1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refresh rates for a seleco 400 HT & HTPC advice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi All,
    Begining to get the bits together for my HCPC but before i put it all together can someone tell me what refresh rates i can get from this projector,i understand that the 400 can only accept a 640x480 image anyone help?
    Also before i order my bit's can anyone comment on the following list ta:
    sound blaster live (original)with sp/dif out
    (already got)
    P3 700 (already got)
    Prophet GTS2 mx 32meg or 64meg????
    fujitsu udma 100 HDD v.quiet
    Enlight desktop case
    Fans from quiet pc
    Toshiba 1502 dvd (V.Quiet)
    Having trouble finding a slot 1 mother board may go the Athlon route what do you think??
    Any help advice app'd
    Tim

:p :p :p

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

Trust you are keeping well.

The 400 is limited to 480p/575p @60Hz as it was designed for line doubling only. Although you will see significant improvement over the internal doubler.

Alternatively use the Silicon Image iScan Pro as a significant upgrade for your 400.

Best Regards

Alan
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Don't know off hand whether the DVD ROM drive you have is multi-region, and you didn't mention how much memory you have - which is vital - but provided you have at least 128 meg, you should be ok.
    Irrelevant for DVD playback which of the video card versions you have quoted - as far as I know.
    You should be able to get the motherboard you want from www.scan.co.uk or www.xenex.co.uk. Again, I don't think it really matters whether you go Intel or AMD for your CPU so long as it's powerful enough. 700 should be ok.

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi chaps,
    Thanks for the info i was beginning to think i had a personal hygiene problem (no replies)
    Alan:I'm keeping very well thanks,
    Still can't resist tweaking :D with regards to your earlier answer what is the 570p bit i understand that 640x480 is 480p but i'm stumped with the 570p bit.
    Spectre:I'm going to use 256meg cas2 crucial pc133 memory.My main question was what graphics card to use there seems to be no real consensus on what to use except on higher resolutions you should go for a radeon but i'm stuck at 480p so it comes down to 2 cards the GE force 2 GTS or the GE force MX the MX is half the price of the GTS so which one???????
    Thanks again chaps
    Tim :p

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Tim,

Although 600 x480 is also 480P, the 480P Alan refers to is actually the de-interlaced NTSC standard of 480i-480P. So, the 576P bit is actually the de-interlaced PAL standard of 576i - 576P.

I'll leave the PC bits to those more knowledgeable than me.....

Gordon

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Tim,

The Geforce MX and GTS 2 cards share the same DVD playback support, so if you just need it for DVD playback save your money and go for the MX. The MX however is pityful when it comes to 3D games, so if you are a games player then go for the GTS 2.

Jeff

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Alan,
    could i get a demo of the iscan on my setup? maybe i could borrow one ;) as you know we have a major shortage of seleco dealers where i live :(
    Jeff thanks for the info could i pick your brains when i get this beast up & running ;)
    Gordon: thanks for the info but the explanation went straight over my head not to worry i'll get there one day :D
    Cheers
    Tim :p :p :p

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

Give me a call at the office.

Cheers

Alan

9. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim

Alan is right to recommend the DVDo Iscan pro as an alternative solution. If you are hoping to use other sources for the system (LD, TV, SKY, PS2, N64 etc etc etc) the the Iscan is the way to go. Although HTPC affords better DVD playback than "average" systems, the scaling abilities of the HTPC relie on capture cards that tend to introduce a lot of noise into the equation (for example, using Dtv/Dscaler with a wintv card). The DVDO Iscan is not only wonderfully free of noise, but also offers marvelous stable pulldown on difficult source material.