Rega Elex-R

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by darthgary, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

1. darthgary

darthgary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm planning on getting an Elex-R to go with a Rega Planar 6 with Ania MC and some Kef R3 Standmount speakers.

I was just wondering if I'd be able to hook up a TV and Xbox to the Elex-R also so it can double up as a Hi-fi system and surround sound for the TV/Xbox (will later be adding some more speakers), does anyone know if this is possible or even suggestable? I've noticed the Elex-R doesn't have an HDMI port or anything like it, I'm a bit new to it all so any advice/suggestions are extremely welcome.

2. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    The rega won't do surround. To do stereo you'd probably have to add a dac to plug tv output or game output

3. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    You be better to buy an av receiver that has a phono input, you'll likely take a small hit on out and out music quality, but the convenience may make it worth it to you

4. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,140
    The Rega is a pure integrated stereo amp for two channel use only. As mentioned what you need is an AVR which has multiple HDMI inputs and built in amplifiers for driving at least five speakers and a sub-woofer.

Stereo amps can be integrated into a surround sound system to drive the stereo speakers for far better musical reproduction. For this you would still need an AVR and the stereo amp should have HT by-pass built in. Unfortunately the Elex does not have HT by-pass and for this you would need the Elicit-R. Personally I would pair the new KEF R3s with the Elicit-R.

5. darthgary

darthgary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys - so in laymans terms - if I get the Elicit-R instead, then this will both power the Kef R3's for my REga Planar 6 hi-fi and also my Xbox and TV with the KEf's for surround sound?

6. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    No

This only gives you the option to add an av receiver and still use the rega as a stereo unit.

You probably should be looking for an av receiver that also is considered good with music. This will simplify your setup. Most av receivers have multiple digital inputs. I think a lot of Arcam av receivers are also considered great for music

7. darthgary

darthgary
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is I don't really want to compromise on either the Hi Fi (would defeat having a great turntable) or on the surround sound.

So now am thinking just to get an AV receiver as well as the Rega amp, but am unsure if you can have two different units attached to the speakers, is that possible at all in anyway with split cables or something like that unless they just are able to have both connected.

8. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    You can connect 2 and have one working with music, the other with movies as long as you get compatible units.

I agree about not compromise, but some av receivers are superb with music also

9. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    The thing to look out for is "HT Bypass" (some brand call it something else e.g. processor mode) on the stereo amp and pre-out sockets on the AV receiver (at least for the fronts). You connect the AVR Front Preouts to the Stereo Amp HT Bypass input and when you list to surround just put the stereo amp on the HT Bypass input, this then turned the stereo amp into a power amp and the AVR controls volume. When Listening to stereo just use the other stereo inputs as normal and the AVR can be turned off. The trick is to make sure stereo sources (CD, Turntable, Audio STreamer etc.) are plugged into the stereo amp and surround sources (Blueray, TV, Sat box etc.) are plugged into the AVR.

AFAIK the Elex-R doe snot have HT Bypass but the Elicit-R does. Happy to be corrected on this.

10. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,140
    The Rega Elicit-R does have HT by-pass, all those amps below the Elicit do not have it. I use the Elicit within my 5.1.2 set up to drive the front KEF R300s. The 300s and the Elicit are perfect partners especially so for music.

You will use a receiver for surround sound. The receiver must have, at the very least, pre-outs for the front left and right speakers (any model Denon from the X3500 upwards). The Denon would then be connected to the Elicit from it's pre-outs by RCA to the Elicit's Direct Input. I quote from the Elicit's manual: ''This input is routed directly to the power amp amplifier input with no volume control. The intended use is with multi channel systems where the traditional two channel system is used as the front speakers.'' The volume is controlled from the Denon.

Your front stereo speakers will only be connected to the Elicit. To use as a surround system both the Denon and the Elicit would be powered up. You would need to select the direct input mode on the Elicit by means of the button on the facia or the remote control. To use for stereo music from your turntable you simply use the Elicit as normal, the Denon would be turned off.

It works seamlessly. As far as the Elicit and the R300s are concerned it drives them beautifully. Bass has exceptional control, quick and responsive. I don't think that for the cost of the Elicit you will find a better amp to drive the 300s.