1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reference 200 up and running

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MrJubbly, Jan 26, 2005.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was hoping to post this under a previous thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181799) but this got closed. Thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182520
    explains the probable reason why. If there's any truth in it then it's a real shame 'cos until now I'd had nothing but praise for the guys at MJA.

Anyhow, I now have my Reference 200 up and running, and I'm really rather chuffed with it. Knocks the socks of my previous sub. Much more musical and definately delivers the slam in movies when required. I still want to tweak it a bit more but this is what I've set up so far:

SUB connections

High Level is connected to my stereo mains.
    Low Level connected to Amps centre pre-out.
    LFE connected to the Amps Sub out.

Amp Settings

Crossover = 80Hz.
    LFE set to output to Mains & sub.
    Main fronts = Large.
    Centre = Large.

Sub Setting - Preset 1

Hi/Lo xover = 45 Hz
    Hi/Lo Gain = -36db
    LFE xover = 45Hz
    LFE Gain = -36db

I use this for music. On paper my main stereo pair cutover at 35Hz. 45Hz set on the sub seems to give me the better sound. Not really sure if I need the high level anymore for this. It's about the only thing i didn't really experiment with. I'll try this out later in the year.

Sub Setting - Preset 2

Hi/Lo xover = 60 Hz
    Hi/Lo Gain = -36db
    LFE xover = 90Hz
    LFE Gain = -36db

I'll use this for films. On paper my centre cuts over at 55Hz. I've set 60Hz on the sub as this seemd to yieid the best sound (to my old ears anyhow :D ).

One problem I did notice today. My sub is on the opposite wall from my listening position, about a foot out from the back wall and about 3ft from the side wall. I was playing some bass heavy music and as a walked away from my usual listening position, and past the sub, I noticed that there was a lot of 'boominess' (for want of a better word) over in side/corner of the room where the sub is. I tried moving the sub around, and messing around with the phase, but to no avail. Any ideas what could be causing this and what I can do about it? Any help would be great.

Regards,

Jubbly

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Glad you have your sub up and running :)

Do a search on BFD's on the forum, it might be just the thing you need to cancel out that boom. Some rooms are bass friendly, but most unfortunately are not :(. I use seven filters on my BFD, and it has helped a lot!

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If the boom is only in a part of the room where you don't listen then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Without properly treating the room acoustically you're always going to get boomy and quiet bits in different places within your room.

4. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I did happen across BFDs when downloading test tones from snapbug (I was going to do some Sub SPL readings for Nimby at different frequencies, which unfortunately never quite happend. But that's another story). They look rather neat, and it may be something I look at in the future.

Since posting I have had a bit more of a tweak.

The first thing I did was to free up some cables so I could move the sub further round in the room. This still made no difference. What I did notice though was that it wasn't just one corner that had the problem. The corner on the other side of the room was also affected.

I then revisited my settings for preset 1 (for music). At this point I realised that I had the LFE xover set to 80Hz, and not 45Hz. As I didn't see the point of having the LFE set at all I just took this right down to 20Hz and the gain down to -99. This made a hell of a difference. I also changed the hi/lo xover
    to 40Hz and the gain to -31db and... :D :D :D :cool: .

The bass is still gets boomy, but its only as you get right into the corner, and as I don't spend much time there I'm happy for the time being.

Regards,

Jubbly

5. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Jubbly,

How are you getting on with the Ref 200 ??

After finding out that the baby SVS isn't so 'baby' afterall, and the desire to have an Oak finish, the Ref 200 is now at the top of my list - besides which, it would be nice to buy British for once !

Cheers,
    Mark

6. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

We're getting along fine. I'm still making the odd tweak, but so far I'm impressed.

Regards,

Jubbly

7. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, can anyone recommend some films for putting my sub through it paces. Obviously looking for scenes with good 'slams' and also some that have some real low LFEs.

Cheers,

Jubbly