Reference levels and Elite hdmi

genoa1893

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I own a Samsung 46M86 and I have purchased an Elite.

Now, my doubt is about the right reference level to use on hdmi output...

Someone knows which is the right reference level the hdmi port on my Tv expect to receives? (right IRE on hdmi port?)

Thank you in advance

I am asking the same question but for my SOny V2000. I used to have intermediate for VGA but its too black via hdmi so i have gone for standard. Not as bright but not as dark. Dunno if its right or not lol

As with everything else TV related go with what looks best to you.

I had to use Expanded on my Samsung R74 otherwise I got horrible ghosting.

christ i couldn't use expanded, just too dark and no matter how much i changed brightness ad contrast it stayed thta way

I have the TV stated in my Sig and when i was using VGA i had it set to Expanded and that was ideal, when i got the elite i set it to Expanded also.

I noticed straight away though that this was too dark to i set it to intermediate which was right for my TV.

I used the Bioshock demo to check how dark the image was :smashin:

With my TV, standard gives the best results. Tested using a grab of the SkyHD test card, played as a 1920x1080 video through the XB360 media player. This gives (almost?) identical results to playing the original test card on SkyHD.

I set mine to expanded and then just adjusted using the THX logo on Finding nemo :)

I found that if I had it set to anything else, the blacks were all washed out and grey looking. So expanded it was for me!

yep,expanded here too..blacks are black..it looks great.

I did have expanded on VGA with my premium.
Same settings with the Elite on HDMI are waaaaay too dark, so i've changed to intermediate :smashin:

I have a 40M87 and have the referance levels set at Expanded.

Make sure you have the HDMI Black Level set to standard on your tv as low will make the image to dark.

All my other settings are the same as HDTVTest reccomend.

I also adjust the backlight setting depending on what time of day it is, ie 1 in low light conditions and 6-8 in daylight.

Linky http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/2007/04/22/samsung-le40m86bd-settings/

I have a 40M87 and have the referance levels set at Expanded.

Make sure you have the HDMI Black Level set to standard on your tv as low will make the image to dark.

All my other settings are the same as HDTVTest reccomend.

I also adjust the backlight setting depending on what time of day it is, ie 1 in low light conditions and 6-8 in daylight.

Linky http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/2007/04/22/samsung-le40m86bd-settings/

But if you set hdmi black level to low and reference levels to standard, can you obtain the same results or you prefer your stettings? (if you've tried)

Has anyone got any good resources for making sure that you have the right black level once you have chosen the correct reference level.

I set mine to intermediate by choosing all three different reference levels on the bioshock brightness bar.

Standard was too bright, Expanded was too dark and when set to Intermediate it was just right.

Has anyone else got something else that i can try also ?

I'd be curious to know the right IRE level (0 or 7.5) that hdmi ports on newer panels expect to receive....:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom