1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing size of digi photos for website - help!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by David E, May 20, 2005.

1. David E

David E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to digital photography and the forum.
    I've taken pictures to add to my business website (thewaterbedman.co.uk) but had problems when reducing pics to the size required, hence several pictures are much larger than necessary. You will see the problem in all pics where the product poses with a white website name label - a loss of sharpness of text on product labels and my name label.
    My camera is a Pentax Optio 330 (3.34 megapixels) and I've tried using MGI PhotoSuite SE and ACD See to reduce the pics.
    Do you think the problem is wrong camera settings, insufficient camera pixels, the photo editing programs, or the 'photgrapher'? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    David E

2. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
  3. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    The problem isnt your camera but the partly the software you are using and partly the way you are using the software.

Text cab be a bit of a nightmare to render properly within a jpeg or gif but there are one or two 'tricks' you can use to get much better results.

Firstly I would advise getting a better program than Photosuite. You would actually be better off getting a web graphics editor rather than a photo editor and without a doubt the best one is Fireworks. You wont need the latest version so you should be able to pick up an older version very cheapily, i've seen copies of Fireworks 4 go for £20 and as little as £5 on Ebay in the past.

If you do get Fireworks the secret is to use the PNG format (Fireworks default format) and only resize the total image after you've added the text. The beauty of PNG is that its scalable without degrading quality. Therefore open up your photo at full size, then use the text tool to add your text and then just resize it to the dimensions you want for your website. You may still find that you want to use something like Crisp Anti-Alias for your text but its worth playing around to find which setting is best.

If you dont want to get Fireworks then you do things slightly differently. First open up your photo and resize it to the size you want for your website. Then and only then add your text, again selecting crisp anti-alias (if this is avaliable in Photosuite).

For both versions when you save for the web you want to set jpeg compression to around 70% and if you have the following options make sure that you are not adding any smooting and that you are selecting the option to sharpen colour edges.

HTH

4. David E

David E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the comprehensive advice re sizing - and so quickly too. Wow!