Rega Elicit Mk5 Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Question for @Ed Selley
In your opinion, would there be any point or gains to be had from using a better transport than the Node?
Many thanks
Purely as a transport the Zen Stream is apparently better, some say much better, than the Node with regard to sound quality. Something like the Wiim Mini Streamer is probably comparable to the Node in terms of transport quality. Darko said the Wiim Mini and Mojo 2 is better than the Node (as a streamer and DAC) in terms of sound quality, but the Node just works with everything. The Zen stream has many reported issues, which seems to relate to which streaming service you use, but also network hardware in some cases. I’m looking at this amp and as a starter I’ll probably just use an old Chromecast audio puck, which is bit perfect through toslink. Though ideally I’d connect my tv to the optical, but I have a splitter as a fallback, as my Blu-ray player connects to coax in my existing amp (Cambridge CXA60) which has 2 optical and one coax. The Node is probably the safe option but you would be wasting money on the DAC if overall sound quality is important.

Purely as a transport the Zen Stream is apparently better, some say much better, than the Node with regard to sound quality. Something like the Wiim Mini Streamer is probably comparable to the Node in terms of transport quality. Darko said the Wiim Mini and Mojo 2 is better than the Node (as a streamer and DAC) in terms of sound quality, but the Node just works with everything. The Zen stream has many reported issues, which seems to relate to which streaming service you use, but also network hardware in some cases. I’m looking at this amp and as a starter I’ll probably just use an old Chromecast audio puck, which is bit perfect through toslink. Though ideally I’d connect my tv to the optical, but I have a splitter as a fallback, as my Blu-ray player connects to coax in my existing amp (Cambridge CXA60) which has 2 optical and one coax. The Node is probably the safe option but you would be wasting money on the DAC if overall sound quality is important.
i actually considered the Zen stream before going for the Node, but as you mentioned reported software put me off.
i actually have the Wiim mini streamer Mojo 2 and agree and with Darko in comparison to the Node using its inbuilt DAC.
As a transport only into the Mojo 2 and the Elicit DAC the Node is better, not night and day, but it does sound better.
Hopefully going for a Rega IO in a 2nd system, so will utilise the Wiim mini there.
I’d definitely recommend giving the Elicit a listen.

"With the Elicit Mk5, the same comparison made against the peerless NAIT XS3 comes down in the other direction."
This is the comment of your review that is not clear to me.
I would like to have an opinion on the comparison of these two amps.
I am particularly interested because two months ago I bought the naim xs3, the rega Elicit MK5 was not yet released, now reading the reviews of the Rega I have some doubts and maybe I still have time to change the naim xs3 with the rega Elicit mk5.
That is why I would like to have clarification on your comment that I have reported above.

"With the Elicit Mk5, the same comparison made against the peerless NAIT XS3 comes down in the other direction."
I am particularly interested because two months ago I bought the naim xs3, the rega Elicit MK5 was not yet released, now reading the reviews of the Rega I have some doubts and maybe I still have time to change the naim xs3 with the rega Elicit mk5.
That is why I would like to have clarification on your comment that I have reported above.
When he reviewed the Aethos he gave the overall win to the Supernait, however in this case against the XS3 he preferred the Elicit, and it’s £500 cheaper.

Wouldn't it be better to demo it yourself?
That would be the only true way for you to make a clear comparison.

Ed, thanks for the review.

I now understand why Rega have discontinued the DAC-R. If I didn't already have an Elicit-R combined with the DAC-R then this Elicit Mk5 would be at the top of my 'must audition' list...

I always thought the lack of a headphone output was a big omission with the Elicit-R and I'm glad this has been addressed by Rega with the Elicit Mk5.

Does anybody know if the currently selected input is remembered after the unit is powered off and powered back on again? (Things like this matter when there are other people in the household who are less techie and just want stuff to work).

With the steep rise in energy prices, I am starting to get a bit twitchy about leaving everything on all of the time. Does the unit have an energy saving mode when it's not active?

Regards,
James.

Ed, thanks for the review.

I now understand why Rega have discontinued the DAC-R. If I didn't already have an Elicit-R combined with the DAC-R then this Elicit Mk5 would be at the top of my 'must audition' list...

I always thought the lack of a headphone output was a big omission with the Elicit-R and I'm glad this has been addressed by Rega with the Elicit Mk5.

Does anybody know if the currently selected input is remembered after the unit is powered off and powered back on again? (Things like this matter when there are other people in the household who are less techie and just want stuff to work).

With the steep rise in energy prices, I am starting to get a bit twitchy about leaving everything on all of the time. Does the unit have an energy saving mode when it's not active?

Regards,
James.
The current input is remembered after switching off and on again.
Word of warning… it does get quite hot!

it does get quite hot!
I know there's a lot more packed inside the new model but I never found my Mk4 to get hot at all and it would sometimes be one for hours either for music or in HT by-pass. Mind you I've always been a little paranoid about heat build up and all of my amps are given a lot of breathing space as well as sliding doors on the cabinet left open during operation.

The Elicit had 20cm of clearance above it. As I said, paranoid.

