Question Rega Exact MM cartridge fitting

leight123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an RP3 with a RB330 tonearm and an Elys 2 cartridge and after much research have decided to upgrade to a Rega Exact MM cartridge. My local Rega dealer has unfortunately recently closed down so now with us in lockdown it looks like I will have to fit it myself or send the whole TT away to have it fitted by a dealer (which I really don’t want to do). So just wondered if anyone had any advice on how easy it is to do yourself? I’ve read that it’s pretty straightforward but haven’t managed to find any videos or instructional guides online, and the Rega site just states it should only be fitted by a Rega dealer. I also hear you need a cartridge alignment protractor - but not sure if there’s a best one to use?
Any help would be really appreciated..

I second the use of the Vinyl Engine protractors (make sure you check the measurements are exact when you print them), but if the Exact as a 3-point fixing (and I'm pretty sure it does) it should be pretty close anyway.
Couple of general points:
Keep the stylus guard on whenever possible.
Do it in the morning - or at least when you're not tired (a steady hand is pretty important).
When you remove and refit the wires from/to the cartridge, use a pair of tweezers or long-nosed pliers and CAREFULLY grip the tags NOT the wire. Be careful not to pull too hard on the wires as they come of the arm either, or you could snap them inside the arm.
Make sure you re-attach the right coloured wire to the right tag (take a photo before you disconnect in case the cartridge pins aren't coloured - I can't remember if they are or not).
TAKE YOUR TIME.

As above, give yourself a good amount of time for this. Changing the cartridge over is straightforward, but fiddly. Alignment can be infuriating, but is not rocket science either, and just needs a bit of patience.

I agree with what’s been said. It’s not complicated, just fiddly and because everything involved is so delicate, it can be a bit nerve wracking. But it’s really not the sort of thing any self-respecting vinyl user should have to rely on anyone else to do.

In addition to checking the alignment, also check and set the vertical tracking force (VTF) as the new cartridge may not be the same weight as the old one.

Oh and take your time :)

I picked up a set of decent digital stylus scales for about £8 off eBay for setting VTF. Also useful would be having a good light source nearby so you can see what your doing!

And, very importantly, before you start secure the arm to the arm support (a wire cable tie is good) and take your time.

I second the use of the Vinyl Engine protractors (make sure you check the measurements are exact when you print them), but if the Exact as a 3-point fixing (and I'm pretty sure it does) it should be pretty close anyway.
Couple of general points:
Keep the stylus guard on whenever possible.
Do it in the morning - or at least when you're not tired (a steady hand is pretty important).
When you remove and refit the wires from/to the cartridge, use a pair of tweezers or long-nosed pliers and CAREFULLY grip the tags NOT the wire. Be careful not to pull too hard on the wires as they come of the arm either, or you could snap them inside the arm.
Make sure you re-attach the right coloured wire to the right tag (take a photo before you disconnect in case the cartridge pins aren't coloured - I can't remember if they are or not).
TAKE YOUR TIME.
Thank you - really good advice, and all taken on board

And, very importantly, before you start secure the arm to the arm support (a wire cable tie is good) and take your time.
Thank you - i have seen that mentioned on a couple of the non Rega videos - and guessing its more secure that using the arm lock too..

Thank you - i have seen that mentioned on a couple of the non Rega videos - and guessing its more secure that using the arm lock too..

Depends on the arm but you should be fine with yours and not using much force anywhere as it’s not needed. The most delicate is getting wires off and on but it’s no big deal.

I agree with what’s been said. It’s not complicated, just fiddly and because everything involved is so delicate, it can be a bit nerve wracking. But it’s really not the sort of thing any self-respecting vinyl user should have to rely on anyone else to do.

In addition to checking the alignment, also check and set the vertical tracking force (VTF) as the new cartridge may not be the same weight as the old one.

Oh and take your time :)
TBH everything I have read/seen makes me agree that it's something I can do, but good to get some reassurance from everyone on here too - so thank you. I also have a digital meter for the VTF so all good there..

I picked up a set of decent digital stylus scales for about £8 off eBay for setting VTF. Also useful would be having a good light source nearby so you can see what your doing!
Fortunately I already have a digital meter for setting VTF, that I picked up and used when I first got the TT - as wanted to make 100% sure it was set up correctly from the dealer (which actually it wasn't - so I adjusted it). Good shout about the light source too, as it really isn't in the brightest part of the room - so will sort that before I start... Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom