Reflux

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by BigStu1972, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    We think (and the GP agrees) that our 6 week old boy has Reflux. He throws up most of his feeds and arches his back and scream in pain a lot. He is also very bloated. Anyway the GP has given us some baby Gaviscon to give him to see if it makes any difference. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experianced something similar and how they coped.

2. missbigbum10

missbigbum10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, my 2nd child had reflux and brought up almost all of her feeds after taking them. GP prescribed Gaviscon too and it really helped. I was told to use twice a day into a feed and it calmed things really quickly. It was awful before she started taking it, would bring milk up every where and anywhere, even in Tesco once! She would cry because she was hungry all the time too. She did grow out of it by around 7 months. Hope it helps your little one.

3. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    I hope he doesnt have until he's 7 months old but nice to hear that Gaviscon helped for you. Lets hope it does the trick for us
    Thanks

4. missbigbum10

missbigbum10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, should have said that it was only diagnosed when she was 5 months!! So two months isn't as bad;)

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,439
    My eldest suffered with it and we gave him Dentanox colic drops in his milk (he was on formula as the weirdo couldn't get on with a pair of boobs). Seemed to do the job and he grew out of it. We were also feeding him too much, volume wise. We cut back on how much and I think that really helped.

6. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,180
    We had it with our youngest, the Gaviscon did the trick straight away... We tried some Infacol, I was quite proud of the fact it worked, briefly, until 15 mins later and she projectile vomited all over me, it was similar to the pie eating scene in the movie Stand By Me...

7. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Have had it with both ours really bad to the point where neither of them would keep anything down, we would hold them up for up to an hour after a feed but the second they went down it was all back up :(

Gaviscon worked for a few days but the reflux usually comes back fairly quickly. If they get it really bad get Losec that is good it doesn't stop the sick but stops the pain which at least makes it half bearable.

Reflux is horrible wouldn't wish it on any parent.

8. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    My daughter had it from birth to 5/6 months. Gaviscon didn't work, and were referred to the hospital where she was given ranitidine and domperdone. Her's was silent reflux though, so no vomitting, but having what is the equivalent of sick burps (where stomach acid burns your throat) all through the day.
    She cried a lot!

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Reflux here as well, turned out he was diary intolerant (we had to figure this out for ourselves) so could be case of mummy (assuming she is breast feeding) cutting out some causes of allergic reactions i.e. dairy etc. Assuming gaviscon doesn't do the trick, lets hope it does!

10. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Your post made me think back to when my boy was that age, exactly the same kind of reflux issue with the arching back and lots of screaming in pain etc, gaviscon etc was prescribed but didn't help, a couple of years later he was diagnosed with menkes disease.

Make sure that his milestones are met otherwise it could be a sign of something more sinister, not trying to worry you btw but always good to know about these things.

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,811
    LOL My eldest had it and gaviscon worked for her. Like Nelios the projectile vomitting was interesting. My daughter also looked like the girl from poltergeist, spinning her head and vomit across the room...

12. debbieB

debbieB
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  13. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Would just echo about thinking about the cause...... We have had 2 that have both had reflux quite bad, not vomit but a lot of pain. We ended (eventually-was a right pain to do) with the first diagnosed as dairy intolerant. Went onto special milks and that. Helped a lot but was still on gaviscon/ domperidone/ ranitidine. Longer term we have been using nalcrom as well.

We pretty much new what to do with second one then so just followed the same path, just earlier which was a big help. Both also have wheat intolerance as well which is another right pain but hopefully are starting to grow out of both now......

14. innersense666

innersense666
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    My boy had it , Gripe water pal worked wonders

15. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    we got all the nonsense from the GP about reflux and prescribing medications etc....then we switched to Aptilmel milk (the yellow one) for colic and constipation....everyone (including my daughter and nephew) and everyone swears by it....its expensive BUT WORKS. An upset stomach is caused by a reaction to the milk...be it formula or breast....needless to say our GP was a bit too prescription happy when we first went....and a simple change of formula was all that was needed. All I would say is stay natural if you can buddy and good luck....Aptimel works !!!

16. BigStu1972

BigStu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,872
    Update:
    The Gaviscon seemed to have worked to a point. He didn't appear to be in so much pain although he was/is still sick a lot. Still he is gaining weight, in fact he is a rather big unit. At 4 months old we have been trying to feed him up when we put him to bed at 7pm so that he sleeps longer as he was waking up at 12 but am trying to get him to 3am before feeding again. Anyway just recently he's been waking almost every hour screaming his head off. Nothing other than being picked up and walked around for an hour will settle him. He hasn't done a poo for a few days so he might be constipated, therefore I might give the Aptilmel yellow milk ago as suggested by Paulmcp2403.
    Hopefully this works as the wife in particular is suffering through severe lack of sleep

17. Eltee

Eltee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Our LO have silent reflux and it was horrible. +1 here for the Ranitadine. Blast that sucker in with a disposable syringe. Also, prop the head end of their crib/cot up slightly so that they are not sleeping entirely flat but not enough to disappear under the covers if you are not using a baby sleeping bag. We also used a thickening milk formula but the name escapes me. Hang in there, it will improve.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  18. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Had exactly the same and it was a diary intolerance, obviously can be any number of things going on but get him to the doc's asap.

19. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    please...the first thing you do before jumping to conclusions is try a different formula...do NOT try propping up the cot at an angle ...I guarantee you that is NOT medical advice.

20. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    Cranial osteopathy may help. It worked for us when ours was about 6 mths old and had bad reflux. After one session there was a difference after 3 sessions he was miles better.
    more info on reflux here

Discussion Forum - LittleRefluxers

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  21. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    I don't know how you guarantee that as that is what we were told by a doctor and a midwife.
    And what is your answer if the baby is breastfed?

22. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    We tried this and it helped but it's really hard to tell how much. We took her at about 8 weeks old.
    Our daughter had grown out of reflux by 6 months.

23. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,294
    Just a little note that you shouldn't "take" the advice of any of us on here without seeking your own professional help. Advice given here should be for "discussion/research purposes only".

24. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I work in that field ... and it is not a recommended approved method of treatment by any profesional ......you may have been told it by someone and it may have worked and Im delighted for you, but simply be honest and say so...don't try and present it as a fact that doctors and mid wives tell you to do this as standard practice...they dont....

ps - Im not looking to fall out with you LOL.....as stated above people can give advice, due medical advice should be sought.

25. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    I'm not trying to say it is a fact, I'm just giving an opposite opinion to yours. You are guaranteeing it isn't advice and that contradicted what I was told. There is no right and wrong when it comes to babies, they are all different so what works for one won't necessarily work for others. I've been through that pain with my daughter.
    Doctors (in my experience) are pretty useless with babies and to an extent it seems like their hands are tied, so my advice is to go and see a paediatrician.

I'm your opinion as you work in that field, what should someone do who is breast feeding when changing formula isn't an option. Genuine question.

I'm also not looking to have an argument with anyone, I just want all sides of the story to be told.

26. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +486
    A work colleague was told to do exactly that by the GP- they put a thick book under one end of the mattress.

27. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I think the danger with this tread is people are assuming the babies have gastro osophaegal reflux disease...GORD when infact it is probably milk /formula intolerance....Suspicion of reflux or intolerance / GORD is best combatted from a non intrusive formulae point...ie* change formulas...its always the first port of call...Aptimel worked best for everyone I know...its also about £2 a tub more expensive OUCH !!! Basically rule out the obvious before assuming the worst LOL

As for breast feeding....much more difficult....but you can try the suggested methods by other sin here if you want to persevere with breast.....however long term if things don't improve for either side, a visit to the GP and ask for a paediatric assessment for GORD...

Here's some info - Gastro-oesophageal reflux - In-Depth Information - Medical Conditions - Great Ormond Street Hospital

Overall it is very distressing watching a we one suffer...I know that from my own experience....but trust me after 2 whole weeks of being fobbed off by GPs and A and E...I finally changed formula and voila - cured !!! LOL

ps - KYLES1 changing formula is always an option....some people who breast feed simply dont want to....and I can understand why...but the baby must come first....trust me we wanted to breast feed but the sickness was horrendous so we had to switch....and it worked. All the best buddy and I hope it works...no offence was meant and I hope none taken.

28. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,233
    Use the other side? :D

We were told to prop up the bed as well by the professionals.

They do though, you can't vouch for everyone in the medical profession

I'm not being funny but you've got no direct experience of the children here, you've no idea how many trips people have made to the doctors and you've no idea what conclusion the doctors have come to, how can you possibly say 'infact it is probably milk/formula intolerance'?

It is a possibility that is is reflux and it is a possibility that there is an issue with milk, no probably about it. In fact, given that a lot of people have had children with reflux and the issue has resolved itself over time whilst no change has been made to formula, what explanation can you give to the 'probable intolerance' that the child has suffered?

29. DKGame

DKGame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Our little monstress had bad reflux pretty much from birth. We tried the anti-colic formula, changing brands, and all the other remedies, and the doctor decided after about 6-8 weeks that little madam was lactose intolerant. She's now on prescription SMA lactose free (saved us a fortune in formula costs!) and we're now (at nearly 8 months) starting to mix it with a little strawberry or chocolate soy milk to add a little flavour to it. We have to be careful with her food jars though as sometimes there's dairy in there, it's just a case of checking the ingredients before lobbing in the shopping trolley.

We've tested her on Alpro yoghurts as well, and all's good so far. She may grow out of it in a few more months, and after her 1st birthday we plan on slowly introducing dairy milk instead of soy.

Remember though, every child is different - check with your GP before changing anything too drastically as it could be a dairy or lactose intolerance (there is a difference), but at the same time it could be a reaction to an ingredient in the formula.

30. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Roriffet...You conveniently ignored the word PROABABLY...anyway I will just ignore you...seeing as you are one of the people who interpret a thread to suit yourself. I only made observations based on my professional experience...I offered advice only...;-) the fact is a GP should always ask you to check / test different formulas first...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.