I wouldn’t say one is better over the other IMO, it’s more a case of signature preference.
I obviously overall prefer the Elicit, but I like the XS3’s phono stage more.
I also like the fact the Elicit is a one stop shop, had I kept the XS3, I’d imagine in the future, I’d be thinking about upgrading PSUs etc.

Energy prices yeah, just from today another raise to about £0.29/kWh.

Is there a low power standby mode on this amp or are Rega still making always on mini ovens?

Would a smart power switch be a solution. A tap on the phone to power it on and off when needed.

i went through 3 Zen Streams, none where stable. settled on the Node, it just works without fail every time. must admit the ZS does sound slightly better and this is why i stuck with it for so long, hope springs eternal

how does the Elicit mk5 compare with the Brio3? was thinking about upgrading to the Elex, but maybe i will go direct to the Elicit?

how does the Elicit mk5 compare with the Brio3?
There is a fair difference between them to be honest. Although the Brio has some trickle down input from the previous Mk4 Elicit it gets nowhere near the performance of the Elicit and the new Mk5 will increase that gap.

how does the Elicit mk5 compare with the Brio3? was thinking about upgrading to the Elex, but maybe i will go direct to the Elicit?

I have an Elicit-R and the latest incarnation of the Brio amplifier.

I drive KEF R300 series speakers from the Elicit-R, and drive KEF LS50 speakers from the Brio.

I don't think you can do a comparison in that way and say one is better than the other. I see them as designed for difference purposes.

My room with the KEF LS50s is much smaller and the small foot-print of the Brio fits into the room environment really neatly. Bigger speakers and a bigger amplifier in this small room would be overkill and atheistically it wouldn't work.

The Brio is perfect for the LS50s and sounds wonderful.

The Elicit-R is heavy, solid and pretty big and it sits in a bigger room with bigger speakers. So again, I'd say the Elicit-R is a perfect paring with the KEF R300 speakers.

Your choice of amplifier should be based on the speakers you wish to drive and the size of the room. The room and its acoustics make a massive difference to how things sound.

Regards,
James.

I have an Elicit-R and the latest incarnation of the Brio amplifier.

I drive KEF R300 series speakers from the Elicit-R, and drive KEF LS50 speakers from the Brio.

I don't think you can do a comparison in that way and say one is better than the other. I see them as designed for difference purposes.

My room with the KEF LS50s is much smaller and the small foot-print of the Brio fits into the room environment really neatly. Bigger speakers and a bigger amplifier in this small room would be overkill and atheistically it wouldn't work.

The Brio is perfect for the LS50s and sounds wonderful.

The Elicit-R is heavy, solid and pretty big and it sits in a bigger room with bigger speakers. So again, I'd say the Elicit-R is a perfect paring with the KEF R300 speakers.

Your choice of amplifier should be based on the speakers you wish to drive and the size of the room. The room and its acoustics make a massive difference to how things sound.

Regards,
James.
maybe i will stick with the Brio since my room is pretty small. driving the Rega RS1's it pretty nice. i would love to hear it with the KEF's. no dealer near me however and KEF never answered my emails?

Last edited:
maybe i will stick with the Brio since my room is pretty small. driving the Rega RS1's it pretty nice. i would love to hear it with the KEF's. no dealer near me however and KEF never answered my emails?

I’m surprised KEF didn’t answer, they are usually very responsive. I’d try them again.

Good independent dealers will usually let you do a home audition for a week - that way you are hearing the speakers in your room with your amplifier.

I did a home audition of my KEF R series speakers and Rega Elicit-R before final purchase (two different dealers, both happy to provide a home audition service - but you have to ask).

I had originally planned to get the bigger R500 speakers, but a home audition proved they sounded too dominating in my room whereas the R300s sounded great.

There’s no way that these room environment issues could have been picked up in an in-store demo.

Regards,
James.

Any thoughts as to how good the built-in DAC is? As good as the Rega DAC-R?

@Ed Selley , did you take the opportunity to compare it with the Chord Qutest you used for this review?

Any thoughts as to how good the built-in DAC is? As good as the Rega DAC-R?

@Ed Selley , did you take the opportunity to compare it with the Chord Qutest you used for this review?
odd that Rega would include a built in DAC? i am running my Brio with the excellent Denafrips Ares2

I had the latest Brio and Elex on home demo, love both, the Elex suited my Tannoy Precision 6.4’s and room better. I also had the Naim XS3 on loan and preferred the Elex but I knew the Elicit 5 was on its way. After a home demo of it I was stuck by how detailed it was without being to bright, the sound stage wasn’t as impressive as the Naim super nait 3 but more musical. But, as the Elicit is much less expensive I would give it to the Rega. Verdict, excellent, but not quite outstanding, but I have also had the pleasure of some serious kit that I can’t afford and this may have spoilt my view. Will probably go back to PJ Hi Fi in Guildford and hand over £2000 in the autumn. Tested with Node2i (Amazon HR) and Pro Ject carbon TT.

Sorry I accidentally posted twice and forgot to mention the Elicits dac, switching between the Node’s dac and the Elicits, I couldn’t hear any real difference.

really, the DAC in the new Node must be pretty good? i am using my 2i with the Ares2

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom