Refurbished HD5's - Any good?

T

tera_logik

Hi,

I was thinking about buying a Sony NW-HD5, despite the fact that the new models are out...

I was browsing through sony style and found this:

http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/So...WHD5HS.EU8.A&languageId=en&s=external&ss=show

Sony Style Special Edition 30GB HDD for 269€ (REFURBISHED PRODUCT WITH FULL WARRANTY)

They are also still selling Sony Style Special Edition 30GB HDD NEW for 330€

What i would like to know is what that "REFURBISHED" means...
I googled it and found that it can be a variety of things, since returned defective products that have been revised and fixed, to simply overstock products...

I was wondering if anyone has put the question to Sony and knows more accurately what this means...

I don't know if i should take the chance...

Also, a bit offtopic, but has anyone got a pair of AKG Acoustics K14p headphones? Are these any good?

Youll get a full warranty and a 60 euro discount for what ? Maybe a scratch or two ?
Who knows but it sounds like a no loose deal to me but hey thats me !!

Just got mine today. Looks brand new to me, no marks scratches or anything, and with a years warranty, where can you go wrong?

I also bought a refurbished Sony MD player a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong!

Nigel.

kevH said:
Youll get a full warranty and a 60 euro discount for what ? Maybe a scratch or two ?
Who knows but it sounds like a no loose deal to me but hey thats me !!

No, you will find NO SCRATCHES on a refurbished product. Part of refurbishing a product means putting it in a brand new spanking case. You will have the luxury of peeling the plastic film off the screen and taking it out of a crisp, brand new box.

By refurbished they mean the majority of the components inside have been in another machine - they might have changed the circuit board, the hard drive or both - perhaps nothing was changed, except that it was fitted into a new shell - either way, unless you were told and you read on the box under the barcode that you have purchased a refurbished product, you would never have known!!!

Hey sprinter,

Please let me know if everything is alright with it, after you've tested it out...
One year warranty? Shouldn't it be 2 years? I believe that there is some kind of law in Europe that every electronic device must have 2 years warranty...

Yeah it might be a 2 year warranty, it's whatever Sony normally give.

There's no indication on the box or any of the packaging that the unit has neen refurbished - maybe they sent me a new one by mistake :rolleyes:

tera_logik said:
Hi,

I was thinking about buying a Sony NW-HD5, despite the fact that the new models are out...

I was browsing through sony style and found this:

http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/So...WHD5HS.EU8.A&languageId=en&s=external&ss=show

Sony Style Special Edition 30GB HDD for 269€ (REFURBISHED PRODUCT WITH FULL WARRANTY)

They are also still selling Sony Style Special Edition 30GB HDD NEW for 330€

What i would like to know is what that "REFURBISHED" means...
I googled it and found that it can be a variety of things, since returned defective products that have been revised and fixed, to simply overstock products...

I was wondering if anyone has put the question to Sony and knows more accurately what this means...

I don't know if i should take the chance...

Also, a bit offtopic, but has anyone got a pair of AKG Acoustics K14p headphones? Are these any good?

:thumbsup: Most cases, a refurbished item mean its the guinipig that failed to work and it is repaired and sold again. In simple words..the defected ones that are fixed.. :eek:

Just one more question, if it by any chance malfunctions or is delivered still defective, where can i claim the warranty? Will i be able to do it in Portugal, talking to the major representative of Sony in the country, or will it have to be sent to some place in Europe, to wherever sony style HQ is?

JWALKR said:
:thumbsup: Most cases, a refurbished item mean its the guinipig that failed to work and it is repaired and sold again. In simple words..the defected ones that are fixed.. :eek:

Possibly - but it is also all the players that were taken back by people as faulty and then fixed (and put in a new case...) :thumbsup:

tera_logik said:
I believe that there is some kind of law in Europe that every electronic device must have 2 years warranty...

Such legislation is being discussed, but it's not law as yet.

All products should have a lifetime warranty. That way they are more willing to do a better job of making it.

Sasso said:
All products should have a lifetime warranty. That way they are more willing to do a better job of making it.

What's a liftime?

Impossible. You can have the most careful and experienced manufacturers of electronics in the whole world brought together, and they would not be able to produce a product that will not fail at some point. It's just physics. Electronic components will always have a % fail rate.

mrtbag said:
What's a liftime?

Impossible. You can have the most careful and experienced manufacturers of electronics in the whole world brought together, and they would not be able to produce a product that will not fail at some point. It's just physics. Electronic components will always have a % fail rate.

Isn't that only true when they have moving parts? I mean - if looked after correctly, shouldn't a flash player last (theorectically) at least as long as a human being (therefor a lifetime)? I don't know at all - this is just my guess...

Or will the electric charge inside corrode/erode the circuits after time? No idea - taking a guess here (and not a very educated one at that...)

In short, johann, absolutely NOTHING in our physically manifest universe can last indefinitely. But that's perhaps a bit too metaphysical for here!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom