1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refurbed ScreenPlay 5700 for £1,500, good deal?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bugblatter, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

I went into my local Sevenoaks to see if they had a Sony HS50 I could check out. They don't stock it, but the guy offered me a refurbed ScreenPlay 5700 for £1,500, with warranty (I don't know how long for though).

Looking at what's been written about it on this forum it seems that it may be better than the HS50, any feedback on that would be appreciated.

A few things concern me about this though:

1) If it's refurbed then the bulb's used, and so will have a shorter life. I don't know how old the unit is.

2) I gather that it's a bit noisy, whereas the HS50 is almost silent from what I've read.

3) It's a DLP and I don't know if I'd get the rainbow effect. How can I best test this?

4) It's not HD, and I'm planning to plug my PC into it (DVI connection).

A lot of the time I'll be watching the screen in a room that isn't darkened. It won't have full-on lights, but certainly a couple of lamps. Would the 5700 or the HS50 be better?

Any info you guys can give me would be great, I've never had a projector and have only recently started looking into this stuff.

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It's a good PJ I believe but take your time and don't dive in for the first thing a particular retailer is trying to shift. And if you want HiDef, and the 5700 isn't, then there's your answer.

Your comments about the room not being darkened may be a worry for the HS50, it's not the brightest PJ by all accounts.

At the moment the Sanyo Z3 seems the best deal for a HiDef capable PJ, £850 plus an extra bulb voucher...PJ :)

3. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You can get a brand new HD capable (720 x 1280 native) Benq PE7700 for £1446 here:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/benq-pe7700.htm

It's a far more recent product than the 5700, it has a higher resolution DLP chip, and has been very well reviewed. I personally wouldn't touch that 5700, especially at that price.

4. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Haggle with them , as the price of the 4805 has just been reduced to 799 , so it sounds as if the 5700 is about to be reduced or upgraded IMHO.

can for the kill offer 1249.99

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Infocus sell refurbished models with a new bulb, so you should be okay there,
    double check & ask them.

Additionally, some of sevenoaks deals come with an extended warranty chucked in, so check it out.

6. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Infocus have just announced price rductions across the board. The new prices are on the Home Cinema Choice news page but the only PJ they don't mention is the 5700. I wonder if it's going to be discontinued?
    I'd be very cautious at that price, you can get a HD compatible Benq (the PE7700) new for less than £1500. I've seen a 5700 and no doubt it's a terrific machine but things have moved on apace since it came out.

7. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Benq 7700 hands down for less money and much newer technology, 5700 is a good machine but not worth the money today.

8. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the great response guys. The Benq PE7700 looks great, the only qualms I have are to do with the fan noise and potential rainbow effect.

I don't know much about the rainbow efect, I've just caught bits and pieces. If it's something that's generally only visible during the credits then I'm not bothered, if it's more prevalent then it could be an issue.

My eyes are very sensitive to flickering (e.g. a 50Hz scan rate on a WS CRT looks bloody awful to me). Maybe that's because my eyes have lower-than-usual permanence, and that may mean I'm more susceptible to the rainbow effect. Or I could be talking complete rubbish. Anyone know if there's a correlation between the two problems?

Perhaps I should go back to Sevenoaks and have a proper demo of a DLP to see if I see rainbows, even though I won't be buying from them (unless they can get the projector I want in at a reasonable price).

Should the 7700 be better than the HS50 in an undarkened room? I'm looking at this to be a TV-replacement, and I don't want to live in darkness unless I'm watching a movie.

The Z3 looks good too, but I was only considering the HS50 because it apparently gets around the lack-of-contrast issues that LCD PJs generally have. If I can get a good DLP for the same money, with the same functionality, then that sounds good to me (if the rainbow effect isn't a problem).

Thanks again guys :)

9. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You'll only know if the RBE is a problem by having a long look at a DLP. Even if it isn't a problem at first you can get a DLP home and a few movies down the line start to experience problems with the RBE. One guy here recently bought an Optoma H78 having demoed it to check for RBE problems. He seemed to have none but after a short time at home he had to sell it (at quite a loss). It's a personal thing really, but the upside is that IMHO the picture from a DLP is much more film-like than that from an LCD. So if you are not RBE prone then I'd definitely go DLP.

The HS50 has great reviews, but its one weakness is that it is quite a dim projector and cannot handle too much ambient light in the room.

10. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I don't know if anyone knows precisely why some see the rainbow effect and others don't. I've come across three theories, one is that it is caused by a strobe effect of some sort within the structure of the eye. (You can replicate this by waving your fingers fast in front of your eyes) Another that there is a prism effect that splits the light into it's constituent colours - again from something within the eye itself, the third is that it is related to the way that the visual centre in the brain itself interprets the information it receives.

My own DLP is quite old and it only has a 2x colour wheel which is by far the most likely to cause the effect. I have to say that I only see rainbows very rarely and I have never had anyone visiting who viewed my projector to mention rainbows spontaneously. Quite often I have prompted visitors and described the effect. Only a minority see rainbows and I've yet to have someone really upset by them. That said there can be no doubt that for some they make DLP quite unwatcheable.

You'll be unlucky if you are badly affected particularly since modern faster colour wheels have radically reduced the numbers who are. But there's only one way to find out for sure and that is the advice you'll see everywhere here and that's to audition, audition, audition.

Bit difficult with the BenQ PE7700 though. I'm very tempted by this but I'm dammed if I can find anywhere that's got one on demonstration. I've even e mailed BenQ to ask them but if anyone knows please post it.

11. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have heard/read somewhere that the extent to which one is affected by RBE is related to the eyesight condition called "Astigmatism". There are varying degrees of the condition in a lot of people. I could not get a clear answer though on whether it is directly or inversely related. ie one who has no astigmatism does not see RBE at all or if one who has a bad case of astigmatism does not see it.

I asked my optometrist and his response was: "RBE What?"

12. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I auditioned a cheaper DLP projector today to check for RBE, it was a ScreenPlay 4805.

It was a dark scene in Men in Black II, so we had dark suits against white shirts. The rainbow effect was certainly noticeable when I moved my eyes around rapidly.

The 4805 has a 4x 6-segment colour wheel, whereas the Benq 7700 has a 5x 6-segment colour wheel, so the Benq should show a little less rainbow but probably not by much.

Having said that I don't think the problem was noticeable enough to annoy me, so I'll probably go with the Benq. I've asked Sevenoaks to see if they can get one for me.

They said they've never sold a Benq projector, at least at that branch. They phoned Benq to see if they had an account with them, Benq told them they wouldn't be able to supply them directly and gave them the name of a supplier. They called the supplier and were told that they only keep one model in stock, and not the one I want. For other models the minimum order is 20 units.

The guy's going to e-mail round to their other branches to see if any of them have sold any Benqs before, and to find out where they got them from.

I went to another place that does projectors afterwards and they'd never sold Benq projectors either, although he's going to look into it too.

So hopefully I'll be able to get the projector from a shop, I may even get to audition it. If not then I'll have to get one online instead.

13. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For info Bugblatter, one of the reasons why the Benq's are so cheap is because their dealers tend to deal with PC products via the internet where the margins are much lower than audio-visual, shop-based retailers. Thus, their mark-up may only be 5%, whereas audio visual shops will be much higher. You may find that Sevenoaks want to charge you considerably more than the c.£1400 you can get it for on the net (after all they have expensive shops to run), but you never know!

Having said that, I think NexNix sell them (www.nexnix.co.uk) and I think they have demo facilities, though you'd have to check with them and travel there. Try also Ivojo (www.ivojo.co.uk) who advertise here. Both seem entirely reputable from comments I've read, though I've never bought from them.

If I get the PE7700, I'm expecting to buy it blind based on reading loads of comments and seeing similar machines, I'm afraid, cos it does seem impossible to demo.

Squibbly

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    The 4805 was the first DLP projector that i did not see rainbows with, but as stated above the Benq does have a faster colour wheel so should help. Also as stated above either Ivojo or Nexnix supply the Benq, i have used both suppliers who are both excellent imo, i got my Z2 for Ivojo.

If you have a look round there are some pretty good reviews on the Benq and it is excellent that you can get a 720X1280 dlp for under £1,500. I was nearly sold on one myself buy i think i am going to go with the H78, if i can get a reasonable deal.

15. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave nexnix a call to see if I could audition the 7700. Unfortunately they don't carry a stock of them, they order them on demand, and their showroom's already full anyway.

Oh well, guess I'll be buying it blind then.

Edit: Just spoke to the guy at ivojo. Got to give him credit, he wasn't just trying to make the sale. He asked if I'd auditioned a DLP, I said I had and had seen some RBE. He said I should audition a DLP for at least half an hour to see what effect the RBE would have on me, e.g. headache and nausea. It sounded like good advice, so I guess it's back to Sevenoaks again tomorrow.

He wasn't a fan of the HS50, he says it uses trickery to get the claimed contrast ratio, which is pretty much what I'd surmised myself. If it's not all that bright then it won't be much good for me.

So I could be stuck between LCD projectors that aren't bright enough and lack contrast, or DLP's that have the rainbow effect. I may end up with a plasma! :rolleyes:

16. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If you have a look round there are some pretty good reviews on the Benq and it is excellent that you can get a 720X1280 dlp for under £1,500. I was nearly sold on one myself buy i think i am going to go with the H78, if i can get a reasonable deal.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly where I've got to. Any idea what sort of deals you can get on a H78? It would be my first choice but not at twice the price of the BenQ

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    No i havent really looked yet but you could try the forum sponsers, Audiovision sell Optoma (they have a good website), i think Joe Fernand also has some dealings with Optoma and he knows his stuff, i am sure there is also another forum sponser that deals with Optoma but the name escapes me, these will be the people i will try.

I know the dilema you are going through as i am going through the same, i have the funds for the H78 but i also want some new B&W speakers from the new 800 series and i could get those and the Benq or just get a H78.

All other things being equal i would go the H78 route and i dont mind paying a premium for the H78 but not twice as much, i am also starting a masters qualification in September so i dont know how much use i would get out of the pj in the coming twelve months or so.

The depreciation on a pj at the moment is enourmous where as speakers are a more mature product and therefore will not get hit with as much if i decide to upgrade in the future, so do i get the Benq to just tied me over for the next twelve months, especially with the exciting developments on the three chip front or do i get the Optoma decisions, decisions :)

Its a real shame you cannot demo the Benq anywhere as that would then help to answer my questions.

18. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned another DLP today, the Optoma H50 (it's what Sevenoaks happened to have set up). Watching Return of the King I saw no RBE at all, even in some fairly high-contrast fast-moving scenes (e.g. when the orcs cross the river into Osgiliath and start fighting the men).

So hopefully it was just the extreme contrast in MIB II that caused me to see the RBE before.

Oddly enough the H50 only has a three-segment colour wheel, and yet I still saw no RBE.

Anyway Sevenoaks quoted me £1,900 for the 7700. I told him about the price at ivojo, around £1,440, and he said that when you add in VAT that's pretty much the trade price he'd been given. That fits with what Squibbly mentioned earlier about the margins.

So I've placed my order with ivojo, should have the 7700 tomorrow. I'm not getting a screen yet, need to see how the pj performs before I decide on the size. I'll probably get the screen from Sevenoaks, so they won't lose out entirely. Gotta support these shops when I can, because it's damned useful having them around...but not to the tune of £460!

19. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Glad you got a demo Bugblatter. I think it could be very dodgy buying DLP's
    without one.

Originally I was going to get something like a 4805, then i thought I would go
    for a 5700, which I demoed in two different places. Good picture, but both demoes I saw rainbows & got very bad eye strain, which would have lead to a headache. Then tried a Sharp Z200, no rainbows or eye strain, but suffered from noise on picture. Tried Panasonic AE700 LCD, but not filmic & pretty cold, digital picture.

Ended up going with a 7205 :eek: (lot more expensive) which had no rainbows or eye strain. It was funny from demoing the 5700 & going to the 7205 the eye strain went immediately, must be the extra segment thingy.