight of arm, have scales, just not done yet.
Brand nee Rega P2 glass platter with felt mat.
All looks good and sounds good!!

Many thanks!
Pics below
C2856032-C2D5-4B1F-8DFE-4D6A3EA46BD8.jpeg
1AF97E72-B796-4DA4-9E65-4FE0A145FAD4.jpeg

@Orobas
@TheHighFlyingBirds

upgrades are done…..

installed new Cartridge, aligned with rega protractor card, need to check weight of arm, have scales, just not done yet.

Many thanks!
Pics below View attachment 1554975View attachment 1554976
Looking nice and smart there and glad you got the result you needed in the end..

Just remember it needs 1.8 to 2.2g (2.0g standard) vertical tracking force .... with a 23 degree vertical tracking angle as per the spec of the AT-VM95E

AT-VM95E see specs

Looking nice and smart there and glad you got the result you needed in the end..

Just remember it needs 1.8 to 2.2g (2.0g standard) vertical tracking force .... with a 23 degree vertical tracking angle as per the spec of the AT-VM95E

AT-VM95E see specs
24E2A8E7-AD61-46E8-B0E7-4830F41796C0.jpeg

@Orobas
@TheHighFlyingBirds

upgrades are done…..

Many thanks!
Pics below View attachment 1554975View attachment 1554976
Nice. Hows the glass platter vs the original one? I want a glass or acrylic one for mine, look far better. I assume the top of the platter is the same height as the original?

Nice. Hows the glass platter vs the original one? I want a glass or acrylic one for mine, look far better. I assume the top of the platter is the same height as the original?
Hey, yeah it’s a nice look, also yes it comes up at same height, I’m not really sure if it sounds better, heavy for sure, so when it starts up, initially it’s slow but gets to speed like the plastic one did.
I’m not entirely sure my system shows massive differences as it’s not a dedicated two channel setup.

But aesthetics, yes looks mint!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom