Question Rega Elex-R vs Marantz PM8006 vs Naim...

Helix Hifi

I’m currently investing if it may be better to switch from Marantz to Rega. Both are in the same ballpark when it comes to price. I do enjoy my Marantz PM8006, but I’m wondering if the Rega can give me more prat. I own the Rega Dac R, so I’m not a stranger to the Rega sound. I’m interested in the Rega because it uses some sort Class A transistor technology, though not of course fully Class A. I do enjoy a warm sound vs neutral. I’m intrigued what the Rega can do since Classe A is famous for its warm house sound vs neutral. I’m also wondering about Naim. But the Naim amps I’ve looked at cost twice as the ones I mentioned. In my opinion it’s wise to spend too much money on an amplifier if the speakers is not on pair with amplifier. But this is not case always. I appreciate your replies.

Last edited:

matthewpiano78

What speakers are you using?

The amplifier you have is a thoroughly capable one and contrary to what some reviews might have you believe, it's going to be a pretty close call between that and the alternatives you mention. Bearing this in mind, I would suggest you don't do anything without comparing them.

The Rega is a conventional Class AB amplifier, but it's not the technology that matters, it's how closely an amplifier meets your ideals within your budget. The Naim Nait 5si is a direct competitor to the Elex-R, and around the same price. Out of the two I would personally opt for the Naim, having owned the Rega and having listened extensively to the Naim. I find it that bit more musically cohesive, though opinions to the contrary are equally valid.

MaryWhitehouse

Firstly you'll never know unless you try them in your room. The Marantz will be seen by many as very mainstream and warm. The Rega a bit left field and warm and the Naim as needlessly expensive and clinical. Which is correct for your room only an in home audition can tell.

acgingersnaps

Hi. What speakers are you using? You have a good amp that will happily drive most speakers. If you're not 100% about the sound you're getting, I'd suggest you have far more chance of making a big difference with a speaker change/upgrade.

acgingersnaps

The Dali Oberon 5.
If it's PRAT you're after, maybe keep the amp and swap to stand mounts at a similar price point to the oberons, or if you can afford to move up to something like the kef r3?
I listened to the 8006 when i got my Elex R. I preferred the sound of the rega, but it wasn't night and day. At the end of the day, they have similar power figures and driving capability, so how different can they really be

Helix Hifi

Thanks for your reply’s. I guess I’ll stick with what I got. But sometimes it’s nice to switch to something new...Stand mounted speakers is not my taste. The bass is not deep for my taste. I have a tread about the Spendor A2. Regarding speakers. It’s just a shame they are so expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom