Refurbished infocus projectors

corrado kid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My first post here, and slowly trying to get my head round the ins and outs of moving to a projector. I was pretty much decided on a IN76 having had a demo and liking what I saw ( moving from a sagem hd50 g4 only due to total failure :( ) picture wise, I set about working out a good deal. This afternoon I noticed That you can buy refurbished units from ebay and in this instance I can get a IN78 for less than a brand new IN76 !!

This is a two part question really so:

1) Has anybody had experience of buying these refurbished, good or bad? Only down sides seem to be potential transport costs if it goes wrong within the warranty period and shorter bulb warranty ( do these fail often rather than just getting old type failures ? ) But a new bulb is around £150 so not that much all things cosidered.

2) is it a worthwhile upgrade from IN76 to IN78? I really liked the 76 but I have read a few favourable reviews between the two and it appears to be a good step up. To be honest Im pretty much set to get the IN78 but im more unsure about the first problem really.

Help me spend my money people :smashin:

Hi.

Where do you intend to buy the projector from?
I bought a refurbished PJ directly from Infocus in the Netherlands off ebay.
It has been back twice (it came with a 12 month warranty) to correct a fault but both times they paid for the postage.
Mine was a SP7210 and I paid £650 for it, that's for a projector that was selling for £3.5K a year ago. It had 0 lamp hours and was basically new - not bad really!!

Blimey, That was a good price for an excellent machine :eek::eek:

Hi.

Where do you intend to buy the projector from?
I bought a refurbished PJ directly from Infocus in the Netherlands off ebay.
It has been back twice (it came with a 12 month warranty) to correct a fault but both times they paid for the postage.
Mine was a SP7210 and I paid £650 for it, that's for a projector that was selling for £3.5K a year ago. It had 0 lamp hours and was basically new - not bad really!!

That was where I was looking to buy from. So they cover the postage if it needs to be returned then :clap: Sounds like the only difference is less warranty on the bulb which is no biggie. Was it in good cosmetic condition mate?

Yup, it was as new when delivered apart from no handbook, but you can download them from their website.
You are right about the bulb warranty, but I think they only give 90 days even on new projectors.
I would definately go for one, had a play this evening and brought my Sky HD box in from the lounge and watched some BBC HD progs for the first time through the pj and was absolutely gobsmacked at the clarity compared to SD dvd!!

Going back to your original post Corrado, you seem undecided between an IN76 and 78. The 76 has the Darchip2 and the 78 the Darckchip3. The DC3 is rated as having far more of a contrast range. As an example my brother has the sp7205 which uses the DC2 compared to my sp7210 which has the DC3 and my pictures have definitely better blacks with much more detail in them. I think that my pics are also brighter. Not quite a like for like comparison between the 76 and 78, but might give you a little flavour!

Not really undicided between the in76 or in78 mate, more as to wether the drawbacks of buying refurbished would outweigh the model upgrade potential! Its not important now as after your last post I double checked and the standard bulb warranty is only 6 months ( i for some reason had in my head that it would be 1 year ) so I took the plunge and should have a IN78 winging my way very soon :clap:

Now its on to the hard part of creating a suitable enviroment for it!!

Cheers, Dan

i just got an in76 from infocus ebay for 999 euros worked out at £680 and its perfect and no inport tax as its sent from inside the eu

i upgraded from an in72 and the diffrence is amazing with sky hd and blu ray

thing is your buying from infocus direct so what have you got to lose thats the only reason i spent so much on ebay

oh and it only took 5 days to get to me

I've been looking into this seller as well and so far he's had nothing but great feedback.

Slightly off topic but I have a quick question for some of you who already have this projector:

Can it accept a high def 1080p/24 signal from the PS3 (blu-ray) and display it properly without judder i.e. the picture should be smooth like at the cinema?

Does it have to be ceiling mounted if coffee table is not an option? What I'm saying really is at a distance of 4 meters from screen, can it be placed on a shelf somewhere on the centre of the rear wall to project onto a 106" screen?

