Reformatting hard drive with SATA

LiquidTV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have reformatted my hard drive on my main PC on a number of occasions. However as I have a SATA hard drive, it requires the drivers during the reformatting/installation process for Windows XP. These drivers are on a floppy drive which once loaded are no longer required & the installation process commences once again.

My question is can these drivers be placed on a CD as during the installation when it prompts for the SATA drivers, it only seems to look for them on the "A" floppy drive?

The reason that I ask is that I have bought myself a laptop for Xmas & know for a fact there will be loads of crap pre-loaded which I won't need. Yes I know you can uninstall it but it never truly removes all files & like to have everything tidy & to my exact liking.

Thanks in anticpation.

I've just done some research on the net & appears this problem is indicitive of XP1 & you have no option other than to load them from a floppy disc.

However, the drivers are apparently included in SP2. Has anyone carried out a reformat of the hard drive using Windows XP SP2 & can answer whether or not there was any prompting for SATA drivers to be loaded from a floppy disc?

Thanks.

You can "slipstream" any drivers and service packs you need into a custom XP CD.

I've just done some research on the net & appears this problem is indicitive of XP1 & you have no option other than to load them from a floppy disc.

However, the drivers are apparently included in SP2. Has anyone carried out a reformat of the hard drive using Windows XP SP2 & can answer whether or not there was any prompting for SATA drivers to be loaded from a floppy disc?

Thanks.
Yep, have done it several times - am running SP2 and three SATA drives.

Yep, have done it several times - am running SP2 and three SATA drives.

Steve, sorry do you mean yep that it didn't prompt you for the drivers using XP2?

I have sata hd, i used windows xp with sp2 built in, during format & xp install it did not ask for any additional drivers, or discs.

raja

Just reinstalled windows with an SP2 build and SATA. As suggested most drives should be fine (as mine were) with the built in windows driver, although some may require third party drivers on a floppy.

Wasn't aware of the ability to do as suggested above...

Given that many PC's don't have floppys now I've got a laptop USB floppy I "borrowed" from work in case of emergencies.

Thanks all. You've been a real help...Guess I'll be busy Xmas day reformatting then!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom