Rega Elex-R flat sound

Lobito

Hi everyone, I just bought a used Rega Elex-R in very good condition for only 700€ but I am not fully satisfied.
The Rega drives a pair of Dynadio Emit M20s and I use a Marantz HD-DAC1.

The Elex-R sounds good, it's not a bad amp.
Has detail, resolution, openess, soundstage and transparecy but it has a forward sound characteristic in the lower-middle treble range, I'm not saying it's bright.
It has a lean and flat sound with my Dynaudio.
IMO it's like the Emit M20 really needs power to show his potencial because of their low impedance/low efficiency. I would say >200wpc .

I'm looking for a fuller and warmer sound but without losing detail and rhythm.
I have discarded the Hegel H80 and the Naim Nait 5si because they sounded subtle and detailed but dull and boring, they lack punch with Emit.
I'm looking at a Roksan Kandy K2 that has a very good driving capacity thanks to a 500VA toroidal, I'd go with K2 since I read that the K3 seems to sound more neutral and bright than the K2.

Does anyone have experience with the Roksan K2?
Any idea about another amp is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can you give us a working budget and some sense of the features, if any, that you require?

You might want to give a look at Rotel Amps. The RA-1572 has 120w/ch and a DAC, and the RA-1592 has 200w/ch and a DAC.

Steve/bluewizard

larkone

More likely that the speakers are not a good match for the room if you have had no success with other amps that are known to have a good reputation for their sound (Naim/Hegel)

gibbsy

I would say a room problem as well. The Elex is a very dynamic amp with a good mid range. Think you should post a photograph of the room and describe the flooring, walls and furnishing. Adding power is not going to solve the problem of a highly reflective room.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
There is an ‘amp gain’ facility on the Marantz.

It seems to be just for the headphone amp, but it may work for the phono outputs too.

Check in settings to see if it’s on low gain.

Worth a short as it won’t take long.

gibbsy

There is an ‘amp gain’ facility on the Marantz.

It seems to be just for the headphone amp, but it may work for the phono outputs too.

Check in settings to see if it’s on low gain.

Worth a short as it won’t take long.
Headphones only. Three steps with the highest being aimed at high ohm loading headphones.

Lobito

Can you give us a working budget and some sense of the features, if any, that you require?

You might want to give a look at Rotel Amps. The RA-1572 has 120w/ch and a DAC, and the RA-1592 has 200w/ch and a DAC.

Steve/bluewizard
I have a budget of 1000 €, it's okay also used.
I want an integrated amp with a strong bass, articulated and precise, warm midrange and not forward or bright treble.
There must be detail, punch and dynamic.
I don't want an amp with digital or bluetooth connections because I already have the Marantz DAC that I really like.

Lobito

Have you ever heard the Dynaudio Emit M20 sounding great with any amp? If so, what was that amp? And what was the listening room size/shape?
One of my father's friend had me try a Musical Fidelity A5 and the Emit M20s sounded really good with it but it was his and not for sale.
My room size is 5x4 meters.

Last edited:

Lobito

I would say a room problem as well. The Elex is a very dynamic amp with a good mid range. Think you should post a photograph of the room and describe the flooring, walls and furnishing. Adding power is not going to solve the problem of a highly reflective room.
I have read that other people have also experienced lean sound with the Rega Elex-R and Dyanudio.
Do you think Elex-R has a good midrange?

Last edited:

gibbsy

I've only listened to the Elex-R in a demo room and it was pretty good. Mid range was strong and detailed. I've got the Elicit-R and that has a very dynamic md range and is very good indeed with high female vocals. One of my demo CDs is Joni Mitchell's wonderful Blue album and she does go high on the tracks in there. The Elicit handled them with aplomb.

As the Elex is just a scaled down version of Elicit I cannot see the mids being a problem. If the room is not right that does have a fair size then something is effecting those mids and it's usually room construction and furnishings.

Until you provide us with a photograph of the room with your speaker's positions then we are really shooting in the dark.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you’re convinced it’s a power problem and not the room, then you’ll not need more than this bad boy delivers.

Alternatively, if you really want to bring power and finesse to the party and can increase your budget a bit then go for this... you’ll not do better for less than twice the price.

tazzo1

I demo'd the original K2 with a K2 CDP in my room, it was like a veil had been put over the music. Needles to say I got rid of hit, it sounded awful. The later K2 BT version is much better.

dogfonos

One of my father's friend had me try a Musical Fidelity A5 and the Emit M20s sounded really good with it but it was his and not for sale.
My room size is 5x4 meters.
I thought maybe that the speakers were too small for your listening room but that's not the case here. Unless the room is very unusual in shape or construction, I would expect the Emit M20's to be a good size match for the 5m x 4m room. Have you tried moving the speakers and listening position around? Whilst it may not be practical to permanently re-position speakers and listening spot, it would be a good idea to temporarily try this out just to hear how sound is affected. And if you can't get the system to sound good whatever the positioning, then it appears you will need to change one or more components.

Just to check my understanding...
When you tried out the MF A5 amp with your Emit M20's, was it in your current 5m x4m listening room or another room?

tazzo1

The speakers I used where Mission Elan 34, I used a BK XLS200 as well and the bass was flat out terrible, undefined and more like a drone.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom