Question Rega or Pro-Ject turntable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by P-P-S-S, Jun 15, 2015.

1. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have decided to add a turntable to my set up for casual listening. Since both performance AND design of the equipment is important to me I have narrowed my choice down to Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I am new to vinyl so would appreciate any advice or recommendations please.

2. Craig uk

Craig uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +983
    You really can't go wrong with either. The performance offered by these entry level decks, is incredible. Last night a few of us were testing the RP1 against a fully loaded Michell Gyro Se with the excellent Dynavector 20x2. The Rega punched well above its £250 price point, it is more than capable of doing justice to a good pressing on vinyl. Of course it didn't have the finesse of the Michell but the difference was remarkably close considering the vast difference in cost. I can certainly recommend the Rega from experience but the Project is very well regarded also and will surely sound fantastic too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. coffeeaddict68

coffeeaddict68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've got a basic rega upgraded playing through my vintage quad 44/405 pre power amp and mission 752f speakers - my wife got me it for Christmas and I think it sounds fab - just been out and bought 3 albums in hmv and listening now - love it!!

4. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    One more question I forgot to ask is: will either of them connect to my AV receiver (Anthem MRX300) without the need for a pre amp?

5. Craig uk

Craig uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +983
    The RP1 has no on board phono, so you will need to buy a separate phono stage if the Anthem doesn't have a "phono" line input. And possibly even if it does as most intergrated amps, even quite expensive ones only fit a cheap phono board which will easily be out performed by a dedicated phono stage from the likes of Rega & Project. Again Rega's entry level offering is excellent value for money and the perfect partner for the RP1..the Fono mini a2d.

The deck & phono can be had for as little as £330!

6. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi P-P-S-S

Did you get a Turn Table ? I am interested in your thoughts running through the MRX300 amp as I have the same model and was thinking about a TT for a while, just never got around to it yet.

Tim

7. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Tim. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get one yet. Since I am not in a rush either I am also thinking of waiting for a good deal to come up as well.

8. Member 459099

Member 459099
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Debut Carbon Phono USB version comes with the phono pre-amp built-in. So yes this one will connect to your AV amp without the need for off-board phono pre-amp. Great value at £399. But yes I am biased.

9. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,654
    I recently bought a Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB for £425 which had an Ortofon 2M Red cartdidge included. I looked at the Rega p3 also (although didn't demo it), which looks very good and is very customisable from what I understand, but things like electronic speed control and a cartridge are all extra (which were included on the Project). So although the Rega may have been a better deck, it didnt seem to offer as much "bang for buck" as the Project, but that is purely based on a function/features comparison rather than an actual performace comparison.