1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rega Ear or Creek OBH21

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by OneDesi, Jul 3, 2005.

1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi

I've just bought some Grado SR80's and soem guys on another forum have really helped me out in choosing an amp.

Can anyone comment on the above 2 or the Musical Fidleity Xcan V2 or V3.

I'm looking for final opinions before I buy!

Thanks in advance.

2. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I’ve had the Grado SR80s with the Creek OBH-21 for about a year and have been very happy with the sound. ( Grado’s were uncomfortable after about ½ hour use until I was brave and bent the surround, now much better).

The sound from the Creek gives significantly more detail than from the headphone socket on my CD player.

The amp had two headphone sockets and there is a definite different sound from each socket. Down to personal choice which is better I guess.

It is capable of volumes beyond painful and normally run at about 1/3 volume which is way loud enough. I have found that the real difference in sound quality is less obvious at low levels and much more noticeable at higher levels.

I haven’t heard the sound from other amps so can’t comment

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The MF X-Cans in both incarnations are decent quality headphone amps,and the Mk2 can be significantly upgraded in terms of tubes etc.
    Both have what you might describe as the MF house sound....detailed,lively and perhaps a bit bright at times,but not unduly so.

If you can find a friendly dealer,you may well be able to try before buying,which may help you a great deal in being able to get the sound balance right....try as many as you have the patience for,and ability to find!....it is worthwhile.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    My father has the Rega and likes it. Good value. X-Cans V2 isn't very good value for money, IMO - at the very least you need to open it up, throw away the valves, and replace them with some decent ones that you've acquired separately. Then it's okay.

I think there is quite a significant gap in quality between things like the X-Cans and the next level up, which includes lovely lovely things like the Graham Slee Projects "Solo", the Earmax and Earmax Pro, and the Sugden Headmaster.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd have to agree....the MF's I answered about as I've heard them,but in comparison to more expensive offerings like the Slee(which I havent got but know you and others recommend highly)and the Earmax,which I've had for some yrs now,there really isn't any comparison...but then the cost is considerably higher.

6. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Thanks guys - I think I am going to buy the Xcan V3 as I can get a one one for £190 and it will match my other gear.

From what I am reading it sounds like I wont be disappointed with the Xcans but the Rega may sound better but not look as good!

I didn't want to spend too much just in case I don't use it enough but at least with the Xcans I should be able to get most of my money back if I sell it in a year or so!

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think that it's true that your return on the MF should you upgrade or sell,will be fairly good.
    At the price,it represents pretty decent value for money,and avoids any of the need for DIY options,although on that score,there are some excellent lits available if you are good with a soldering iron!

8. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Could you point me in the direction of some kits for later reference please?

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
  10. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Thanks!

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Just a quick note to say tried the XcansV3 and it sounds just beautiful!

I think this could be a case of you don't miss what you never had - thanks for all the advice all!