Reducing picture noise

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jimbo73, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is there a way of reducing picture noise on a plasma?

I have a PDP 434 and have noticed that (looking from very close up) there is a fair amount of "noise" from all sources except VGA, which still has noise, but much less. Both scart inputs are set to RGB and I dont use the analogue tuner.

As the VGA signal is quite clean, I would have expected progresssive component from the DVD to have been clean as well (IIRC VGA is pretty much a component signal anyway). I've shielded the power cable going into the panel but I'm wondering if I should put the rest of the kit on a "clean" mains supply, or if there is something else worth trying?

Thanks!

PS. I've turned off all the picture processing and set contrast down to about 26 as this gives a much more clear and natural look, and I'm not using HDMI yet.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Interesting, I thought I was the only one who thought the 434 had a noisy picture. I don't think it's the mains, I find them all like that. You are simply fussy, and why not with a nearly 4k TV set. You've done all the right things so far, you could try playing with the contrast on Sky, if that's what you are using. The component is not particularly good, I reckon they have not spent any time on it because they'd love you to buy an 868. But a decent prog scan player should produce a fair picture, the 575 is not too bad, but really still a budget player. Any mates with a better player to try?

3. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks MAW - the noise doesn't bother me much at all, as it's not really visible from any reasonable viewing distance, however i think that reducing or even removing it would add greatly to the percieved PQ.

I dont have any mates with a 868, or even an HDMI player, and I'm not too keen on driving everything through the HTPC (which I know I could get a better picture from).

So you think the problem is more the media box rather than what I'm putting into it? Maybe a cheap (lol) HDMI scaler would be the answer?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes, the media box is the source of imperfections in the screen, the MX versions can be made to look noticeably better. I don't think a scaler will do masses for you, you'll still be unable to scale to native res, only to 720p. This would be a reasonable thing to do, digital TV in particular would benefit, but at £800+, and with a whole new set of problems, do you want to go there? Audio delay I find is a significant problem with all Pioneers, a scaler only makes it worse.