1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing Z3 projector screen size....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neil c, Jul 3, 2005.

1. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a Sanyo Z3, and to get a picture size that I'm happy with the Z3 is currently sitting on a coffee table infront and slightly to the right of the viewing area (just under 4 metres from the screen area), and I'd much prefer to have the PJ away from the middle of the room.

I've got an AV rack sat on the back wall in line with the sofa on which I would like to place the Z3. But, the Z3s image is just too big when it's sat on the AV rack, although it's lens shift makes for a perfect picture placement!

I'm not completely against a ceiling mount, but I'd prefer to go with a cheaper and more flexible solution than buying a £200 ceiling bracket and spending £100 for longer budget cables, plus finding the time to install it all.

Is there anyway (other than ceiling mounting and coffee table-ing!) that I can reduce the screen size? I was hoping that there may be a lens or a similiar device available?

Otherwise I'm seriously considering swapping the Z3 for an AE700, which I could just wall mount on a bracket above the viewing area and would fit within the length restrictions of my current cables (HDMI, component, S-video, VGA &power cable).

Any news on the Z4? If Sanyo include the same spec lens shift as the Z3 and just add a 2.0 (or even 2.5!) optical zoom, I really will be laughing.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    PJs are fantastic but the only reason they don't sell by the shed load is 'cause they take a little more effort (and expense) to set up. But the end result is worth it.

Rule No 1. Put the PJ in the right place. Ceiling mount it, central to your viewing position. I agree the some companies take the p1$$ with the cost of ceiling mounts but there are less expensive alternatives including DIY. Again agree about the cables but I spent less than £20 on a 15m component cable and less than £50 on a 15m DVI with very good results.

My advice is get it in the right place, fully hooked up. It's worth it...PJ :)

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You might be better off swapping for the AE700. The zoom on that is very flexible.

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I had the same issue as yourself neil and I nearly swapped my Z3 for the panny, I'm now glad I did'nt and will be mounting the pj on the ceiling shortly.
    It's going be bit of a job but I reckon it will be worth it.

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've almost made the same decision as you gingerone.

The AE700 would fit perfectly on a bracket above the sofa on the back wall. All the cables will accommodate this placement. But, this means changing my projector, and I quite like the Z3 for all the obvious pro's it provides. The AE700 doesn't have quite the same reliable reputation that the Z3 has. Getting the AE700 is probably the easy option.

The other option is to do my research and stick with the coffee table until I can confidently ceiling mount the Z3. The problem is that I didn't really want to ceiling mount because of the look (although better than a coffee table) and because of the inflexibility in moving the projector. If the next-gen of PJ's all have the Z3's lens shift and the AE700s 2.0 optical zoom, then I'll no longer need the ceiling mount - the PJ will quite happily provide a decent picture from my AV rack.

I've been measuring up a ceiling mount position, but I've not done this before and I don't have a clue about drilling supports into the ceiling - what do I need to look out for? So far it seems that 5 metre cable runs should be ample, how do you normally hide them? And how about the power lead?

The Vogels mounts look reasonable, does anyone have any other reccomendations? I'd rather not go the DIY route, I just don't trust myself or have the tools. I could stomach an extra £150 on a mount and a couple of cables to get it sorted.

I might take some pictures of the setup later, and maybe someone might be able to provide some advice?

6. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Get it ceiling mounted, it's much easier than you think! IIRC it took me about an hour to get it up and positioned. I've got a LMP mount which looks good and is easy to put together, I think they are going for about £85+VAT. and that should leave enough to get a decent cable .

The other added benifits of having it mounted securely is that you are unlike to have it knocked over and damaged, which was always my biggest fear.

Good luck.

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the input Stripe, I'll look up the LMB mounts now.

How did you know that the ceiling would support the PJ and that you weren't going to drill into electrics and anything else that you generally shouldn't drill into? My old man has been telling me that it's difficult to secure fixtures to ceilings due to the floorboards and plaster potentially not supporting the weight.

I really appreciate all this help. Unfortunately I normally spend alot of time mincing over decisions like this, so I'm going to try and get this one made today - I just consider myself lucky enough to be able to make a decision between wall mounting one excellent projector and ceiling mounting another!

If anyone else has any reccomendations, I'm all ears!

8. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was very lucky, I just put my Z3 on a floating shelf unit from ikea which I had bought two years previously and had positioned with the PJ in mind! The Z3 has side venting but you are still supposed to leave 50cm clearance at rear, I have about 15cm clearance - no problems yet mind...

9. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'm looking at the LMP mounts as well. you can buy devices from B&Q which will check for wires and screws in the ceiling.
    As long as you find the joist and screw it to that it will be plenty strong enough.
    You can find the joist by using said device to find the nails that the plasterboard is secured with(they all run in a line so just screw in along that line).
    The only reason I'm still waiting is that I'll have to pull all the carpets and floorboards up upstairs.

10. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will I have to pull up the carpet and floorboards, or is that because you are running the cables under the floorboards?

Is running plastic retangular cable tubing (I can't remember the DIY name for the stuff) up the wall and across the ceiling a viable option? I really don't want to bury cables.

11. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Yeah, I'm only pulling floorboards as my wife does'nt want any trunking running across the ceiling.
    If you dont mind having trunking then that is the easiest way to go.

12. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
  13. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The thread won't work for some reason.

14. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Neil C,

When you say 'too big' what do you mean by that? I'd have thought you'd be on or around the 100" screen size from that throw.

Regards

Mark

15. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
  16. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I sit parallel with the Z3 (sofa and Z3 at the back wall, about 4m from the screen) I get around a 100" screen. I find this size to be way too big to view comfortably. From this distance I prefer to view a 70" image. It looks alot sharper, and I find it alot more comfortable. The AE700 has the right throw distance.

The telephoto lens idea has got me very interested! Does anyone know what sort of lens I'd need to reduce the image by around 30 - 40%?

17. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Heh, and there I deliberately sized mine to give me a 100" at about 4m.

Still, life would be so boring if we were all the same. :)

Regards

Mark

18. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had mine at that exact setup for quite a while, the Z3 was sat right next to me and I zoomed to the minimum screen size.

I've come to realise that I really do prefer a smaller image, especially for when I play a few video games. It also means that I can fit more people into the room and they can sit nearer to the image without it being unwatchable.
    I've currently got the Z3 pushed around 50 or 60cm infront of me, and that produces an almost perfect image, but lens shift is unfortunately maxed out.

Does anyone know what I need to buy to test for electrical cables in walls? I'm off to B&Q tomorrow.

19. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone know how the check the number of hours used on the Z3? I can't find anything about it in the manual.

20. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Apparently you tap the power button a few times and it quickly shows in the top left corner.
    I've yet to get it to work however.
    Just ask in B&Q , it's a little meter that you hold against the wall and it beeps if there is any cables, pipes or nails in the wall.
    Should'nt cost much.

21. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While Z3 is on press and hold power button down for 30 seconds - both remote or z3 power button work for this. :)