Rega Elicit-R power consumption

matej86

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying a Rega Elicit-R but I'm having a hard time getting my head around its power consumption. The manual says 375 Watts. Now I know this amp doesn't have a standby mode, it's either on of off. What actual power consumption is it going to be using when idle if left on all the time as it seems like a huge waste of electricity if it's using that much power when not in use.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone

I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying a Rega Elicit-R but I'm having a hard time getting my head around its power consumption. The manual says 375 Watts. Now I know this amp doesn't have a standby mode, it's either on of off. What actual power consumption is it going to be using when idle if left on all the time as it seems like a huge waste of electricity if it's using that much power when not in use.

Thanks in advance
It wont be using 375w when idle, that'll be when its pumping out full volume.

I don't know and specs dont say, but im guessing just a few watts if its not doing anything.

I switch my Elicit off at the mains most nights. It's in it's fourth year of ownership now with no problems. I have left it one for several days, usually over the weekend when it will get heavy use and more so this next few weeks because of the football and my irrational hatred of the sport. It doesn't get hot when not in use. All I do is turn the volume right down.

Rega do not publish 'stand-by' figures as it doesn't have that mode. Confidence is there with the on/off push button on the front and Rega give a lifetime warranty for parts failure. I don't think you'll find a better amp for the money or even higher. Buy one with confidence and smile every time you listen to it.

Paul Miller's bench test records 37W power consumption at 'idle', and 270W at recommended power output.

Viewable here.

That's using a lot of watts in 'idle' compared to other amps and subwoofer amps.. i thought 5 watts of my sub is a lot. imagine a bi amped rega system.. that could mean at least 74 watts all the time, equivalent to leaving a small TV or having 10 or 12 bulbs on all the time, that's like leaving all the lights on all the time!

perhaps rega amps aren't designed to be left on all the time if they don't have a stand by mode?

however some audiophiles believe it will shorten the lifespan of an amp if turning on and off each time it's used?

That's using a lot of watts in 'idle' compared to other amps and subwoofer amps.. i thought 5 watts of my sub is a lot. imagine a bi amped rega system.. that could mean at least 74 watts all the time, equivalent to leaving a small TV or having 10 or 12 bulbs on all the time, that's like leaving all the lights on all the time!

perhaps rega amps aren't designed to be left on all the time if they don't have a stand by mode?

however some audiophiles believe it will shorten the lifespan of an amp if turning on and off each time it's used?

Rega amps come with a lifetime warranty. Run it however you are comfortable with (within reason).

Rega amps come with a lifetime warranty. Run it however you are comfortable with (within reason).
I couldn't find whether rega warranty is transferable or not and the wording isn't clear what's covered.. does it say against manufacturing defects or something like that and not against mis use.. I can't find either whether Rega recommend leaving the amps on all the time or not...and if leaving the amp on, whether to turn the volume down.

I couldn't find whether rega warranty is transferable or not and the wording isn't clear what's covered.. does it say against manufacturing defects or something like that and not against mis use.. I can't find either whether Rega recommend leaving the amps on all the time or not...and if leaving the amp on, whether to turn the volume down.
Fully transferable. The included printed manual has on the inside back cover has an owner's log with three registrations available. Owner/date/where purchased.

My stereo amp uses 170w at idle (volume @ zero) so I just switch on 30 minutes before a listening session along with my sub and cd player (which I have not yet measured).

My concern wasn't around temperature, just energy consumption. I know the idea of dropping £1,600 on an amp and then being concerned about the electricity bill seems daft but it all adds up.

Not daft at all, its about carbon footprint as well as the cost. Over someone's lifetime, if everything was left switched on, it all.adds up.

Even some of the expensive cars these days have stop/start technology! I'm sure the multi millionaire owners can afford to fill.up the tank of 5 litre v8 petrols but still...

Power consumption definitely makes a difference..ive noticed bi amping uses a lot more energy than one amp..i haven't worked out how much it costs but my meter spins faster.

Maybe go for a class D?

I think every hifi manufacturer should include power consumption in their specs, and include power consumption at different volume levels.. we dont run at max volume or drive a car at maximum speed everywhere.

Last edited:
My stereo amp uses 170w at idle (volume @ zero) so I just switch on 30 minutes before a listening session along with my sub and cd player (which I have not yet measured).
what amp you got that's so inefficient? 170w at idle? not 17.0w? is it a big class A amp?

Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3 integrated, it has a large (16kg) seperate but always connected by umbilical cables power supply.

As an aside I conserve a great deal of electricity (and Gas) in many ways and have a clear conscience!

Not going get that sweet class A fidelity though. I know I'm being picky, I'll stop.

Cyrus?

There is a solution, kind of. Arcam's hybrid class G.

If your speakers not single wire only, you could consider class A or AB or G for the tweeters and class D for the woofers.

..or just go for really efficient speakers..klipsch...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom