Rega Fono mm mk3 vs mk5

AndyCalvert

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded my speakers to Monitor Audio Silver 500's. Currently run by Roksan Caspian M2 CD/Amp/Power amp and a Clearaudio concept mm turntable. The phono stage been used is just a cheap Project one.
My first question is will upgrading at all give a much improved sound and my second question is what is the difference between the Rega Fono mm mk3 vs mk5? They seem to be very close in price. The mk3 gets lots of good reviews online but I cant find much out about the mk5. Thanks Andrew

I would guess at the moment you’d get most improvement from a phono stage upgrade.
No experience with the cart but a lot of the improvements from mkx to mky are pretty small so they don’t encroach on upper price points.

Ok thanks for the reply. I will probably just go ahead with my original decision and get a Rega Fono mm mk3 then since there is a lot of good reviews about it. Unless anybody else has any suggestions? On offer for £180 now compared to £220 for the mk5.

The Mk3 is an excellent phono stage.
Have one connected to my Rega Brio which has a more than adequate built in phono. However, the Mk3 gives a clear improvement in sound quality.

It’s probably the best £ for £ piece of kit that I’ve bought

The MK3 has a rounded box and hence is 'nicer' it also gives great sound. Only problem I have with it is the back moves a lot when you plug in the RCA cables (so hopefully you only need to do that once) and from photos I can not see that Rega have done anything about that on the MK5. I doubt there's any real difference in the circuitry, looks like cosmetic changes to me. Specs are exactly the same!

The MK3 has a rounded box and hence is 'nicer' it also gives great sound. Only problem I have with it is the back moves a lot when you plug in the RCA cables (so hopefully you only need to do that once) and from photos I can not see that Rega have done anything about that on the MK5. I doubt there's any real difference in the circuitry, looks like cosmetic changes to me. Specs are exactly the same!

Yes it is exactly the same, just cosmetic changes to match the current Rega amps.

Have just noticed that and it’s a pain as I’ve plans to buy an RP3 this year eventually getting the Neo speed control but that’s had a change of casing also.

Try a free audition of the Spartan 10. A bit more expensive than the Rega you're looking at so will push your budget but in a different league completely for sound.

Thanks for all the replies. Probably why I couldn't find any reviews on the mk5 then if its technically the same as the mk3. Cheers for the advice on the Spartan 10. Have had a read up on it, sounds good but I am not going to take the plunge on a new product. Plus I want a black one. Aesthetics and all. Placed order on Rega 3.

Note they’ve also changed the design of the Neo PSU to the “box” I’m upgrading to a RP3 later this year and was also considering the Neo so will have it source an “old” one now

I have just upgraded my speakers to Monitor Audio Silver 500's. Currently run by Roksan Caspian M2 CD/Amp/Power amp and a Clearaudio concept mm turntable. The phono stage been used is just a cheap Project one.
My first question is will upgrading at all give a much improved sound and my second question is what is the difference between the Rega Fono mm mk3 vs mk5? They seem to be very close in price. The mk3 gets lots of good reviews online but I cant find much out about the mk5. Thanks Andrew
and I can vouch that mk3 sounds better than the phono section in either elex-r or elicit-r. I was just posting if there is any audible difference between mk3 and mk5 and come across ur post.
Cheers

I recenly got mine from top to bottom: Neo PSU MK2 and the Fono MM MK5.
20230212_062425.jpg

Try a free audition of the Spartan 10. A bit more expensive than the Rega you're looking at so will push your budget but in a different league completely for sound.
Different league = not necessarily better sound…just a difference in sound, all things being subjective!

Different league = not necessarily better sound…just a difference in sound, all things being subjective!
Subjectively different league to my ears - and many others who have compared. Objectively measures better also. Better at not degrading / colouring the sound but if you want the sound degraded then that is indeed subjective

As Tom Nousaine would say….” And therein lies the social bias “

Makes a good read and case for audio conditioning …..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom