Reducing PVR Noise

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DangerMouse!, Aug 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One my problems with PVR's has been the noise from the HardDrives and fans.
    Some people don't notice this but being an intolerant git, I do, so this is how I over came the problem:

1) Found a PVR with no internal fan, in my case the Humax 8000
    Some PVR's like the DigiFusion have a fan that runs all the time even in standby.

2) Purchased a larger (I had the original 40GB one, 80GB is now the standard which may be quieter than the original 40GB drive) & quieter HardDrive
    In my experience Maxtor, Seagate & Samsung have the quietest drives.
    Any other suggestions for ultra quiet drives?

Samsung are the most silent but the 120GB spinpoint I tried did not work with the Humax.
    In the end I went with a Maxtor. Maxtor have a utility on their website to put the drive in Quiet mode but it didn't seem to make much difference, in fact the difference was not very noticeable between the Maxtor and the original, but the difference between the original and the Samsung was. :(

Anyone had any success with Samsungs and Humax?

3) This was the one that made the most difference. I purchased a product called the SilentBox from QuietPC. They have a couple of other similar products, anyone else tried them? or compared similar products?. This encases your hard drive in foam rubber and metal which reduces the noise so that even with the TV off you don't notice that the box is on. :smashin:
    Only problem now is that the case will not close fully at the back as the SilentBox is too high. On the bright side the Humax now runs colder due to increased ventilation.

4) Used the foam rubber off cuts as anti-vibration pads under the Humax legs.

Hope this has been of some use to other intolerant gits like myself :D

p.s. If you are thinking of buying a PVR don't be put off buy the noise issue as it's only really a problem if you are recording something and the TV is off

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Fans are included to remove the heat generated by the hard drive. This is why DVD recorders with hard drives have fans. In PC's the lower speed 5400 rpm drives generate less heat than the 7200 rpm drives. Fans are a good item to have in your PVR's - it means that the drive will last longer as overheating is the main cause of failure. The more confined the space in the unit (e.g. PVR's) - the hotter the drive will become. The fan in my Panasonic DVD recorder is located very close to the Samsung 80GB HDD.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If your fan is rattling try a slim bit of foam/rubber and some tape or glue to prevent rattling.

Some rubber feet on the bottom of the case directly under the drive and/or fan and/or beside the drive might also help reduce vibration.

You could always put the whole thing in a big thick box or cupboard as long as there is enough ventilation.

To increase heat dissapation an aluminium or copper sheet and a big metal/aluminium/copper heatsink would help if you have the money.

4. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aggreed, but there is no need for them to be on continuously; instead, they should be temperature controlled, just like modern PC mobo fans are.

For instance, I doubt very much that there is any need for the DigiFusion to have the fan on more than its slowest setting when in standby and not recording as the drive should be idle.

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    All my equipment is turned off at the mains when I am not using it. I don't needlessly waste power. The only time the Digifusion is left overnight on standby is Friday's to download the 14 day EPG. (keep this up to date because
    its necessary for two click recording setting).