Reference uhd disks

Lglee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of reference uhd/atmos disks on this site ?
Cheers
Lee

Cheers
Lee
Pacific Rim
Sicario
Blade runner
Blade runner 2049
John wick 2
13 hours secret soldiers of benghazi.

Loads more that I'm sure peeps will help.chip in.with.

Cheers
Lee
Not sure there is mate, but plenty of guidance around here if you look for it.
Some of my personal favs (though I’m by far no expert) are -
Sicario
Hostiles
T2 (controversial I know)
Paddington 2
Tomb Raider 2018
Saving Private Ryan

There are a few BD/UHD review sites that allow you to sort by video grade - should give you a decent guide.

A recommendation from me - Transformers: Last Knight.

Recent one from me would be Fury.

Recent one from me would be Fury.
Didn't you find that the black levels were severely elevated throughout? One example would be when they were climbing the stairs to the apartment the mother and daughter were in?

There are a few BD/UHD review sites that allow you to sort by video grade - should give you a decent guide.

A recommendation from me - Transformers: Last Knight.

Shame about the movie itself ;)
I'm surprised anyone could sit through the garbage long enough to comment on the quality or if it is reference quality at all ;) lol

Neil

Didn't you find that the black levels were severely elevated throughout? One example would be when they were climbing the stairs to the apartment the mother and daughter were in?
Not that I noticed especially, but I use a projector and lumagen combo so my experience may be different. Was more coming from a detail and resolution perspective. I.e. I use it to show people how detailed 4k can be.

Shame about the movie itself ;)
I'm surprised anyone could sit through the garbage long enough to comment on the quality or if it is reference quality at all ;) lol

Neil
Can't argue on the quality of the film but the image is stunning in DV.

Not that I noticed especially, but I use a projector and lumagen combo so my experience may be different. Was more coming from a detail and resolution perspective. I.e. I use it to show people how detailed 4k can be.
The IMAX shots in Interstellar would be great for that.

The IMAX shots in Interstellar would be great for that.
It is! I find that non-enthusiasts appreciate different things though, black levels not being high up the list. Detail, resolution and saturation/colour get a wow more than anything else

I'm steadily building a small library. Blade Runners, Deadpool, Shape of water (STUNNING), Last Jedi, The Matrix and the top of the pile has to be Planet Earth 2. I've only recently been able to view in HDR, HLG and DV, I'm finding that the richness in colour is becoming more of a wow factor than the finer details of 4k, I'll keep checking for all your suggestions

Having consumed most of what's been mentioned in this thread already, I've actually found myself most impressed so far with The Greatest Showman.

Having consumed most of what's been mentioned in this thread already, I've actually found myself most impressed so far with The Greatest Showman.
What he said

Just ordered The Greatest Showman and looking forward to seeing it in 4K. Can recommend Passengers as reference quality – finely detailed with a subtle colour range.

Blade Runner 2049 and The Dark Knight are without doubt the two best discs I own by far

Saving pr is essential. Not only does it look good but its also an essential movie for viewing rather than just showing off your system
Many movies out on 4k look excellent but are second rate as films with no repeat viewing value. There aren't enough good films out on 4k bluray A good picture doesn't make a good movie. There is more too it than that..
A lot more

I know that I've just commented on it on The Revenant thread, but I'm quite surprised that nobody else has mentioned that film on here, as I personally think that some of the snowy and scenery shots in that film are amazing and are some of the best 4k content that I've ever seen!
Stephen :)

Darkest Hour and Murder On The Orient Express have outstanding PQ. 2 catalogue releases that have impressed me are Braveheart and The Patriot.

The Revenant
Pacific Rim (Both)
Deadpool 1
Saving Private Ryan
The Matrix
Logan
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

Have to highly recommend some older stuff like;
Starship Troopers
Leon
The Unforgiven
American Psycho

Wish list: Heat, Jaws, Shawshank, True Lies, The Abyss, Aliens, The Thing, Back To The Future, everything Fincher....everything Scorsese...

I may be biased as it was my first UHD, but Life of Pi was excellent for me. Some may say a 2k DI cannot be reference, but that gave me a 'wow'.

I may be biased as it was my first UHD, but Life of Pi was excellent for me. Some may say a 2k DI cannot be reference, but that gave me a 'wow'.

The whole 2K/4K DI thing is utter nonsense, some 2K DIs look amazing (Life of Pi, John Wick 2 & Pacific Rim all take a bow) and some 4K DIs can be nothing special

'Darkest Hour' for me is the best for rich detail I've seen. For cinematic scope, its companion piece 'Dunkirk' takes some beating too. The Revenant is up there, mind.

Leon is my favourite pre-digital 4k film conversion. I do wonder how epics like Lawrence of Arabia will turn out...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom