1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflection , screen in a bright room

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chuckster, Jul 1, 2003.

1. chuckster

chuckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want a flat panel to go in a conservatory. The problem is, of course, that it is pretty bright in there and the 32"CRT we currently have in there is pretty much unviewable most of the day.
    I've therefore started looking at LCD as they don't reflect much, but of course they are expensive per inch compared to plasma. So..are there any plasma screens which are particularly good in bright conditions? Looking at the Sony KLV30MR against the plasma's in the Bluewater Sony shop the difference in reflection was hugely in favour of the LCD.
    Sorry for such a lame first post :(
    Txs
    Chuck

2. Adamb

Adamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chuck, had a similar problem to yours with a CRT and fitted some blinds which helped quite a bit, also kept the conservatory a lot cooler. Might be worth a try rather than spending a fortune on a Lcd.

3. Craig B

Craig B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely try before you buy. Every laptop I have ever used has been absolutely hopeless in very bright light. I know the tv lcd's are better in this respect but by how much I'm not sure.

4. chuckster

chuckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I can get the Sony from Costco and they are very good at returns so try before you buy is definitely on.
    Whilst speaking to a salesman at John Lewis I found out that the LCD we were looking at (brand has escaped me :rolleyes: ) 'absorbs' (ie doesn't reflect) up to 80% of light thrown at it..this came up before I mentioned where it would be used...he said you could drag the thing outside if you wanted...of course salesmen are reknown to only tell the whole truth ;)
    Ta
    Chuck

5. Gordie Glasgow

Gordie Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chuck. It sounds like you were looking at one of the Aquos Range from sharp in JLP. What the salesman told you was pretty much true! Its to do with the black panel when the screen is off as well as a non reflective coating covering the screen! (not sure if other manuf. have this.) The thing about the sony KLV30MR if found is that whilst it is stunningy designed with the 'floating speakers' (hope we are talking about the same model) is that because the surround the screen is glass then it seems to relfect the light from there, whilst this doesnt cause any loss of picture quality (if there is any.. but thats a different subject!) it draws my eye away from the screen image. Not sure if you noticed this, maybe it's just me.
    Hope this helps in a small way.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    chuckster

I find conservatory ownership a bit of a conundrum - its still pretty much a glorified porch in our house.

Without full window shades and boiler fired heating system its a glass room that yesterday in the bright sunshine (mustn't complain) was 56.8C and in mid winter gets down to -20C.

No CRT, LCD or Plasma is gong to compete head on with the sun so window and roof shades (black backed) are a definite if your going to go down this route.

The only technology you could use without window shades would be a projector and a daylight viewing screen of the sort we use in shops and window displays . See www.reversa.co.uk

Best regards

Joe

7. chuckster

chuckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GG, yes the glass surround was very reflective, which highlights the fact the screen isn't..and yep Aquos it was.
    Joe, thanks for the response...there is never direct sunlight on the screen position, so the CRT has a picture one can view...just not optimal and brightness has to whacked right up.
    Oh and Pilkington has some pretty nifty glass these days, granted the doors are left open but the conservatory is always habitable ;)
    The reversa screen looks pretty damn cool, I have a nice 4 metre wall in there...hell I should just put it out front and start a drive-in theatre to help fund it! LOL
    I'm still trying to justify £3400 for a 30" screen...from what I've heard/seen however a plasma wouldn't improve on the CRT from the original 'reflective' point of view so I'll be trying the Sony (and damn it's glorious looking ;) )
    Ta
    Chuck