1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refusing to pay Customs fee on DVDsoon product??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by southpaw, Feb 19, 2005.

1. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

It hasn't happened yet but if I was to be hit with customs fee on a DVDsoon product over the £18 value and I refused to pay their fees.

Would DVDsoon refund me on its return to them??
    And would this involve a cost to me to send it back??

2. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The biggest joke though is the fee the post office also ask for for taking my money for the customs!!

3. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The item wouldn't be returned to Soon. If you don't pay the charge, the item will be destroyed by the Royal Mail. As such, the only thing you'd get out of Soon is a replacement if you lied and said it never arrived, and you'd have to wait for 45 working days before you could even request this (not to mention the weeks it'll take them to sort it out).

In other words, if you're not willing to pay the fee, don't order things over £18.

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Why is it a joke?

If they didn't process it for you, you would have to go to the port of entry and complete all the import documentation and duty/VAT payment yourself. Depending on where you live, this could be a darn site more expensive than what the PO charge.

5. Chrisw2k

Chrisw2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Customs also keep a record of the packages that they destroy and according the the T&C of dvd soons replacement process they do sometimes check with customs to see if they processed the package.

6. dvdbunny

dvdbunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They won't refund it since you are responsible for customs charges. If the value is more than £18 you should calculate for customs and see if it's still viable to order it.

7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I made the mistake of refusing to pay customs charges a couple of years back.
    Play247 never received the package back and I never got a refund.
    An expensive way to cut your nose off to spite your face!

8. sdss

sdss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loz: "Why is it a joke?"

There is no denying that Royal Mail's charge is a joke! The price for what they do is ridiculous. In most cases all they do is put on that sticker and nothing else. And yet they add on their little tax. The sooner they are forced to actually compete and provide an efficient service the better.

But back to the topic...

do people actually know for a fact that the packages are destroyed. Because i thought they were returned to the sender (just as if the receipient was unknown).

9. Ady Dvd

Ady Dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Importing Dvds from US/Canada is a risk.

I have ordered an identical item from Amazon.com on 5 occasions.

On 3 occasions I had not charges to pay but on 1 i had to pay the PO £9 but when Parcelforce tried to deliver there was a £19 charge.

I am fully aware that sometimes they will get stopped and charged so the way I look at it is that sometimes you win sometimes you lose and there is no point moaning about it when we know the rules beforehand.

If you don't agree with the charges (nonsense or not) then the only answer is to not order.

10. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    I was debating whether to do the same with my last package but choose not to. On the leaflet they post through the door it said you have seven days (think it was 7) to pick up your parcel, if you do not collect it the item will be returned to sender. So they are supposed to but I didn't trust them to do so.

What really gets me is that when there is a handling charge they just stuff that customs thing through the door and expect you to go all the way to the sorting office to collect your stuff!, if they can deliver the slip they why the hell can't they deliver the packages?, i've already paid for delivery to my house not to the damn sorting office.

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,348
    Moving to DVD Talk.

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It's so that a)they can get the money from you and b)so that the postman isn't put at risk by someone threatning to "punch his lights out" if he doesn't hand over the package. This is exactly what happens as I've asked my postman the last time - and he told me he's actually been threatened himself.

Can't blame them for minimising the risk of harm to their employees can you? Not suggesting anyone here WOULD do it, but then it's the minority that spoils life for the rest of us.