Rega Brio R vs NAD D7050

EddieGee

Standard Member
Had some further demo's today, namely Marantz PM6005, Rega Brio R and Arcam FMJ A19.

The Rega Brio R to my ears came out top. A musical, engaging, warm sound with no fatigue. The Arcam was a close second but was a bit clinical for my liking.

My favourite speaker with the Rega was the Kef Q500 floorstander. Anyone else heard this combo? I also tried the Rega RS3 but although it had more soundstage, it seemed slightly false and the bass was a tad boomy.

I am pretty set on the Rega/Kef, but I have a dilemma. How does the Rega compare to the NAD D 7050?

Budget is an issue and would mean me waiting to save up funds to later purchase an external DAC.

I intend to hook up to bluray & Sky box initially, then digital audio via NAS and spotify (with potential to maybe get Rega Apollo R CDP if I went down Rega-route).

I guess what I am asking, is, is it worth the more expensive outlay of Rega+DAC (when I won't be using the excellent phono stage of the Brio amp) vs the built in capabilities of the NAD D7050, also being cheaper.

I don't want to sacrifice audio quality though. I am also not able to easily demo the NAD due to no dealer near me.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom