• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Reflections of Christmas

Butch499

Hi,

As it's that time of year, I went to Aachen in Germany yesterday, a few miles from where I live, to do some shopping and hoping to get some photos for the comp. I have been thinking that as it's coming up to Christmas I would try and get some of that atmosphere in a photo and was thinking about the Christmas market they have there. But as the daylight was going and while crossing a street, I noticed the lights from the street behind me reflecting on the glass facade of this cafe oposite, which has it's own lights as well. I took a few pics, and this is one that I like. There is a lot going on, people and contrating architecture and I hope this makes it an interesting and topical picture. I used a bit of PP to get some rotation and bit more contrast and cropped it as best I could. The wide angle plays havoc with perspectives!

Have a great Christmas! :hiya:

EXIF: (I reset my camera date/time in a hurry before I went out & and got the yymmdd date format and the wrong 4 o'clock (it was actually 4:22 PM) in the exif by mistake, even Aachen doesn't have Christmas decorations up in August!)

Make - Hewlett-Packard
Model - HP PhotoSmart R717 (V01.00)+
DateTime - 2006:12:08 4:22:42
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
DateTimeOriginal - 2006:12:08 04:22:42
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/19 seconds
ApertureValue - F 2.87
BrightnessValue - 1.32
MaxApertureValue - F 2.64
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
Flash - Not fired,
FocalLength - 8.00 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 39 mm

Attachments

• resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 118

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Nice image, but is it me - or does it look slightly distorted, like you have reduced the width slightly more than the height?

When you did the perpective correction, you have to be a bit careful about getting the proportions correct.

Butch499

Hi Liquid101, you are right. But I have not tried to correct the perspective, it's as it came out of the camera. I had to stand opposite the left corner of the building to get the street and building reflections to line up. BUT... I was working on this image last night and trying several resize options. Something went wrong with my last save, as I just redid the resize as test from the original and got a different aspect ratio for the same image areas in the crop. :oops: !
I also lost my internet connection just as I was going to post the image, so decided to call it a night and started again a lunchtime today. I knew which pic I had decided on so just attached the file and posted, and now I too can see the problem. The correct image ratio is as in the photo attached here. I hope that as it's the same image I can use this one. (if OK with Zone).

Thanks for pointing it out! :smashin:

Butch499

I've been to Aachen a few times, beautiful city from what I remember. Nice image :smashin:

Thanks Steve, Aachen has a fantasic cathederal and city hall, but much of the city was destroyed in the second world war so has some pretty dreary architecture too. Good shopping though!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom