Rega Brio R with Kliptsch RP-150m upgrade to KEF LS-50s Meta

MasonSafari

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
at the moment I have Rega Brio R with Kliptsch RP-150m...these are actually on my working desk beside my monitor...I have more serious headphones /DAC but now I am thinking I might upgrade my RP-150M to LS-50s Meta...I am listening only at low to mid volume and really happy with the current RP-150M with Brio but I am tempting to try RP-150m... the source will be Astell&Kern sp2000 + Chord Dave... what do you think, will I gain anything with this upgrade ?

If you look at kef review on this site they reckon the kef/rega combo doesn't work well. Just one opinion

If you look at kef review on this site they reckon the kef/rega combo doesn't work well. Just one opinion
Thanks Muljao...But also I read positive about Rega + LS-50S... I like the sound characteristic of Rega Brio but I am open to any other suggestion, what do you think might be a better amp ? obviously I dont want to pay for any DAC as I have the Chord Dave...and I just listen to high res files and sometimes Tidal...

KEF do sit well with Rega amps. I'm running such a combination. I would not recommend Naim with KEFs after auditioning against the Rega.

KEF do sit well with Rega amps. I'm running such a combination. I would not recommend Naim with KEFs after auditioning against the Rega.
I don't agree or disagree, I don't have those, I was merely stating on the review of the kefs here reviewer stated he maintained it wasn't a good match. I was just making OP aware it had been mentioned

I don't agree or disagree, I don't have those, I was merely stating on the review of the kefs here reviewer stated he maintained it wasn't a good match. I was just making OP aware it had been mentioned
It's all personal really. I sometimes think I'll look for something different, Dynaudio Special 40s, then I listen to the KEFs for a few hours and ask myself why. Nearly fell off the upgradiatus wagon just before Christmas.

It's all personal really. I sometimes think I'll look for something different, Dynaudio Special 40s, then I listen to the KEFs for a few hours and ask myself why. Nearly fell off the upgradiatus wagon just before Christmas.
It's easy to be wowed by newer/different gear. I'm always looking at stuff, my only upside is I have a lot of stuff but most of it was got secondhand/open box/ relatively inexpensive. I'm thinking of adding a set of 8 inch studio monitors to my kitchen setup, but really I don't need to 🤫🤫🤫

Thanks
Which Rega you have? I'm tempting to upgrade from Brio as well but I really likes how lively Brio is

Thanks
Which Rega you have? I'm tempting to upgrade from Brio as well but I really likes how lively Brio is
I've had the Elicit-R for about three years, brilliant amp.

No. I've only listened to the Elex-R after I had bought the Elicit when I went to audition a headphone amp. The Brio and the Elex were not on my audition list because I needed HT by-pass. Quiet a few Brio owners on the Forum.

No. I've only listened to the Elex-R after I had bought the Elicit when I went to audition a headphone amp. The Brio and the Elex were not on my audition list because I needed HT by-pass. Quiet a few Brio owners on the Forum.
Thanks gibbsy
I have hear the Elex-R is more like Brio , so what did you think between Elicit and Elex... also do you have LS50?

To get back to the OP's speaker question.

Be sure to try and have a listen before you swap your speakers, Klipsch speakers (by report as I've not heard them) supposedly have a fun, lively presentation. This differs from the typical Kef sound which is a little more 'grown up'. The LS50s may be better in many ways such as detail and accuracy but this may not be a sound profile you actually enjoy as much.

Thanks gibbsy
I have hear the Elex-R is more like Brio , so what did you think between Elicit and Elex... also do you have LS50?
The Elicit is more detailed to my ears has a better mid and high response, not a lot in it. Had the Elex offered HT by-pass then that would have made the decision harder. I preferred R300s to LS50s in audition. LS50s were too forward for my taste and R300s presented a better option for mixing film and music.

The Elicit is more detailed to my ears has a better mid and high response, not a lot in it. Had the Elex offered HT by-pass then that would have made the decision harder. I preferred R300s to LS50s in audition. LS50s were too forward for my taste and R300s presented a better option for mixing film and music.
Thanks, I have been more in using headphones/ IEM... so my experiences with speakers is very limited...at the moment only possibility of using speakers is in my 16 sqm home office room...what do you think of RP 150M? do you think it is more close to LS50s or R300S or none of them? issue we have here is whatever you buy and you will own it with no possibility of return/exchange.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom