1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rega or Project turntable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Moviebuff, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I'm looking at buying a turntable to use with my old record collection,and have been trying to decide which model.I have the opportunity to buy a Rega 3 which is mint for £160ish second hand,and I've also been looking at a new Project Expression at £199.

With regards the Rega,I can't yet confirm want tone arm it has installed.

Could anybody comment on these two choices,with regards one another,as I remember the Rega turntables and their good reputation,and realise that Project also have a reputation to be proud of.

Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers

Jerry

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I had a Rega Planar 3 until last year and then sold it because the second hand market was particularly strong (bought it for £120 in 2001 sold it for £250 in 2003). I replaced it with a used but mint Project Debut which sounds very nearly as good in my budget bedroom system. If you go for the Rega it will benefit from a decent cartridge and also has almost no protection from vibration so needs a decent equipment stand or wall shelf (Rega make a dedicated one for it). If you decide on the Project then go along and listen to 2 or 3 models spanning the £100-£250 bracket and don't spend more than you need to.

3. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I bought today a absolutely mint Rega 3 with RB300 plus Linn K9 - boxed and complete,but needing a new drive belt for £140.00 - I haggled the guy down from £180.00. It was in the local Yellow "Free Ads" (last weeks),and it hadn't generated any interest,so it seemed to me to be a buyers market & therefore chanced my hand.After finishing a night shift,I didn't get to bed today til 1.30 pm (boy'z and their new toys!!) - so I'll report back later on how I get along with it.

I do have a decent spiked equipment rack,so I'll see how it fairs on there.

Cheers for taking the time to reply. :thumbsup:

Rgds

Jerry

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For many years, the Regas were the only choice if the Linn LP12 was too much money. They still come out top, or nearly top, when they appear in group tests. I'd go for a Planar 3 with the RB300 arm, and if it comes with a K9 or Elys, so much the better.

The new Regas mean that nearly-new Planar 2s and 3s should have dropped in value.