As you might have guessed, I'm quite new to the world of projectors so apologies if there's something I've overlooked but I recall reading somewhere that LCDs are better for placement flexibility

I've been looking into this seller as well and so far he's had nothing but great feedback.

Slightly off topic but I have a quick question for some of you who already have this projector:

Can it accept a high def 1080p/24 signal from the PS3 (blu-ray) and display it properly without judder i.e. the picture should be smooth like at the cinema?

Does it have to be ceiling mounted if coffee table is not an option? What I'm saying really is at a distance of 4 meters from screen, can it be placed on a shelf somewhere on the centre of the rear wall to project onto a 106" screen?

As you might have guessed, I'm quite new to the world of projectors so apologies if there's something I've overlooked but I recall reading somewhere that LCDs are better for placement flexibility

i have got my in76 above my sofa on a black 14"tv stand and it looks gr8 but you have to adjust the keystone but it does not seem to affect the picture quality as for the 1080p/24 it does accpect it and should play back at 24fps but it doesent it rips and judders there is a thred on this if you do a search

Yup, it was as new when delivered apart from no handbook, but you can download them from their website.
You are right about the bulb warranty, but I think they only give 90 days even on new projectors.
I would definately go for one, had a play this evening and brought my Sky HD box in from the lounge and watched some BBC HD progs for the first time through the pj and was absolutely gobsmacked at the clarity compared to SD dvd!!

Hi mate. Did the IN78 come with a new bulb?
The only thing it seems to say on the ebay page is that it comes with a 90 day warranty.
And, how much was the delivery?

think it is here

The IN78 has been removed from that store, but i still have it for sale in My eBay saved items. The problem is that it looks like they wont ship it to the UK, but if you look on their Dutch site, there are atleast 3 IN78's for sale.

The IN78 has been removed from that store, but i still have it for sale in My eBay saved items. The problem is that it looks like they wont ship it to the UK, but if you look on their Dutch site, there are atleast 3 IN78's for sale.

thats just an error on there ebay listing they will ship to the uk my in76 didnt have postage to the uk as an option a quick email later and they changed it

i just got an in76 from infocus ebay for 999 euros worked out at £680 and its perfect and no inport tax as its sent from inside the eu

i upgraded from an in72 and the diffrence is amazing with sky hd and blu ray

thing is your buying from infocus direct so what have you got to lose thats the only reason i spent so much on ebay

oh and it only took 5 days to get to me

How did you manage to get it so cheap?
All the in76's on their store seem to be around £800 at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/InFocus-PlayB...53272593QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3320QQcmdZViewItem

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The seem to change the prices depending on whats for sale. There was a N76 for €999 a few days ago but i missed out on it..

They've a N74 for €899... If they put more n76's up for €999 the n74 wont sell.... Im just hoping they flog the n74 n stick up some n76's for €999 again.

Id be sick if i paid €1199 n find one a few days ltr selling for €200 less...

I was speaking to CSE( distribution for them in the UK) today about a mounting bracket for my old 5700 and the chap there told me that as of today the new price on the IN76 and IN78 had come down.:D
The IN76 is now £999 and the IN78 is £1500 , this is with the full Uk warantee . I recon this is down to the up coming 1080 machines due very soon( o she's going to kill me if she finds out i've even looked) at £2500.

How did you manage to get it so cheap?
All the in76's on their store seem to be around £800 at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/InFocus-PlayB...53272593QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3320QQcmdZViewItem

it was just by luck it was on buy it now for 999 euros so i had to buy it at that price i was happy with my in72 but there is no going back once you get hd (and the other half doesn't no i got a new one as it looks the same) she can never tell the diffrence with any of my new toys:)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi mate. Did the IN78 come with a new bulb?
The only thing it seems to say on the ebay page is that it comes with a 90 day warranty.
And, how much was the delivery?

I bought an SP 7210 not an IN78, but the bulb meter was at 0 when delivered. Can't say it was a new bulb, they could have just re-set the meter!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom