Rega Elicit-R better than Elex-R?

manishc

Novice Member
So my discussion is how much better (if indeed it is) is the Elicit over the Elex? I’ve never been able to orchestrate a side-by-side comparison. But have listened to both on my KEF LS50s, separately and fairly apart in terms of time. Anyone done a proper comparison, enough to present the pros and cons/likes and dislikes? I like them both but can’t settle on what you gain from the extra £700 for an Elicit. Would love to hear what others have experienced. Maybe someone here works in a hifi shop so can share their views.

gibbsy

Yes. It's a step up from the Elex for several reasons, more especially it's speed and control of the bass which is already good on the Elex. The Elicit takes that control to the next level. An increase in overall power, never to be sniffed at on any amp. For those with AV amps that have pre-outs the Elicit has HT by-pass which is so simple to set up and use.

Although both amps would need a standalone headphone amp if wishing to use headphones the Elicit has a dedicated line out which leaves the record loop option free.

There is a very good Elicit-R for sale in our classifieds (not mine). Less than a year old.

acgingersnaps

What @gibbsy said.
I have an Elex R. Super amp and capable of sounding brilliant. Especially if your speakers aren't insensitive monsters.
That said, as with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm currently thinking of upgrading to a Lyngdorf. I wonder if I would be if I'd stumped for the Elicit in the first place. Maybe, maybe not.

manishc

Novice Member
What @gibbsy said.
I have an Elex R. Super amp and capable of sounding brilliant. Especially if your speakers aren't insensitive monsters.
That said, as with most things, you get what you pay for. I'm currently thinking of upgrading to a Lyngdorf. I wonder if I would be if I'd stumped for the Elicit in the first place. Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe see if you can borrow a display model from a local hifi shop and compare side by side.

ben38

Sorry to jump on this thread but i have also been considering upgrading my amp and was looking at the Elicit in the classifieds on here to replace my Brio; however, as I have my amp paired with the Aria phono stage I wasn't sure whether i'd get such a significant bump in sound quality considering i listen mainly to vinyl. Appreciate thoughts?

manishc

Novice Member
Would also be interested in hearing people’s thoughts about using a phono pre-amp with an Elicit. Since posting, I have got myself an Elicit and have tried with and without the Fono Mk3. Quite different sounds. With the phono through the other inputs, the bass is much higher and pronounced but the mid vocals and soundstage quality is reduced. Without you get better detail. What do others think? Might start another thread on this if I can’t find one.

gibbsy

Sorry to jump on this thread but i have also been considering upgrading my amp and was looking at the Elicit in the classifieds on here to replace my Brio; however, as I have my amp paired with the Aria phono stage I wasn't sure whether i'd get such a significant bump in sound quality considering i listen mainly to vinyl. Appreciate thoughts?
You can still use the Aria into the standard line in on the Elicit. There are four inputs, 2 left, 2 right, on the phono input covering MM and MC for the TT. However the MC input can also be turned into a standard line by means of a switch, I have my SACD player using it. So no loss of inputs. You will also get the benefit of HT by-pass but lose a headphone jack.

ben38

You can still use the Aria into the standard line in on the Elicit. There are four inputs, 2 left, 2 right, on the phono input covering MM and MC for the TT. However the MC input can also be turned into a standard line by means of a switch, I have my SACD player using it. So no loss of inputs. You will also get the benefit of HT by-pass but lose a headphone jack.
Do you think the Elicit/Aria would provide much of leap in sound quality over the Brio/Aria though? My speakers are Tannoy Xt6f floor standers so was thinking that they might benefit from a bit extra oomph!

gibbsy

Do you think the Elicit/Aria would provide much of leap in sound quality over the Brio/Aria though? My speakers are Tannoy Xt6f floor standers so was thinking that they might benefit from a bit extra oomph!
Absolutely. The Elicit is a superb amp with exceptional control and speed. It drives my KEF R300s, which are quite difficult, with ease.

ashenfie

Hard call as the aria are an easy load to drive. Further it depends on your musical tastes too.

ben38

Absolutely. The Elicit is a superb amp with exceptional control and speed. It drives my KEF R300s, which are quite difficult, with ease.

Damn that's the expensive answer but I'm very tempted and i've been putting upgradeitus off for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom