Quantcast

Reflecta or Winait Film Scanner Super 8 - Normal 8

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
I need some clarification on which way to go. This area is very new to me and would like your input. There are it seems three models here in the UK that will create a copy from my old family 8mm films to DVD. I was given this task by my mother due to the large bill she was given when my sister took charge of this project. I knew I should have taken it on before and we are where we are. That last bill was over £500! My theory is to do all the 8mm films by a machine at home. This area is not new to me as I was a medical photographer many years ago and edited back then 16mm films. There are a ton of films that need to be processed. I want to get all this asap before my mother dies. She would love to go through old memories of our families past on the TV screen. The two machines that seem to be available in the UK are the two I have given in the header. Reflecta Super 8 Regular 8 Scanner or the Winait 5"&3" Reel 8mm Roll Film & Super8 Roll Film Digital Film Video Scanner. The two are on Amazon.uk:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07142W...colid=J5BJHTKGL1ZA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XQNZBC5/?coliid=I2WELS5S6JQETW&colid=J5BJHTKGL1ZA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
There is another, Mersoco, but that seems to be given a negative review in several places. I am quite aware of the problems reviews are. So I have to weed out the ones that could be manufacturing faults, human errors etc. Have any of yo had any experiences with any of these machines? And how can I clean the films without too much damage?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Tony,

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this for getting the answers you want - have you tried any of the other sub forums? I hope you manage to decide which machine to get.

I did something similar myself years ago, but with a standard projector projecting onto a small screen and a video camera. The results were only 'satisfactory' at best, but what you are looking at should give far superior results so you can't lose using either model. Like you I can only go on the reviews there and any others I'd find online.

I seem to remember there being a cleaning fluid for still camera negatives and some runner tongs for 'squeegeeing' the excess off, but a google search found this forum, but there are probably others:

8mm Forum: Cleaning and Lubricating Old Films

It may be a more useful forum for finding out more about the machines in question or something better as well.

Good luck and hope you get some great results for your mum. If you do, could you post back with an update? I'm sure some other people will want to do something similar in the future and this could be just what they're after if they search this forum.

Cheers.

Tonyphotoplus

Standard Member
Hi Tony
I seem to remember there being a cleaning fluid for still camera negatives and some runner tongs for 'squeegeeing' the excess off, but a google search found this forum, but there are probably others:
Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. As an old photographer, I use to work in darkrooms as well as taking pics. The material the film is made with I wouldn't want to use the old methods. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate it. It is amazing how little info is out there about the two machines. I see so much of an American design which we can't get here. Now all I have to do is see how to clean the films up. I will look at the link you gave me. Need to do this soon.
Thank you again

Top Bottom