Refurb Mac question

Three6ty

Hi,
After much deliberation I am about to get myself a Mac. Still not sure on a new iMac or a Macbook pro.
Anyhow my question is regarding a couple of refurb mb pro's on the apple store. There are 2 mb pro's on there both at £1199. However one is higher spec than the other ie better gfx card, more ram and larger hdd. Is it likely that the higher specced one could maybe be cosmetically damaged or something. I can't see any other reason why they would be the same price. Has anyone on here been in a similar situation with regards to refurbs? What's the general opinion on here of the refurbs?
All of the above q's may go out of the window if I decide on one of the new iMacs anyway, but any help greatly appreciated. Very much looking forward to a new mac whichever way I go. :thumbsup:
Cheers, Rich

stuart07970

You said you're torn between a MB Pro or an iMac.
So I guess you don't really need a laptop.

For my money I'd save £49 and go for the 24" iMac.

But if you wait for Leopard to come out you've effectively saved £99
or however much it is when it comes out in October.

Why not wait?

Also you could apply for a Virgin Money (MBNA) credit card (free) and go to their Member centre and buy yourself some Comet vouchers for 13% off.

That said you could do that now if you don't want to wait for leopard,
and you'd be getting a new unit rather than a refurb, which means it'll come with all the original packaging rather than the brown-box the refurb's comew in - better re-sale value if you do ever want to sell it

just my 2p
:thumbsup:

Three6ty

You said you're torn between a MB Pro or an iMac.
So I guess you don't really need a laptop.

For my money I'd save £49 and go for the 24" iMac.

But if you wait for Leopard to come out you've effectively saved £99
or however much it is when it comes out in October.

Why not wait?

Also you could apply for a Virgin Money (MBNA) credit card (free) and go to their Member centre and buy yourself some Comet vouchers for 13% off.

That said you could do that now if you don't want to wait for leopard,
and you'd be getting a new unit rather than a refurb, which means it'll come with all the original packaging rather than the brown-box the refurb's comew in - better re-sale value if you do ever want to sell it

just my 2p
:thumbsup:

Hi,
I currently have a laptop and do like to be able to use it anywhere in the house or garden should I wish. But I could happily go back to a desktop solution (iMac) if needed. The reason I looked at the refurb was the price. There is a £500 saving on the mb pro which sounds nice. Also bringing the price down close to a new imac. If it was a choice between a new mb pro and an imac I would probably go for the imac due to price.
Got to be honest I am swaying towards the new iMac. It is excellent value and has all the latest kit inside.
Not to worried about Leopard at the mo. I will wait and see how people get on with it then upgrade. The price is here nor there really at the time for an upgrade.
Don't want to go down the credit card route. They'll get more money out of you in the end :eek:
Also not worried about re-sale value as I'll keep the machine and hand it down probably.
Just like a couple more opinions on the refurb mb pro's before my final decision.
Cheers, Rich

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom