Rega Brio or Elex-r for Oberon 5?

Rees

Standard Member
Hi all, my current set up is a Planar 2, rega fono mini, an old Yamaha AV running into Dali Oberon 5s. I'm looking to invest in a new amp, and it seems like the Rega Brio or Elex-R would suit my needs well. I'd like to ask if anyone has experienced these amps with the Oberon 5s, and if so was there a big difference between them? Or would I need better speakers to really appreciate the difference between these amps?

I'm hoping to audition them both of course, but not sure when this will be possible given covid. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
I would assume the more expensive rega amp would be better, otherwise people would buy the cheaper rega amp if they sound the same or very similar. The question should be whether the oberons are good enough to benefit from a better amp.

Upvote 0

Rees

Standard Member
I would assume the more expensive rega amp would be better, otherwise people would buy the cheaper rega amp if they sound the same or very similar. The question should be whether the oberons are good enough to benefit from a better amp.
You're absolutely right, I'm relatively new to hifi so excuse the way I've put the question. Will edit it if possible. Cheers.

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Rega amps get better as you climb the tier of amps. The Elex will perform better than the Brio even though they share many of the same components it's the power supply and better separation of the components that all go towards a better performance. One thing the Elex lacks over the Brio is a headphone circuit if that is important to you.

Just like the Elex is an upgrade over the Brio so the Elicit-R will be a step up from the Elex. That's not to say that the Brio is poor in comparison, far from it. You should certainly try and audition. Contact AudioT as they do offer home demonstrations as I think it will a while before the dealers are able to open again. The guys in the Swansea shop and very helpful.

FWIW I have an Elicit-R and it puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

Upvote 0

Rees

Standard Member
Welcome to the Forum.

Rega amps get better as you climb the tier of amps. The Elex will perform better than the Brio even though they share many of the same components it's the power supply and better separation of the components that all go towards a better performance. One thing the Elex lacks over the Brio is a headphone circuit if that is important to you.

Just like the Elex is an upgrade over the Brio so the Elicit-R will be a step up from the Elex. That's not to say that the Brio is poor in comparison, far from it. You should certainly try and audition. Contact AudioT as they do offer home demonstrations as I think it will a while before the dealers are able to open again. The guys in the Swansea shop and very helpful.

FWIW I have an Elicit-R and it puts a smile on my face every time I u

Welcome to the Forum.

FWIW I have an Elicit-R and it puts a smile on my face every time I use it.
Many thanks, appreciate your thoughts. Very tempted to just pull the trigger on the Elex-r, but as you say would be naive not to try for a home audition first. I've been reading a lot on here about how much sound quality can improve when switching from a av multi channel amp to a two channel amp. I mainly listen to vinyl with the odd bit of streaming, so really excited to hear the difference an analogue only amp will make to my set up (the streamer has a dac).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gibbsy

I don't use my Denon AV amp for stereo music, it's very poor even though it is high end. Trouble is I've not the room for a separate space for home cinema and music so I have to use the same front speakers for both. To accommodate this there are two options the first, likely the most expensive, is to have a stereo amp with HT by-pass, such as my Elicit-R. The AV amp also has to have at least front left and right pre-outs.

A stereo amp will easily outperform an AV amp with stereo music.

Upvote 0

Apollo83

Hi Rees,

I don't know the Oberon 5's but note the following headline specs:
Sensitivity (db/w/m) 88
Impedance 6ohms
Max power handling 150W

I auditioned the Brio and Elex alongside each other on a range of bookshelf speakers at what I would consider to be normal listening volume (acoustic guitar sounds same volume as if it were in the room with you)
I struggled to tell them apart...
With a few floorstand speakers I thought the Elex controlled the bass a little better? But that could have been my own bias...
The speaker changes were much more noticeable than the amp.
In the end I went with the Brio and put the difference towards a speaker upgrade :)

I'm thinking your speakers with their 4 bass cones to drive should benefit from the Elex, but the Brio often surprises...
The key is auditioning and if you can get home auditioning like gibbsy says then even better!

Pob lwc!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

acgingersnaps

Hi Rees,

I don't know the Oberon 5's but note the following headline specs:
Sensitivity (db/w/m) 88
Impedance 6ohms
Max power handling 150W

I auditioned the Brio and Elex alongside each other on a range of bookshelf speakers at what I would consider to be normal listening volume (acoustic guitar sames sound volume as if it were in the room with you)
I struggled to tell them apart...
With a few standmount speakers I thought the Elex controlled the bass a little better? But that could have been my own bias...
The speaker changes were much more noticeable than the amp.
In the end I went with the Brio and put the difference towards a speaker upgrade :)

I'm thinking your speakers with their 4 bass cones to drive should benefit from the Elex, but the Brio often surprises...
The key is auditioning and if you can get home auditioning like gibbsy says then even better!

Pob lwc!
Not surprised by this. As long as an amp is sufficiently powerful for the speakers it's powering and is well designed/put together, there shouldn't be a huge difference between it and any other sufficiently powered, competently built amp.
I say that as a very happy Rega Elex R owner!

Upvote 0

Gforceuk

Standard Member
Hi all, my current set up is a Planar 2, rega fono mini, an old Yamaha AV running into Dali Oberon 5s. I'm looking to invest in a new amp, and it seems like the Rega Brio or Elex-R would suit my needs well. I'd like to ask if anyone has experienced these amps with the Oberon 5s, and if so was there a big difference between them? Or would I need better speakers to really appreciate the difference between these amps?

I'm hoping to audition them both of course, but not sure when this will be possible given covid. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks
Did you go for the elex-r ? I’m considering it for my Oberon 5’s

Upvote 0

Rees

Standard Member
Did you go for the elex-r ? I’m considering it for my Oberon 5’s
I auditioned both the brio and elex-r at home. Both amps were a big improvement over my Yamaha multichannel amp. Compared with the brio, the bass on the Elex-r had more presence and was tighter, and there was better separation between instruments.

I've decided I'll be going with the Elex-r. My question now is whether to buy new or used, as I was offered the one I demonstrated for a discounted price, but it is 7 years old, but I don't have any idea how much amps degrade over time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Cheers.

Upvote 0

Oasticles

@Apollo83 - hoping you might be able to help. I recently purchased a Brio amp and Apollo CDP. The Brio has a buzz most audible from the L channel that doesn’t change with volume on all but the phono input (where it gets louder as the vol is increased). Absolutely silent on the headphone circuit. I can shift the noise to the other speaker by switching the cables so I don’t think it’s the speaker.

I’ve tried different power blocks, sockets, grounding wires, removing all the inputs etc but the buzz persists. Noted that it’s only audible a from a foot or so away from the speaker.

Is yours completely quiet?

Upvote 0

acgingersnaps

I auditioned both the brio and elex-r at home. Both amps were a big improvement over my Yamaha multichannel amp. Compared with the brio, the bass on the Elex-r had more presence and was tighter, and there was better separation between instruments.

I've decided I'll be going with the Elex-r. My question now is whether to buy new or used, as I was offered the one I demonstrated for a discounted price, but it is 7 years old, but I don't have any idea how much amps degrade over time.

It's built like a tank and should last years. I suppose it depends what deal they offered?

Upvote 0

acgingersnaps

@Apollo83 - hoping you might be able to help. I recently purchased a Brio amp and Apollo CDP. The Brio has a buzz most audible from the L channel that doesn’t change with volume on all but the phono input (where it gets louder as the vol is increased). Absolutely silent on the headphone circuit. I can shift the noise to the other speaker by switching the cables so I don’t think it’s the speaker.

I’ve tried different power blocks, sockets, grounding wires, removing all the inputs etc but the buzz persists. Noted that it’s only audible a from a foot or so away from the speaker.

My Elex R is silent. That definitely sounds like a fault.

Upvote 0

Rees

Standard Member
It's built like a tank and should last years. I suppose it depends what deal they offered?

Managed to get it as a shop clearance item for £500 with full warranty. Pretty chuffed; question now is should I spend the £450 I saved upgrading something else in my system... hello rabbit hole my old friend :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apollo83

I'm sorry to say @Oasticles that mine is silent.

It sounds like you've tried all inputs e.g. switch the Apollo to input 3 or 4 and you can replicate?
And you describe switching speakers which eliminates them...

If so then it sounds like a fault in the amplification stage...
I would be straight back to seller for some support.

Best of luck getting it resolved.

Upvote 0

Oasticles

I'm sorry to say @Oasticles that mine is silent.

It sounds like you've tried all inputs e.g. switch the Apollo to input 3 or 4 and you can replicate?
And you describe switching speakers which eliminates them...

If so then it sounds like a fault in the amplification stage...
I would be straight back to seller for some support.

Best of luck getting it resolved.
Thank you for confirming.

I’m speaking to the retailer today. They have been excellent so far so fingers crossed we can get it resolved.

Upvote 0

gibbsy

Hope you get it sorted. FWIW my Elicit-R is perfectly silent.

Upvote 0

Oasticles

Thanks - the retailer has arranged for it to be picked up tomorrow. They’ll test it in their environment and see if there’s an issue with the amp or if it’s at my end. Hopefully they can just switch it for a new one. The alternative is that we try a different make - Rotel A12 or Cyrus One I believe.

Upvote 0

Gforceuk

Standard Member

I got my elex-r today and couldn’t be happier , suits the Dali Oberon 5’s so much better than the onkyo did

Upvote 0

Rees

Standard Member
I got my elex-r today and couldn’t be happier , suits the Dali Oberon 5’s so much better than the onkyo
So good isn't it. Had to adjust my speaker placement as it was initially a bit boomy but once that was sorted the sound was great.

Upvote 0

Oasticles

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on potential causes for the buzzing noise issue I was having with a Brio amp. Thought I would close out the story.

The dealer couldn’t replicate the problem and after much discussion there was a suggestion it could be due to interference from Sky Q multiroom.

I now have a Music Fidelity M2Si and glad to report that it is completely silent.

Upvote 0

mykeldg

Standard Member
I got my elex-r today and couldn’t be happier , suits the Dali Oberon 5’s so much better than the onkyo did
Hi, may i ask what onkyo you previously had?

Looking into rega amps. I also have an onkyo (A-9150) and Dali Rubicon 2s. Thanks!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts