Reflecterol screen paint vs dream screen sample vs Grey steel 2

Doctor Smith

It's Licorice

Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Could this work? Midnight Black wickes. Sorry can't post link as copy and paste not working.

Conrad

Not sure about that one.
Dulux Black is pretty close, Rich Black is Neutral.

To be honest, the trouble you'll go to with mixing I'd be tempted just to buy a pot of GS1.

Doctor Smith

I don't want it that grey. Could I mix a gs1 tester with the Gs3?

Conrad

GS2 then?

the mix would work, they're both completely neutral. You might end up with blotches if it's not mixed well?

What about a coat of GS1 with a coat of GS4 over it?

Doctor Smith

GS2 then?

the mix would work, they're both completely neutral. You might end up with blotches if it's not mixed well?

What about a coat of GS1 with a coat of GS4 over it?
I will try gs1 and Gs3 mixed. I've given my screen 2 coats and not even used a quarter of a tin.Will mix it in a separate pot so at least I will have the Gs3 if it goes wrong. Thanks again.

Doctor Smith

Screen painted with polished Pebble, small amount of GS1 and very tiny amount of rich black. Only watched a 10 minute clip of Anabelle comes home, really impressed with the results so far.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
applied 2x primer and now 1x coat of reflecterol. the performance is shockingly good but sadly my surface prep is inadequete. i can see some mild DSE/lines on a pure white screen and I have a very very small dent which i can see too. (god knows when this happened). Not sure how to deal with these issues.

the small dent it surely fill in the hole and paint it.
the lines I am nbot sure if they are irregularities in the screen or from the painting (its only the first coat).

so screen versus paint, I would say its a mixed bag but ultimately I feel the reason for going for a screen is easy and simple from this use case - the uniformity issues of an improper application are obvious.

Doctor Smith

I watched my first film on my newly painted screen mix of Gs3, GS2 and a dash of black. However in bright scenes I can see DSE and lines. I used a good quality 4in nap roller with 2 coats. Where have I gone wrong. Anything I can do to improve it?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I watched my first film on my newly painted screen mix of Gs3, GS2 and a dash of black. However in bright scenes I can see DSE and lines. I used a good quality 4in nap roller with 2 coats. Where have I gone wrong. Anything I can do to improve it?
Which type of lines can you see mate ? Any photos or videos ?

Doctor Smith

They are invisible on camera and when the pj is off. Let me see if I can find a similar pattern on Google

Doctor Smith

Which type of lines can you see mate ? Any photos or videos ?
I've attached what it looks like highlighted Its in different areas of the screen. About a quarter of the screen in total.
1646125132-picsay.jpg

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've attached what it looks like highlighted Its in different areas of the screen. About a quarter of the screen in total.
Can’t find the photo mate

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
I had the same issues Ken, if you place a strong enough light against any rolled paint surface you’ll see lines, no matter how carefully you roll it.

Thats why I’m wondering if a spray gun job is the way to go, seems like spray gun hire or simply paying a professional might be the way to go.

Can your paint be applied via spray?

Doctor Smith

I don't think I would have the confidence to use a spray gun. Hiring a professional wouldnt be far off the same price as buying a screen.

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
Even with the ever so slight roll marks or texture revelation that ultimately comes from a non-polished plaster, you’re still getting a better surface than most sub £600 screens, imo.

sim12

I don't think I would have the confidence to use a spray gun. Hiring a professional wouldnt be far off the same price as buying a screen.
TBF such as a cheap wagner spray gun is fairly easy to use and cheap to buy, you just have to get the paint at the right consistency, if in any doubt just practise elsewhere first.

Doctor Smith

Sorted the screen. For anyone who wants to know how. I gave it 3 coats. Using Professional Finish Short Pile Roller Sleeve from Wickes. So far I've watched bright and dark clips and I haven't noticed any dse effect. I also found mixing polished pebble with gs1 made the picture too dull. I think I've found a happy medium with polished pebble.

Navnut

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022