Rega Brio3 vs Brio io

ChrisGH

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have the possibility of a good 2010 Brio3 or should I push the boat out and get the new Brio io. I want a vinyl only system and will be getting the Rega Planar 1. Current speakers are Q Acoustic 3010 but prepared to upgrade those in a few months.
Basically will the quality of a 10 year old 49W Brio outshine a brand new 30W Rega??

I’ve never heard the 2010 Brio but have compared the Io to the new Brio. The 2017 Brio is better than the Io but the Io is a cracking little amp for the money, and with a footprint no bigger than a piece of A4 paper. Reliability and provenance play their part with used kit, compared to the peace of mind of brand new. Price may play a part, too. The Brio 3 can be found for roughly £200, half the price of an Io.

Welcome to the Forum.

There is no such amp as a Brio io. They are two totally different amps. The io is the smallest of the Rega speakers and is capable to 30 watts into 8 ohms. The Brio is the next model up in the range and has 50 watts into 8 ohms. They are based on the same trickle down technology that comes via the Elicit-R and the Elex-R.

The io should have no trouble in driving the 6 ohm QAs. The only thing you will have to look into in any potential speaker upgrade would be the new speakers ohm loading and sensitivity. You'll also have to factor in the size of your room as well to see if the io is indeed enough to fill it without complications.

As far as the new Brio is concerned then there is no doubt that it is a step up from the previous model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom