Refurbished 5Ds - what's the problem ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ray, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've been looking around for a good deal on a EOS 5D and have noticed that the Canon outlet on eBay are always flogging off refurbished 5Ds. They normally go for around £1500-£1800 which isn't that competative anymore (£1579 new with cashback) but I was wondering if this steady flow of refurbs indicated some problem with this model ? I haven't been able to turn up anything on the internet other than some suspected 'banding' problems when first launched. Seems strange that the Canon outlet seem to have so many 5Ds with only the occasional 30D coming through. Any one heard of any problems with this model - or has anyone here had one and sent it back ?

Cheers

Ray

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    I am not sure how "offical" the canon outlet is - if you trace them back they are a totally seperate company to Canon. I did email Canon to see if they were an offical "supplier" but Canon simply said they couldnt comment.

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    A couple of 5d bodies (refurbs) have recently gone for £2500 ! What's going on ? Why are people paying well over the odds - are they used to smuggle drugs or something ?

Ray

4. Chunder

Chunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I bought a refurb from the same Canon Outlet that you refer to, typically enough, not long before the rebates became available (notwithstanding the fact that the local shops still had the price up at 2.5k!)

I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever - mecahnically sound, unmarked (albeit grubby externally - which I was rather surprised about); pretty much perfect to my untutored eye. Comes with the normal warranty, too.

I figured that these were probably shop-demo models - in which case they've never been exposed to harsh conditions or adverse environments. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with the 5D (refurb or otherwise) so I can't imagine that they are fixed up returns.

The 5D was such a massive leap in performance, capability and quality compared to my old D30 that I was gobsmacked... well worth it if you have the money available, but whether you'd rather a purely brand new one for that little bit extra...?

5. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks. I've seen a couple of neg feedbacks on their site due to grubby condition of lenses etc - but they do take stuff back. I was wondering why there was this constant supply of 5Ds for refurb. Perhaps as you say they are ex demo models - surprised the shops don't just sell them themselves. Think I'll wait for any Canon announcements on new models in the next week or so before making a decision.

Ray