Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Refund on Sony 795 and go for Pioneer/Cambridge OR stick with the Sony

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by martind, Aug 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    After a week of deciding which AV Receiver to opt for, i went for the Sony STRDB795 for £180 as recommended by the sales guy and am due to pick it up this Saturday (13th August).

After reading a large thread today on the Sony795, i have discovered that a fault lies with this model on batches that have serial numbers falling between 5500001 to 5507793 and 660001 to 6602758.

The fault being an annoying buzzing noise that can only be fixed by returning the receiver so that Sony (or an authorised repairer) can replace 7 capacitors.

So i rang the shop i have purchased the Sony from, explained the situation and they have confirmed that my receiver does come between one of these ranges. He is kindly, looking to find if he has another Sony that is outside of this so called 'faulty' batch.

My dilemma now is, do i risk taking a Sony that could potentially have this buzzing noise fault or do i plump for another receiver.

Personally i am edging towards a refund and going for the Pioneer VSX 915, however a number of members have advised on the Cambridge Audio 540r for this type of money (£250). Without sounding like a complete girl, i do prefer the look of the Pioneer over the Cambridge, however i do not know the difference between them in respect of sound quality and functions.

My set up will be 26inch Samsung LCD, Canton CD1 speakers, PS2 and a progressive Scan DVD next month, so it will be for movie use for 95% of the time.

So to sum up (as the title says - Do i get a refund on Sony STRDB795 and go for Pioneer/Cambridge (at an extra £70, which was earmarked for the DVD player!!!) OR do i stick it out with the Sony as the fault may not occur!

Cheers

Martin

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin, The cambridge seems to pretty well respected by many at this point, although I haven't heard one. Just out of interest, if they know this falls into that serial bracket cant the dealer make the change before delivering?

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would try the New Sony unit first to see if you get a decent one and then it that goes badly get a refund and get the Pioneer.

Alternativly theYamaha rxv 650 that can be had for £249.90 + postage. The Cambridge has had some good reviews but really excells at music more than movies and misses out on some of the gadgets :devil: