Reflecting on OLED reflections

Uppsalaing

How bad are OLED reflections to deal with in a normal livingroom environment?

I checked out TVs at an electronics shop on my way back from the cinema today and was surprised by how reflective the OLEDs were... anything black turned the screen into a mirror...

Is this a common symptom? Is it a result of the non-calibrated "show room" settings? Is this a non-issue?

I have an LED TV at the moment, in a bright livingroom. It suffers a little bit from this, but it seems OLED takes it to another level.

We'll probably buy a new 4k TV by the end of the year. 65 - 70 inch. So I have time to decide but was wondering how people are finding living with OLED reflections...

raymondo77

The screens are "glossy" so are inherently reflective. However, the anti-glare coating does a good job (on the LG OLEDs I've owned anyway) dealing with them in general, and because there's no gap between the outer panel and the actual screen they're pretty good in a bright room, in my opinion.

The 2017 models have enough brightness to reject all but the worst reflections, and from my previous experience with LCD TVs (Sony W905A and a Samsung JS9000) they are far less intrusive in day to day usage.

Not sure how much that helps, if you're anywhere near Reading you're welcome to see one in situ, for reference.

Rob20

I read in 'Scientific American' magazine this month about a company developing an anti reflective coating based on their observations of how a moth's eye works. Apparently a moth's eye has convex dimples that prevent light being reflected back. The system this company has developed uses concave dimples, but they have measured a reflection level of only 1%. The main issue at the moment is cost and they would need to scale up the operation. However, seeing as one of tech screens biggest flaws is reflectivity, they surely have a huge market to aim at. If your phone didn't reflect so much light back, you wouldn't need to have the screen as bright and would benefit from longer battery usage and it would be nice not to have to put the blinds down to watch tv during the day.

Our LG OLED (slightly curved) is under a 90 degree angle of a pair of 10 foot wide patio doors. Unlike with the plasma it replaced I never felt compelled closing the blinds during the day with the sun on it.

However reflections are a funny thing, it can also depends on the distance from your seat, the angle height and side, etc. For us it is a non issue.

Uppsalaing

Thanks for the replies (and for the generous offer to view)...

I think it'll be ok. It'll be such a large upgrade in size from what is currently in that room (43 inch to 65 inch) that I don't think it'll be an issue ;)

DiscoNinja

I have a curved JS9000 that I can't watch dark content on during the day (top floor apartment)

Not sure it's inherently an OLED issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom