Rega Brio vs Bluesound Powernode

pauber

Standard Member
What do people think?

I know the Powernode has a lot of streaming options which would be good but not essential - for me at least - and the Brio does not.

I have Dynaudio Emit M10s and need a better amp to drive them. I am mainly concerned about the best sound quality over all else.

I guess my main question is which of these 2 amps would drive them best and which sounds the best.

I’d also be keen to get the amp that would allow for an eventual upgrade to speakers that require even more power if necessary.

Would be grateful to hear of anyone’s experiences.

Thank you!

alien lanes

Standard Member
Hi there

Given your brief criteria I would go for the Brio- I've had a Rega Mira in the past and it was a great amp with no frills and the focus all on the sound quality. Toe tappingly good :)

All I would say is that if upgrades are already on your mind you may find value in the second hand marker getting something with a bit more oomph. Not that their is anything wrong with the brio- its tried and trusted and a great amp but if mindset is already on improving speakers something with more power that can drive any speaker could be a good bet. Yamaha are, in my experience, the best bet in this kind of budget. Anything from AS501/701/801 should likely do the job for a long time. I have a 701 and get the upgrade itch but find it difficult to justify given its build quality, sound and versatility. Decent DAC, phono stage and lots of inputs to go at.

I can't vouch for the powernode but my 'gut' would be this is more of a compromise of sound design due to its emphasis on streaming. Other could help more on that.

Happy hunting!

gibbsy

The Brio has one job to do unlike the Power Node and amplification is where that money is spent. I am a Rega fan having owned the Elicit-R. Get a good amp and you can always change other bits of kit around it. My other worry is that with multi purpose units if one part fails they are dead in the water, at least with separates you can work around that issue if you also have a CDP as well.

pauber

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, I was leaning towards the Brio imagining it s probably best purely from a sound standpoint but wondered if people had been blown away by the Powernode… maybe not though

Haven’t really listened to Yamaha amps - do they have a characteristic sound signature generally or does it vary with the range?

[email protected]

I don’t know that the Powernode is a compromise. Bluesound is a sister company to NAD. It uses the same Hypex amps that the NAD D series uses. I have no complaints about my Powernode 2i.

The Stereophile review of the Brio shows THD plus noise around %.02. The current Powernode claims %.008.

Last edited:

Helix Hifi

The speakers have sensitivity at 85 dB, quite low. They need power amplifier, very powerful.

Rotel RA14MK2, Rega Elex R, NAD C388.

Helix Hifi

Powernode we’ll probably work just fine, because of Class D topology. Though I’d go over 100 watts.

But not all watts are the same, so I suggest audition as many amplifiers as you can.

Once you find an amplifier which suits you, then it’s okey. Don’t listen to us, we can’t decide for you.

muljao

What do people think?

I know the Powernode has a lot of streaming options which would be good but not essential - for me at least - and the Brio does not.

I have Dynaudio Emit M10s and need a better amp to drive them. I am mainly concerned about the best sound quality over all else.

I guess my main question is which of these 2 amps would drive them best and which sounds the best.

I’d also be keen to get the amp that would allow for an eventual upgrade to speakers that require even more power if necessary.

Would be grateful to hear of anyone’s experiences.

Thank you!
Would a node do (not a powernode) and a behringer A800 power amp, dame functionality but more power

Jazzabana

Yamaha a-s 801 dac is sublime and phono is sh*t. Go for it. Yamaha 801 and 1100 are totally different tier of amps soundwise and probably pricewise. I found brio all over the place when I demoed with my dali rubicon 2s. Yamaha 801 with its dac is a great place to start. And get Qobuz subscription. And u r set.

Sleuth

Yamaha a-s 801 dac is sublime and phono is sh*t. Go for it. Yamaha 801 and 1100 are totally different tier of amps soundwise and probably pricewise. I found brio all over the place when I demoed with my dali rubicon 2s. Yamaha 801 with its dac is a great place to start. And get Qobuz subscription. And u r set.
I have a set of 4 Ohm Dynaudio (Audience 52) speakers and I have a Rega Brio which is "all over the place" when attempting to drive the Dynaudios. It just doesn't have enough power to get hold of the speakers and it's not a good listening experience.

With some 6 Ohm Dali Spektor 2's that I also have, the Brio is much better, the Spektors are much easier to drive and the Brio does a good job with them. I just tried some Oberon 3's (also 6 Ohm) with the Brio today and they were pretty good too. The Emit M10's are 6 Ohm and will probably be ok with the Brio. Audio T recommend the combination here Our New Dynaudio's Emit A Lovely Sound, The New Emit 10's That Is! — Audio T

I'd still recommend auditioning the Brio in person with your speakers as I find the Rega sound a bit "thin" and lacking punch/drive although tonally very nice. Great sound is such a personal thing

andycc72

The Brio has one job to do unlike the Power Node and amplification is where that money is spent. I am a Rega fan having owned the Elicit-R. Get a good amp and you can always change other bits of kit around it. My other worry is that with multi purpose units if one part fails they are dead in the water, at least with separates you can work around that issue if you also have a CDP as well.
‘Owned’ as in past tense? What did you replace it with?

gibbsy

‘Owned’ as in past tense? What did you replace it with?
Nothing yet. All of my serious listening is now with my Lehmann Linear headphone amp and either Oppo PM1 open back planars or closed back Shure 1540s. Any multi channel music goes through the Denon X6500.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom