Refresh Rate, does it really matters??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by fico99, Aug 25, 2006.

1. fico99

fico99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi,

Does anyone ever wondered at what refresh rate his Plasma Display Panel is working? And if it really matters?

I guess most of them are working @ 50Hz progressive, but I am not sure about this?

I know that Pioneer has a setting which is called "Drive Mode" on which you can select the refresh rate of your Plasma. Since our TV Signal is PAL (25fps), they are using the following refresh rates for their panels: 72Hz (for movies = 3 x 24fps) and a selectable refresh rate of 75Hz or 100Hz for TV (3 x 25fps or 4 x 25fps). I do not see these possibilities on any of their competitors, why :confused:

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but if you compare a for example a new Panasonic 42PX60 with an LCD TV for example, the image on the LCD looks much quieter (especially with very bright parts like clear blue sky or white snow in the mountains). You can notice this even better when you look at an object which is just above your TV set.

I know I am maybe a bit too critical about all this, but once you have noticed it, you see it almost all the time with bright pictures. For example, when you display a dark horizontal line on a bright background.

Thanks in advance,
    Fico99

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,472
    Hello Fico99

It matters if the Display your viewing does a poor job of converting the Input Frame Rate to its preferred 'Display rate' - Pioneer were possibly the first to give viewers the option to vary what was going on within the Display.

If your seeing lots of noise on a Panasonic Display (especially in the dark areas of an image) its not been set up correctly - its very simple to do a quick brightness/contrast adjustment to dial out the amplified noise.

Best regards

Joe

3. fico99

fico99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank you for your response Joe ;)

I was not talking about noise actually, but about flickering in the brighter areas of the picture (eg. blue sky & snow on the mountains).

Rgds,
    Fico99

4. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Joe, how do you do this mate?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,472
    Hello all

damo_in_sale - you buy an MXE1 not an XDE :)

Some of the 'Display' models have options to lock 60Hz inputs to a 60Hz refresh rate and 50Hz Inputs to 100Hz!

Fico99 - I'm not sure what technology is employed in the Panasonic model you mention; some Panasonic Displays use what they call Dual Drive technology and produce noticeably less flicker than some of the lower cost models that employ Single Drive technology.

Joe

6. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    I deserved that :)

What do you reckon to the 42MXE10 Joe, do you like it?

7. fico99

fico99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I really would like to buy myself the Panasonic 42PX60 because of it's deep blacks, 2 x HDMI, Component input, PC Input, 3 SCART's, very very nice price and very good picture quality.

However, when I put the Panasonic TH-42PX60 next to a Pioneer PDP-436 RXE, I always notice the following differences between the two:
    - Pioneer's Picture is as still as a LCD (no flickering at all).
    - Pioneer has no false contouring at all (sometimes noticed on the 42PX60)

So, apparently, the big price difference between the Pana and the Pio is not only related to cosmetics???

Now, with the new Pioneer model (the PDP-427XD) coming up in september, all the disadvantages of the PDP-436 RXE are gone, maybe except for the price :thumbsdow

New interesting features of the upcoming PDP-427XD for me would be also:
    - USB connection (compatible with USB memory sticks and USB Card Readers)
    - PC Input
    - 2 x HDMI (direct selectable from the remote and [email protected] compatible)
    - less retention and burn-in than on the 436??? (I hope)

We will see in september :cool:

Cheers,
    Filip