Rega Elex R Fault

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys not sure where to go on this but my amp has developed a fault!
It seems that the right channel volume goes right down. its still outputting a sound but its just relly quiet. Sometimes when its on it works fine but then after a while, it goes off.
Anything I can look at or try?

No one?

So I've established that the amp gets hot and then the speaker almost cuts out down to a very quiet noise.

There have been issues with some Rega units getting hot and cutting out. Not had any problems with my Elicit-R although I know there are a couple of You Tube clips with one cutting out. My Elicit runs very cool indeed and it's usually on for about five hours a day.

There have been issues with some Rega units getting hot and cutting out. Not had any problems with my Elicit-R although I know there are a couple of You Tube clips with one cutting out. My Elicit runs very cool indeed and it's usually on for about five hours a day.
Thanks for replying dude. Was told by a dealer to bring it in and they will get it sent off, no idea why rega don't allow direct customer returns seems damn odd!

That's the general policy with warranty returns, it has to go back to the dealer. I've just had a fright with my Marantz player, flaming tray wouldn't open. If this has to go back to the dealer it's a real pain. I always prefer to buy from a dealer's store as it makes returns so much easier.

If the Rega is under warranty then I would definitely get it seen to. I pretty sure they do get return to Rega and not repaired in house.

That's the general policy with warranty returns, it has to go back to the dealer. I've just had a fright with my Marantz player, flaming tray wouldn't open. If this has to go back to the dealer it's a real pain. I always prefer to buy from a dealer's store as it makes returns so much easier.

If the Rega is under warranty then I would definitely get it seen to. I pretty sure they do get return to Rega and not repaired in house.
100% it goes to Rega, just dont see the need to go through a dealer for it. And it was not bought from a dealer, unfortunately. And not sure of the warranty in the uk on them!

My Elex r has developed a buzz on one channel - it is enough to be annoying especially as you turn up the volume. I have swapped speakers and cables around, but the fault is persistent - it seems only to exist on the phono. I have a Funk Gett deck connected, and it is earthed ! The speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300, with good quality properly terminated bi wire cable. Any ideas appreciated

My Elex r has developed a buzz on one channel - it is enough to be annoying especially as you turn up the volume. I have swapped speakers and cables around, but the fault is persistent - it seems only to exist on the phono. I have a Funk Gett deck connected, and it is earthed ! The speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300, with good quality properly terminated bi wire cable. Any ideas appreciated
Presumably the cables you swapped round included those from the TT.
If not, do that to be sure that the fault symptom:
Stays on the same side.....to confirm the amp has the problem.
Or, appears on the other channel......proving that the problem is before the amp.

Presumably the cables you swapped round included those from the TT.
If not, do that to be sure that the fault symptom:
Stays on the same side.....to confirm the amp has the problem.
Or, appears on the other channel......proving that the problem is before the amp.
Yes - swapped cables around to speakers, and also swapped speaker (different set) - the interconnect from the deck is fixed, so just reversed at amp end. There is no buzz on any other of the inputs

thanks

Yes - swapped cables around to speakers, and also swapped speaker (different set) - the interconnect from the deck is fixed, so just reversed at amp end. There is no buzz on any other of the inputs

thanks
......In which case, you've narrowed down the fault location to a specific area within the amp;
one channel within the phono preamp stage.
It's always good to give specifics to any repairer.
Depends how competent / bothered you might be to open the amp up and take a look yourself - the phono stage may or may not be within its own screened box, but would be easy enough to identify.

......In which case, you've narrowed down the fault location to a specific area within the amp;
one channel within the phono preamp stage.
It's always good to give specifics to any repairer.
Depends how competent / bothered you might be to open the amp up and take a look yourself - the phono stage may or may not be within its own screened box, but would be easy enough to identify.
Thanks - it is till under warranty so I'll contact local rega dealer

[QUOTE = "gibbsy, message: 26885181, membre: 195913"]
Il y a eu des problèmes avec certaines unités Rega qui chauffent et s'arrêtent. Je n'ai eu aucun problème avec mon Elicit-R bien que je sache qu'il y a quelques clips You Tube avec un découpage. Mon Elicit fonctionne vraiment très bien et il dure généralement environ cinq heures par jour.
[/CITATION]

Bonjour, je suis français donc j'espère que vous me comprendrais pour la traduction. Je viens vers vous car j'ai le même problème avec mon ampli Rega susciter R et je voudrais savoir si votre marche en continue plusieurs heures c'est à dire plus de 10 heures? Je trouve pas ça normal qu'un ampli coupe au bout de 5 heures. J'ai acheté le mien en 2014 quelques années plus tard j'ai du l'emmené 3 fois au magasin ou je l'avais acheté mais il n'y a rien trouvé au début il coupé au bout de 5-6 heures puis il est descendu à 3 heures pour finir en 2018 à 1 heure. Du coup en 2018 je l'ai déjà une fois de plus emmené au magasin où je l'avais acheté ils ont été envoyés à l'usine Rega et on conclu à un défaut des courants de repos côté gauche. a été rendu alors qu'il fonctionnait super bien mais malheureusement je suis rencontré au bout de 4 à 5 heures d'écoute il se coupe de nouveau. Est-ce vraiment normal? De nombreuses personnes se plaignent du même problème et je pense que ce n'est pas normal qu'un ampli se coupe comme ça. https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... ut.212417 /
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-s ... licit.html
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... on.764193 /

merci d'avance pour vos retour.
Quelqu'un à t'il déjà fait réparais son ampli pour que le problème recommence?

Hello, I'm French so I hope you understand me for translation. I come to you because I have the same problem with my amp Rega arouse R and I would like to know if your walking continues several hours ie more than 10 hours? I do not think it's normal that an amp cuts after 5 hours. I bought mine in 2014 a few years later I had to take it 3 times to the store or I had bought it but there was nothing at first cut it after 5-6 hours then it went down at 3 o'clock to finish in 2018 at 1 o'clock. So in 2018 I already once again took it to the store where I had bought it they were sent to the Rega factory and we concluded a defect of the rest currents left side. was rendered while it worked super well but unfortunately I'm met after 4 to 5 hours of listening it cuts again. Is that really normal? Many people complain about the same problem and I think it's not normal for an amp to cut like this.

@ugo68 it was @The Dude that had the original problem so hopefully he will reply to you. I regularly use my Elicit-R for over 10 hours a day with no problems and I'm into the third year of ownership. I use 8 ohm speakers with it and the unit has plenty of ventilation.

@ugo68 c’était @The Dude qui avait le problème d’origine alors j’espère qu’il vous répondra. J’utilise régulièrement mon Elicit-R pendant plus de 10 heures par jour sans aucun problème et je suis dans la troisième année de propriété. J’utilise 8 haut-parleurs ohm avec elle et l’unité a beaucoup de ventilation.

Hi Guys, i got it sorted in the end and i suppose i should have updated the thread, after some good investigating by my part and upgrading to the elicit R i found out that one of my RCA cables was faulty...

Yes but i couldnt tell the wife after dropping 1400 that the old amp was fine!

yes its such a lovely amp, its a little soft sometimes but its got htc passthrough which is ideal.
Its an upgrade but not sure its that big of an upgrade

Bonjour,
thank you for the returning mine has no cable problem but it cuts anyway.

Bonjour,
Il m'est impossible de joindre l'importateur en France et le problème continue quelqu'un serait-il où exactement ce problème de coupe (quelle partie faut-il interroger?)? La Rega doit bien connaître le problème, compte tenu du nombre de personnes atteintes de ce problème.
Merci d'avance pour votre aide.

Bonjour,
Il m'est impossible de joindre l'importateur en France et le problème continue quelqu'un serait-il où exactement ce problème de coupe (quelle partie faut-il interroger?)? La Rega doit bien connaître le problème, compte tenu du nombre de personnes atteintes de ce problème.
Merci d'avance pour votre aide.
Hello
It is impossible for me to reach the importer in France and the problem continues would anyone be where exactly this cutting problem (which part should be questioned?)? Rega must be aware of the problem, given the number of people with this problem.
Thank you in advance for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom