Rega Brio IO to replace Audiolab 8000A

gavinbullstag

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

In my home office I am using an Audiolab 8000A with Dali Zensor 1s at the moment, fed via a Dragonfly Black. I use it purely for Spotify and work calls.

My office space is very small and the Audiolab takes up too much room so I'm considering getting a Rega Brio IO. The question is, will I feel shortchanged?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nope. The Io is a cracking little amplifier with a footprint no bigger than a piece of A4 paper.

As an update I bit the bullet and got an IO.

It's been interesting as my initial thoughts were that there is no issue around power at all. Very punchy and detailed.

I also felt it had a tonal balance I wasn't too keen on. Almost harsh/abrasive. Perhaps this is a symptom of using Spotify albeit premium and through a dragonfly black. Maybe this amp shows up my little Zensor 1s.

After a lot more listening its grown on me a lot. I think on reflection the Audiolab is just a smoother amp and I am over the moon with the Rega. Plus size wise it's far more convenient!

At some point I'll try it with my castle Severn IIs - looking forward to that. May even treat myself to a CD Player. May even sell the AL now.

@gavinbullstag As a fellow Rega Amp owner you won’t be disappointed.

Shameless plug here, if you’re after a decent CD Player at a low price..

@gavinbullstag As a fellow Rega Amp owner you won’t be disappointed.

Shameless plug here, if you’re after a decent CD Player at a low price..

Thanks mate. I'll have a ponder but I'll probably not be getting anything new this side of Christmas sadly

Good luck with the sale

I had the IO when it first came out. I sold it on as it was not my cup of tea soundwise. I found it very thick sounding and far to in your face for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom