1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reg 1 player & DVD code enhancement

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by julesHem, Dec 10, 2001.

1. julesHem

julesHem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a Region 2 Tosh 3109 player which I am delighted with. Because I should like the option of buying DVDs from abroad, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap and cheerful Region 1 player which I could use alongside the Toshiba. I understand that chipping costs about £50 and reckon that I would rather buy a second cheap machine. Also, does anyone know if this machine would cope with enhanced coding which I read is going to be introduced on some disks?
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to buy a 'cheerful and cheerful' DVD player (minimum 99 quid), when you could get far better quality by having your Toshiba chipped for half the price? :confused:

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    To be as near 100% sure of playing R1 discs as you can be, you might consider importing a "real" R1 player from the US.

But, be aware that such players will most likely only output a true NTSC picture, so your TV has to be NTSC compatible. Also, you will need a mains voltage transformer as the US mains are 110v compared to our 230v.

In reality, the £50 or-so chipping undertaken by people like techtronics is effective at making your R2 player multiregion. This is probably the cheapest, and most convenient option.

4. julesHem

julesHem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose I am suspicious that chipping may spoil the perfection of the Tosh which I have had since they came out and because the Cyberhome 528 is only £100 I thought it to be a good investment. What I would like REALLY to know is should I buy a cheap US DVD player so that CE on SOME disks from the US could be overcome.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I wouldn't be too worried about spoiling anything, usually a codefree mod does not do any harm to the player or it's performance. As well most new mods are RCE friendly ....

So if you ask me get your player modified, cheaper and less stuff on the rack.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because a player is NOT region 1 it does not mean that it cannot play R1 RCE disks

Case in point

Last Monday I recived "a Knights Tale" R1 RCE from www.play247.com (great Film) went to spin it, on my (modded) Sony 850d and Nothing exept a mesage saying that it would not play because bla bla bla .....

Ho well ..... So I dug out the Tectronics manual which told be to swich the player to STANDBY press SHUFFLE followed By 1 then press play.

3 minutes later after a couple of false starts Im watching the film.

Only a minor annoyance but I thought at least I can play it. Unlike my mate John who as a Unchipped multy Region Samsung 907, Or his step son Dan who owns a HIMAGE 2290 (which you can get for £80).

WRONG The disk spins fine on their machines without any buttons needing to be pressed.

So Buy a disk that you Know is RCE and give it a spin any problems and ether buy a cheap UK multy Region player (Dont Get an American DVD to expensive and dangerous ) or My advice get that toshiba Hacked by Techtronics.

If you really want a new player why not upgrade the tosh to a better machine(UK) but make sure that it will spin RCE.

Dont worry about the tosh not being as good after modding it will be Better.

You say you got the tosh so you could get Region 1? Is it therefore multy-Region (But not Hardware Hacked) if so read and thy this. http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-rce-regional-coding-enhancement.html#preliminary-check