Rega Brio and seperates vs Marantz PM7000N

benfs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am fairly new to the scene and looking to purchase my first "serious" system, have 2 setups that I am considering, but I am finding it hard to make a decision between them, and would really appreciate some input!
At the moment I mostly listen to streamed music (Spotify, Quboz), or FLAC files on my computer (which is making them available over the network using Plex, so they are playable by uPNP), but am starting to build up a vinyl collection, so would also like to be able to use a turntable. Being able to play the TV through the amplifier would also be a good bonus.

(I already have speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, but i would look to upgrade these to something like the B&W 606S2 down the road)

1. Marantz PM7000N + Rega Planar 2 turntable

2. Rega Brio Amplifier + Topping E30 DAC + Raspberry Pi with Moode + Rega Planar 2 turntable

They are both roughly the same price, and I think would provide me with a similar level of features in terms of inputs and streaming options and gapless playback (this is one reason why i discounted the Audiolab A6000 play). I know the second option would allow for upgrades at a later date, for example adding the HiFiberry Digi 2 for digital output from the Pi, and the Pi is likely more future proof, in terms of streaming services and codecs. On the other hand the PM7000N is more wife friendly in terms of ease of use, i expect.

Thank you,
Ben

Hello,

I am fairly new to the scene and looking to purchase my first "serious" system, have 2 setups that I am considering, but I am finding it hard to make a decision between them, and would really appreciate some input!
At the moment I mostly listen to streamed music (Spotify, Quboz), or FLAC files on my computer (which is making them available over the network using Plex, so they are playable by uPNP), but am starting to build up a vinyl collection, so would also like to be able to use a turntable. Being able to play the TV through the amplifier would also be a good bonus.

(I already have speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, but i would look to upgrade these to something like the B&W 606S2 down the road)

1. Marantz PM7000N + Rega Planar 2 turntable

2. Rega Brio Amplifier + Topping E30 DAC + Raspberry Pi with Moode + Rega Planar 2 turntable

They are both roughly the same price, and I think would provide me with a similar level of features in terms of inputs and streaming options and gapless playback (this is one reason why i discounted the Audiolab A6000 play). I know the second option would allow for upgrades at a later date, for example adding the HiFiberry Digi 2 for digital output from the Pi, and the Pi is likely more future proof, in terms of streaming services and codecs. On the other hand the PM7000N is more wife friendly in terms of ease of use, i expect.

Thank you,
Ben
I am not sure if both these amplifiers cost the same? I guess you mean combined with the TT, DAC.

If not the Marantz cost twice as much as the Rega.

If you like it to be simple go for the Marantz.

If you like to add an external DAC like the Topping go for the Rega.

I don’t think you well hear any differences between the Topping DAC, and the build in DAC in the Marantz amplifier.

The good news is that both these amplifiers can drive many speakers, like the speakers you are mentioning.

I’d go for the Marantz if you want the most musical sound.

If you want a more punchy sound go for the Rega.

Ps, I expect you mean the Rega Brio R?

Speaking of TT ( vinyl playback) it is not my expertise, since vinyl is not for me, at least right now.

The HIFI purists on here will probably say your number 2 option , but it won’t stop with the hardware there will be options for speaker cable and other high quality cables, I have the Marantz with a modestly priced some would say cheap TEAC turn table+ Marantz CD player also Amazon HD music and I must say for my budget I’m been blown away by the sound. Coming from a full blown 7.1 system with all the cables that go with that this system suits my needs, what ever one your wife decides on I’m sure you will enjoy 😄

Ah I should probably mention that I am in the UK! The Rega Brio is £600 and the Marantz is currently £880. The Topping E30 is about £130.

I always prefer the separate option. If anything goes wrong then there is only the one piece that needs replacing not the whole thing. As far as the Brio goes it is a very good amp, very musical with good bass control. I'm a big fan of Rega owning an Elicit-R and Brio punches well above it weight.

Ps, I expect you mean the Rega Brio R?
Helix, Rega has dropped the R prefix from the Brio. The old version was the Brio-R (2011-2017), the new Brio is simply Brio (2017-).

Thanks for the input! I think the answer is no, but would the Brio or E30 DAC be able to switch on automatically when they started recieving a signal? I can;t see an input for a control signal on the Brio, so I am not sure I can make it switch on with the DAC. This would just be to make it more user friendly.

Regas are as basic as they come. No stand-by option and no start up on receiving a signal. I use mine in conjunction with a Denon AV amp for HT by-pass (not available on the Brio) or just connected to my SACD player. The Rega has to be manually turned on by either the mains supply or a front fascia button.

Worth the effort believe me.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I have purchased a Rega Brio and Planar 3 TT this afternoon, collecting them on Monday! Very excited to try them out at home.

Nice 👍. Hopefully it we’ll sound very good.

Option 2, more flexibility with upgrading and the ability to only replace any future faulty item.

Plus, more fun in selecting your own separates.

Hey! How are you getting on with your system? I bought the PM7000n without a demo because of the lockdown situation in 2020. I should have waited but my existing amp was really playing up. Bought it purely on reviews. Now that it has settled, it sounds good but man did I regret not going down the separates route. Wife friendly? Like they give a sh!t.
Also the Google connection isn’t great, you can literally just put the volume up and down, and do next track. Now I’m thinking of ditching the lot for a Rega Elex-R.

Hi. A bit prosaic, but for the money, I think the Denon DRA800H is hard to beat. Regulary for sale at £500. All the streaming and connectivity you could ever need and 100 wpc of class A/B amplification.
As I've mentioned in other threads, my mate runs supposedly hard to drive (and some would say out of the Denon's league) ATC SCM11's off one with no bother and they sing.

Hey! How are you getting on with your system? I bought the PM7000n without a demo because of the lockdown situation in 2020. I should have waited but my existing amp was really playing up. Bought it purely on reviews. Now that it has settled, it sounds good but man did I regret not going down the separates route. Wife friendly? Like they give a sh!t.
Also the Google connection isn’t great, you can literally just put the volume up and down, and do next track. Now I’m thinking of ditching the lot for a Rega Elex-R.
Rega Elex R is typically Rega, and I don’t mean that in bad way.

Rega midrange; if you like more mid bass punch then Rega is great choice. The midrange is not too forward not too laid back but more fun then Marantz. Bass is more upfront, dynamic sounding. Treble is not harsh either.

Still Marantz in my ears sounds more correct, at least in my view. Softer yes, but more musical. Violins sound like they float between the speakers. More air so to speak. It’s not sound for everyone.

If you like the Marantz sound then I recommend the PM8006.

As much as I like Marantz, I still like amplifiers with no DAC etc.

It’s better to buy classic analog amplifier then add streamer from Yamaha as example.

The firmware is yet unstable even with Marantz.

Which speakers do you use?

Hi. I have a pair of LS50s (they are a year old, purchased just before KEF announced the Meta).

Hi. I have a pair of LS50s (they are a year old, purchased just before KEF announced the Meta).
KEF and Rega are very popular. Still I can’t see any problems if you switch over to the PM8006. Since you own the PM700N now.

Still I’d advice you to listen to both Rega, Marantz. Then decide.

Tricky one this. I am very fond of the Marantz sound and enjoy its warmth. I think I'm not so fond of the Rega sound, well not if the Elex mk4 is typical of that sound, but maybe that's just me. Looks like the Marantz is good value even if you use an external DAC. One further point: I tried a Topping D50s DAC, which is higher up in the range than the one you're considering, and I thought it sounded too lively in the higher frequencies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom