reference levels

upallnight

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i keep reading hear and there how most of you listen at reference levels.
And i would love to know how you get away with it
I have had mine up to -13 once and that was madness
I'm sure you don't all live in detached houses in the middle of the desert!

a quick question while on this subject

when setting levels with spl meter do you adjust amp volume so 75db shows up(then match each ch) ,or turn down individual ch levels on amp setup screen while volume is at reference level?

cheers
leigh

I get to try reference levels cause i work in a shop with a dem room thats all you need!

Originally posted by leighprice23
i keep reading hear and there how most of you listen at reference levels.
And i would love to know how you get away with it
I have had mine up to -13 once and that was madness
I'm sure you don't all live in detached houses in the middle of the desert!

a quick question while on this subject

when setting levels with spl meter do you adjust amp volume so 75db shows up(then match each ch) ,or turn down individual ch levels on amp setup screen while volume is at reference level?

cheers
leigh

leighprice23,

I have posted an explanation on Reference Level on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115917&perpage=&pagenumber=2

thanks tk2001
will give that a try tommorow
very clearly explained
cheers

leigh

My niegbours are quite good....plus if i run it at reference level, then i can not hear them banging on the door.
They only really complain with one film, Pirates of the Caribbean.....they tell me there doors start rattleing, with the canon fire....:eek:

i too rarely go above -10db finding it loud enough. when im sat in the cinema, it really doesn't sound much louder than i have it at home. so i always wondered whether cinemas replay movies at reference level or not? anyone know?

i imagine it would
as most cinemas are a fair old size, and it must have to throw out some volume to get the sound to fill the place

ah yes but surely -10db in my living room is going to sound more or less the same as -10db in a cinema? (presuming that both i and the cinema have calibrated 0db to be 75db SPL at the listening position from each speaker). its probably a bit louder in my living room due to zero acoustic treatment and some reflective walls? 75db in my room will require significantly less power than a large cinema, but power is unimportant - it should be the same SPL at -10db regarless of the power required to generate it and the size of room.

Surely reference level in a cinema would only be applicable to one seat though.

would it? in a room that big with loads of acoustic treatment, wouldn't it be roughly the same over much of the centre area of the auditorium, getting perhaps slightly louder as you moved towards the front? i'm guessing that surround SPLs will be much the same wherever you are due to the height and number of speakers used?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom