Rega Brio vs Rega IO: sound differences?

pilgrim99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Thinking of putting together a nice sounding setup in my small bedroom (4 x 3 meters). I haven't settled on any particular speaker yet but when it comes to amps, I feel like I'm leaning more toward Rega - just not sure which one to get, the Brio or the IO? Should I go with the bigger brother just to be on the safe side in terms of power reserves, or it won't make much of a difference in such a small room?

Has anyone done any direct comparisons between the Brio and IO? Any clear winner here? How would you describe the sound signature differences?
Some say Rega amps are on the bright side, some say they're on the warm(-ish) side - so I'm a bit confused. I need something that's not harsh or fatiguing in the upper region.
Also which speakers (aside from the budget B&W's everybody seems to be recommending) have you found to sing particularly well with these amps?

How about Rega's own speakers - they are good and will be matched to their own amps

At the Bristol HiFi show in the 'before-times" I heard the Rega System One (still not sure it's been fully launched yet), that had the IO and Kate speakers (in the case of the System One, coupled to a RP1+ turntable).

The sound was really good - and for an all-in price of a whisker under £1000, terrific value for money. The was in a Marriot hotel room, so comparable size to the OP.

Never heard the Brio, so can't comment on the comparison, but the IO/Kyte combination was mightily impressive.

Unless you need digital features, you can’t go wrong with Rega amps. The Io and Brio are both terrific little amps. The Io is as simple as they come but sounds bigger and better than its 30W suggests. Very natural and, above all, so darn musical. Rhythm and detail are first class and it’s a very analogue sound, and that’s a good thing.
The Brio - to my ears - is better, but there’s not much in it. It’s a slightly more muscular sound with a tighter bass. A lot will come down to budget, but either will be a cracking choice.

Hi everyone!

Thinking of putting together a nice sounding setup in my small bedroom (4 x 3 meters). I haven't settled on any particular speaker yet but when it comes to amps, I feel like I'm leaning more toward Rega - just not sure which one to get, the Brio or the IO? Should I go with the bigger brother just to be on the safe side in terms of power reserves, or it won't make much of a difference in such a small room?

Has anyone done any direct comparisons between the Brio and IO? Any clear winner here? How would you describe the sound signature differences?
Some say Rega amps are on the bright side, some say they're on the warm(-ish) side - so I'm a bit confused. I need something that's not harsh or fatiguing in the upper region.
Also which speakers (aside from the budget B&W's everybody seems to be recommending) have you found to sing particularly well with these amps?
I recently heard both, and for the money io is great. The brio sounded a touch more open, so iam leaning for io, as I am in similar position as you wanting a small system for a study. What speakers are you going for? Have you had a chance to listen to the new rega kytes?

Did you find the IO lacking bass out of the box? Some folks have complained about that.
Nope they sound great to me (and the bass is very well controlled). My “room” is a shed 25m2 and I have a Sony AV amp for movies and the Rega for music.. The Rega is street’s ahead with 2 channel and plenty loud wnough

Attachments

• 39FA343B-E33F-4A5D-8526-09469A39A58D.jpeg
    39FA343B-E33F-4A5D-8526-09469A39A58D.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 185

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom