Rega Brio for PMC Db1i?

PC522

Standard Member
Hi All, first time to post here.

I am working on my home office stereo system. It consists of the following right now:

• Dali Opticon 1 on Isoacoustics stands
  • Rega Brio
  • Meridian Director DAC connected to my laptop
  • BK XLS200

My room is small (3m x 3m), and speakers are placed on my office desk (120cm wide), listening position is sort of forming an equilateral triangle. Unfortunately speakers are very close to the back walls (less than 10cm). I know it's not ideal but can't do much about it.

The Dali is not quite my taste after trying them for a couple of weeks, too hot on the highs. I am getting a pair of PMC DB1i soon. I used a pair of PMC AB2 before and I really enjoy the PMC house sound so I'm looking forward to them.

Now my questions:

1). I suspect the Rega Brio may not be up for the job to drive the DB1i. But at the same time I will not listen to them at a high volume at all, especially in such a small room listening to them nearfield. Do you think the Brio might actually be OK for the job?

2). If the Brio won't do the job properly, any suggestion for an integrated amp with a small footprint, ideally under £1k second hand?

3). I could potentially get a Quad Artera Solus to replace the Brio and Meridian Director. Any view on this?

Many thanks.

gibbsy

The Brio will have no trouble driving the Dalis with a 4 ohm loading. You could even consider the new io which has had some very good reviews. This thread may interest you.

PC522

Standard Member
The Brio will have no trouble driving the Dalis with a 4 ohm loading. You could even consider the new io which has had some very good reviews. This thread may interest you.

Thank you! This is very helpful. What do you think about the Brio driving the PMC Db1i though? This will be my set up in the near future.

gibbsy

Thank you! This is very helpful. What do you think about the Brio driving the PMC Db1i though? This will be my set up in the near future.
Tough customers for the Brio with 87dB sensitivity and 8 ohms. Don't know how low they dip but PMCs have always responded to good reserves of power. The Brio will drive them but not really push them. I'd be looking to mate them with the Elex-R. Nice speakers as are all PMCs in fairness.

PC522

Standard Member
Tough customers for the Brio with 87dB sensitivity and 8 ohms. Don't know how low they dip but PMCs have always responded to good reserves of power. The Brio will drive them but not really push them. I'd be looking to mate them with the Elex-R. Nice speakers as are all PMCs in fairness.
Understood, that's what I thought which might be the case.

What about the Quad Artera Solus?

gibbsy

I've never listened to Quads so can't comment. Good amps though with great power delivery and reserves.

Costello

Brio owner here so a little biased but I see no reason why the Brio wouldn’t be up to the job. The PMCs seem no more difficult to drive than most speakers and, as you say, it’s a small-ish room and you won’t be listening loud. The Brio’s power supply is first rate and is far more capable than its 50W suggests. You could swap to a more powerful amp but you’d struggle to match the Brio’s sound quality. All subjective, though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom